AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just starting to tweak my gamma settings and was wondering how many people take advantage of this great option with digital projectors.

Let me know if you do.

If you can tell me your projector model and feel like throwing in some settings and comments.... feel free.

I'm just beginning but I'll post my results when I feel like I've achieved some real improvement. (And maybe some screenshots as well!) :)

Thanks,

Kysersose

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
Gamma settings on my NEC HT1000 are the key to getting it to give a sense of greater contrast. You know it is working when you come home to find your wife watching a film on it instead of the CRT projector and says, "I love the contrast." I've put a lot more money, time and effort into the CRT and she likes the DLP.

In my mind, without the ability to tweak the contrast curve, a digital projector is crippled. Pity so many have fixed curves, cannot be adjusted, or have their adjustments only adjustable with special software. Granted the average user won't understand what they are doing, but in the hands of a calibrator they lend a flexibility we never had with CRT.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I use my HTPC's overlay controls to adjust the Gamma and though I haven't yet mastered the fine art of calibration, this let's me tweak the picture much, much more.

For example, on my LT240K the Gamma settings for "Movie" are a little too high, while on "Natural" (I think), they're slightly too low. So I set it on "Natural" on the PJ and I adjust ever so slightly higher with the HTPC, and shadow detail improves.

·
Registered
166 Posts
While the X1 has no gamma setting (why is it taking so long for someone to find the service code ?? loaded question) I use my DVD player to change the gamma settings. I find that for the X1 when I set the gamma to +2 it makes a huge difference. I found that Underworld looked a lot better with +2

·
Registered
718 Posts
I definitely find it useful for fine-tuning overly bright or dark movies. My HS20 allows 4 settings (without getting into service menu stuff) and my DVD player has even greater flexibility so I find it very useful overall.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guy, I would love it if you could give me your Gamma settings for the HT1000 and any possible advice for the LT240K settings. :)

Any advice coming from you would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
My 2HD has a Gamma setting in the Image Menu and I've been playing with it and so far with it on +3 the picture is awesome. No service tweaks yet.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TweaKing, have you tried sRGB and black detail? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I don't know how well this will translate to the LT240K, but here are my settings....

Viewing conditions:

Image 58 inches wide. Any larger and I get distracted by the DMD elements from my viewing distance of 134 inches. Screen Stewart StudioTek 130. S-video input and a Hoya Multicoat FLD in front of the machine. The iris is very slightly opened from max closed. These won't look right without duplicating the conditions (especially the Hoya FLD filter), but here they are for your experimentation.

Picture ---------------

Brightness -29

Contrast 33

Color 43

Hue 30

Sharpness 11

Setting -----------------

Reference Setting -Movie

Gamma Correction - Natural

Color Correction

Red -6, Green -11, Blue -2, Yellow 14, Magenta -13, cyan 0, color gain 0

White Balance

Brightness Red 2, Green 6, Blue -2

Contrast Red 166, Green 152, Blue 188

SweetVision - Medium

Deinterlace - On

Black Expansion 3

Contrast Enhancement -2

The combination of black expansion and contrast enhance makes the response curve somewhat sigmoidal. This emphasizes contrast in the midrange where most images reside. Makes the digital look like it has more contrast than it actually does.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kysersose
TweaKing, have you tried sRGB and black detail? Just curious.
Yes I've tried the above.

I find that sRGB is probably the best mode for DVD/HDTV sources.

However, Black Detail seems to increase the gamma a little too high. Shadow detail gets a little too "muddy". I prefer Natural (I think that's what its called, the one in the middle setting!), then up the gamma ever so slightly on my HTPC, so that shadow detail is emphasized.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Guy, do you use an AVIA pattern to help calibrate gamma? Any advice for those of us without expensive equipment who just want to try eyeballing it?

·
Registered
807 Posts
Guy: Little Off Topic. I have a LT150 and am planning to upgrade. I was thinking HT1000 or H56 but this new H30 is interesting me because it is so much cheaper. Any thoughts on what I would be giving up in PQ. I have a 92x52 hi power screen and sit back about 14' from the screen. Light control is good.

Thanks

Peter

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guy! Thanks a ton. This will give me some direction.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Just to clarify my original post: It was "Black Detail" that I thought was too high a gamma setting, not "Movie" (which isn't even a gamma setting). Hope this didn't confuse anyone (sorry Kysersose)...

·
Registered
476 Posts
Gamma makes a big difference for me. Allows alot more detail durring dark scenes.

smyth22 - Youll give up resolution and thats about it. The h30 brighter then the ht1000.. From the distance your sitting i would say definantly go with the h30, you wont notice the resolution lost. I built a 110 inch screen and sit 12 feet back with a slight defocus I dont notice screendoor nor loss in sharpness. at 14 foot you probably wont need defocus at all.

·
Registered
216 Posts
For those htpc users who _really_ like to tweak, zoomplayer/ffdshow accepts a Dscaler filter which allows a software 256 level user specified gamma table. This is very useful for those tweakers whose projectors or dvd players do not allow sufficient gamma adjustment.

Digital photgraphers familiar with the Curves tool in Photoshop or Elements can get an idea of the flexibility of this approach and test different curves using a screen grab. Of course with the proper light meter and test screens one could in principle produce a fully software calibrated gray scale for any projector. (Gray only; Dscaler doesn't do individual rgb channels.)

jtv

·
Registered
370 Posts
Thank you for the tip, I'll have a look

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.