AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Qualia owners: what GAMMA setting do you use? I just read Greg Rogers' review in WSR, and he suggests GAMMA3 which is "appropriate for this projector."

Prior to my calibration (waiting for Josh & Co), I'm using the Cinema default setting for the Qualia, and making changes in the Lumagen as to black/white levels and color. I had left the gamma off, but must agree with Greg that GAMMA 3 provides a superior picture, with less black crush and more detail at lower IRE without effecting the snap that we love so much with the Qualia. PS - switching to Gamma 3 will require a re-calibration of B/W levels.

Also, since I have a Da-Mat gray screen, I leave my shutter control off. The low bulb setting provides all the lumens any one could ever want.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I load my own curve into Gamma 1 through ID2 software, so far it's worked very well for both white and grey screens.

Dan

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dan,

Can you provide a few bullet points on the steps you took to create your own GAMMA?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
According to the WSC, GAMMA 3 is 2.26 and consistant across the range.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Mike,

After measuring the gamma for the different inputs, it looked to me that the projector was looking a little "flat" from about 50 IRE up, and I was really looking to eek as much 3-dimensionality as I could frm the Qualia. It took quite a bit of fooling with the Image Director2 software (which I had become intimate with for the HS-51 review)- you know, the typical trial and error stuff. I finally came-up with one that I like very much.

The keys are these: 1. don't be afraid to fool around with the software and gamma, you can always reset to default (never change default values). 2. remember that you can manipulate the gamma in both the x and y axis semi-independently, so you can dial-in a more desireable curve. 3. although "perfect" gamma is 2.25 overall, it's not just the number that's important but rather the overall shape of the curve as well (and CRTs don't typically have 2.25, but rather closer to the 2.5-2.6 range).

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.