AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm trying to calibrate my Sanyo Z2000 PJ and did come up with this. See the file attached.

Anyone could help me improve the calibration, especially regarding the gamma and luminance?

For the colors, I'll do it later, it's just I didn't take enough time.

Any other hints or clues to improve the result?

Thank you.

Pitou!

User_Image4.zip 5.1787109375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitou /forum/post/17018582

Hello,

I'm trying to calibrate my Sanyo Z2000 PJ and did come up with this. See the file attached.

Anyone could help me improve the calibration, especially regarding the gamma and luminance?

For the colors, I'll do it later, it's just I didn't take enough time.

Any other hints or clues to improve the result?

Thank you.

Pitou!

I have very limited experience, but I had a very similar problem in regards to gamma and luminance when calibrating my Epson 6500ub. In the dummies guide he discusses running out of red, and that's what fixed my calibration. You need to turn down your contrast some until red is a smooth curve. I would adjust you contrast down a couple of ticks, and then rerun your grayscale. Once you get red in line then you can work on your gamma. I could never get my gamma right at high end and it was due to the contrast being too high. Once I got the gamma flattened the overall luminance curves line up much better with the optimum curve. I don't know what gamma adjustments you have, but on the Epson you can adjust different points on the line (a bit trial and error though).

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitou /forum/post/17018582

The first thing I would check is if you have different gamma presets or different picture mode presets. Try each and see if one of them returns a better gamma curve. This is really sort of awful.

Turning down your contrast may help with gamma and the grayscale at the top end, but the problem with that option is that you are already below 10fL and turning down the contrast will make this even lower. 12-16fL is where you should be.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Any lamp settings that could increase light output while allowing contrast to come down? I really wouldn't expect to be able to get a nice gamma/luminance curve until the contrast is lowered...

Also, you're reading off the screen, right? From what distance? Try to align the meter again, a misalignment coulld throw those Y values off...

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitou /forum/post/17026242

I'm pointing at the screen about 3-4 inches from it.

And it's not in a shadow, and you went through the orientation as described in the guide?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I made another attempt. I think I did better but now the problem resides in the FtL. This time I did align the probe at about 25 inches from the screen. I only get around 4, but even with the probe at 3-4 inches from the screen, I cannot get higher than about 8.

If I use the brightest factory preset, I can get around 16, but as soon as I start to calibrate, it drops to around 8. Any idea?

Thank you.

Pitou!

User_Image2.zip 4.9609375k . file

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitou /forum/post/17047658

I made another attempt. I think I did better but now the problem resides in the FtL. This time I did align the probe at about 25 inches from the screen. I only get around 4, but even with the probe at 3-4 inches from the screen, I cannot get higher than about 8.

If I use the brightest factory preset, I can get around 16, but as soon as I start to calibrate, it drops to around 8. Any idea?

Thank you.

Pitou!

Not sure if you ever answered Tom regarding presets... the runouts are gone, but the gamma is still low as is the peak luminance...

How many hrs on the lamp? Looks like the remote has a lamp control... is that on/off or levels?

Looks like u have 7 preset settings... try them temporarily and see if you get more light output... I'm assuming you're using a custom mode... what settings does that give you?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Glaufman,

Yes I have many presets, I tried them and the closest to D65 (I think) is what is called "Pure". I usually start from this one, target for D65 and save it as a custom profile.

There are some color temp, Low2, Low1, Default, High1, High2

Now, I could choose a preset like "Brilliant Cinema" or "Natural", which will give me plenty of FtL, but it's nowhere near D65.

My Lamp has 4 modes, Full, Auto1, Auto2, Eco, I usually try to run it at Auto1. Also, it's now at 1800h

If I choose Dynamic for example, the FtL, is high, but I have a hard time brining it close to D65, or if I succeed, it's dark with FtL around 8. It seems that whatever preset I choose as a starting point, in the end it's always the same. (Low FtL)

Here are the .chc for some presets, attached. Which one would start from? Or if one preset is close enough, which one would you use as the permanent one?

Thanks very much for your support!

Pitou!

Presets_chc.zip 10.76953125k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitou /forum/post/17048708

Hi Glaufman,

Yes I have many presets, I tried them and the closest to D65 (I think) is what is called "Pure". I usually start from this one, target for D65 and save it as a custom profile.

There are some color temp, Low2, Low1, Default, High1, High2

Now, I could choose a preset like "Brilliant Cinema" or "Natural", which will give me plenty of FtL, but it's nowhere near D65.

My Lamp has 4 modes, Full, Auto1, Auto2, Eco, I usually try to run it at Auto1. Also, it's now at 1800h

If I choose Dynamic for example, the FtL, is high, but I have a hard time brining it close to D65, or if I succeed, it's dark with FtL around 8. It seems that whatever preset I choose as a starting point, in the end it's always the same. (Low FtL)

Here are the .chc for some presets, attached. Which one would start from? Or if one preset is close enough, which one would you use as the permanent one?

Thanks very much for your support!

Pitou!

I hope Tom comes back as he can support you better than I, but...

If you're happy with most of your cal, try switching the lamp mode to full and see what it does to your readings (RGB, luminace, ftL)...

FWIW I think the Creative preset started a little closer to D65, but I wouldn't worry about that too much at this point...

What I would worry about though is that your meter is giving color readings off the CIE chart.... not simply out of the Rec.709 triangle, but off the chart...

Tom... is this even possible with a working and properly calibrated meter? Other light sources at play?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts