AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had some time last night to calibrate my projector. I must have spent three hours setting my grayscale. I have a VPL-VW100 "Ruby" and overall I was happy with the results. I used an eye2 display LT, HCFR software, avia dvd and PS3 to calibrate my display.

Here is my question, my delta e for ire 20-80 were all under 2, which is impressive, but my delta for 0 and 10 were way high... something like 30-40 and my delta for 100 ire was something like 12. When looking at the gamma curve on HCFR, the 0-10 were way below the 1.9 and almost everthing from 20-90 were on 1.9. Should I be concerned with these results, I thought I was shooting for 2.2? I do not have a video processor is there any further tweaking I can do?

Also of note is when measuring my ftl I was only getting 7.3. I have a studiotech 1.3 120 inch screen and my projector is almost as close as possible..... I believe like 12 ft away.

Next up is setting my primary and secondary colors. I will try and get that done tonight.

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

I hope you realize that the instrument readings from 0 to 10 ire are not to be trusted. No instrument under $40000 can give you anything close to a good reading down there.

Regards

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was aware that readings in that area are not to be trusted. I was just not sure how far off they should be.

Would these high readings be affecting my gamma, any reason why my gamma was following a gamma line of 1.9, instead of 2.2?

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
greetings

Off by a whole bunch or close. ... one time and then way off another time. How can you tell? The numbers are not to be trusted and usually thrown out. Often as random as drawing numbers for the lotto.

regards

·
Registered
7,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepmback /forum/post/14244159

I was aware that readings in that area are not to be trusted. I was just not sure how far off they should be.

Would these high readings be affecting my gamma, any reason why my gamma was following a gamma line of 1.9, instead of 2.2?

A lot of people commonly assume that commercial displays follow recommended standards. They don't. A 1.9 gamma is not at all unusual.

Also, the Ruby has several gamma presets each which offers a different gamma curve. Gamma 3 will give you a higher gamma.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts