AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right now I'm using -2.Just wondering why I never hear anyone use this.Most calibrators use 0, and sometimes -1. The blue is always too high in the brightest areas on my tv which is one of the reasons I've had difficult time getting things right on this tv, and i also have the pinking white screen thing too.Does anyone use -2?

·
Registered
11,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345  /t/1522452/gamma-setting-samsung#post_24479999

Right now I'm using -2.Just wondering why I never hear anyone use this.Most calibrators use 0, and sometimes -1. The blue is always too high in the brightest areas on my tv which is one of the reasons I've had difficult time getting things right on this tv, and i also have the pinking white screen thing too.Does anyone use -2?

I had mine calibrated with a gamma at +1. It was the most accurate gamma OOTB. Almost perfect, and I had it calibrated set to that.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine at + 1 would look really washed out in high abl shows.Reduced from -1 to -2 after I made whbal more green.I think gamma and luminance is more stable however it's dimmer and pastel color like.Really have too know how the controls interact with each other on plasmas.End up crazy after fiddling with it.

·
Registered
11,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic12345  /t/1522452/gamma-setting-samsung#post_24480605

Mine at + 1 would look really washed out in high abl shows.Reduced from -1 to -2 after I made whbal more green.I think gamma and luminance is more stable however it's dimmer and pastel color like.Really have too know how the controls interact with each other on plasmas.End up crazy after fiddling with it.

The gamma settings seem to be a little different on each tv. When I lower to -1, the image is too dark. In essence you are raising gamma closer to 2.5 or higher. When raising the gamma adustment to +2, you wash out image as you lower gamma closer to 2.0. At +1, my gamma was close to 2.2.

·
Banned
16,232 Posts
My PN59D8000 I have at 0 but just changed to +1 for the heck of it,, although it might be a bit light.....and probably doesn't mean much as a brand alone, wouldn't be surprised to variance from model to model if not within a model range based on manufacturing point....on a given day of the week

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm back at -1......-2 would be good In a dark room but I have some lights on.and some shows are way too dim on-2... I haven't decided if the pastel soft color look is better or the high contrast pop.Right now Im leaning too the softer look,maybe because it's more stable gamma /luminance,and It does work better in a bright room for SOME stuff.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On photography site I read when using a brighter gamma(like2.0) than use a lower(more yellow/red)color temperature,and a darker gamma (2.4)use cooler temperature(more blue)....I'm finding when I reduce blue(making it more yellow) in order too get the white point more accurate I'm having too use a darker gamma......That's the opposite of what they said...Now I'm not sure what the point of the article was.I know it's the abl causing this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts