AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This Silicon Optix scaler I have has gamma correction controls. Not adjustable, but four choices, Linear 1.0, gamma 1.5, gamma 2.2 and gamma 2.8 What do the numbers mean? 1.5, 2.2 and 2.8 look way to washed out. Linear looks pretty decent.

Chip

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Your PJ already has 2.5 bult into the tubes

Roland

·
Registered
6,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoBro
Your PJ already has 2.5 bult into the tubes

Roland
That might explain why I prefer the linear (1.0) to the rest. I can adjust 1.5 out so that it's usable but linear looks so much more natural.

Chip

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
That seems like a very silly thing to have in a processor with such hugely useless gamma curves? It would only be useful if you were feeding it a source that was encoded linearly or some other odd gamma encode. Stick with linear, which is confusing because it's not actually linear at all, the source is non-linear, it's just that the processor isn't doing anything with it because the re-linearization, so to speak, occurs at the display. CRTs do it naturally in most all cases (except where there may be electronic tweaks, aka TSE's card, but it's still inherent to the CRT basically), or a linear display (digital) has a LUT that does the degamma.

hope that helps!

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
You sure about that Chris? I think the vast majority of people up the gamma.

Gamma adjustments greatly improve the picture with my HTPC and G70. I ran 2.2 with my 9700 Pro video card and currently run 1.6 with my 6600GT. Like Eric said, 2.2 is supposedly the standard.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Phil:

yes people alter the gamma, but it seems that this device is doing a FULL change of the gamma curve, essentially fully implementing gamma. For instance, when you alter your gamma on your CRT, say to about 2.2, you're only making a change of maybe .2 or .3 from the native encode that is about 2.5.

This processor seems to be implementing a full change or 2.2 when you chose 2.2, based on what chip said about it being unusably washed out. That is, if you fed it a linear, non-gamma corrected source, and choses 2.2, the output would now have a gamma or 2.2. Leaving it in linear leaves the gamma curve intact. It doesn't seem like there is a small adjustment option to move the gamma curve a small amount as you suggest (and I do too!). So here when you choose say 2.2, it's implementing a 2.2 curve on top of whatever the source is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.