AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I wish there was a way I could watch the UK version...seeing it edited/watered down will take away a lot of what makes the show so good...I know someone on here will say that the level of violence should not matter but in a show about gangsters, graphic violence is a major part of the story
There are UK/Sky versions out there. It is pretty violent and graphic. You may as well turn on closed captioning to follow. I watch a lot of British and International shows, but those cockney accents/mumbling are hard to keep up with. I don't have a frame of reference for what AMC allows or not. I think I watched one episode of The Walking Dead. Killing the undead might be okay. Even GoT was swords and sandals/fantasy world violence. Gangs of London is visceral violence on the streets of London today. Not sure what a cable network will think is acceptable.

It is ashamed it didn't find a premium streaming service home in the US. The first thing that shows on the opening credits of Episode 1 is 'SKY STUDIO PRESENTS - In Association with CINEMAX'. :mad: I'm sure that will be gone from the AMC version. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
anyone watch this when it aired in the UK?...since it was originally slated for premium cable (Cinemax) I'm wondering about the level of violence, nudity, language etc
Very disappointing to hear CineMax passed as you know the show will be edited big time to be shown on AMC. CineMax has dropped out of a lot of new series and I wonder if they will show season 2 of Warrior as I do remember seeing a trailer for all the upcoming shows and Warrior and Gangs of London were listed. So to hear this was passed on, I wonder what else is next as they also passed on season 2 of Jett.

Strike Back
Banshee
Hunted
Quarry
Warrior
Jett

Been some great series on there

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Very disappointing to hear CineMax passed as you know the show will be edited big time to be shown on AMC. CineMax has dropped out of a lot of new series and I wonder if they will show season 2 of Warrior as I do remember seeing a trailer for all the upcoming shows and Warrior and Gangs of London were listed. So to hear this was passed on, I wonder what else is next as they also passed on season 2 of Jett.

Strike Back
Banshee
Hunted
Quarry
Warrior
Jett

The Knick was also pretty good...I watched the first season of that horror show Outcast and it was decent as well

·
Registered
26,799 Posts

Strike Back
Banshee
Hunted
Quarry
Warrior
Jett

Cinemax Abandons Original Programming, Channel Will Not Be Part of HBO Max

Article said:
Cinemax will no longer produce original content, nor will its existing shows like “Jett” and “Warrior” be part of HBO Max when it launches, WarnerMedia executives said Wednesday.

“I think you can expect there will not be any more Cinemax originals being produced going forward,” HBO Max boss Kevin Reilly said during the Television Critics Association press tour. Michael Quigley, executive vice president of content acquisitions for the streaming service, said that Cinemax original content will not be the on service either, though the channel is not going away the same way Audience Network will.

“We’re not planning to bring the Cinemax content into the service overall,” he said. “I think it still serves an important value for its customers in terms of its movie offerings.”

That leaves the fate of shows like “Jett” and “Warrior” up in the air. “Strike Back” will debut its eighth and final season on Feb. 14.
Seems like the powers-at-be at AT&T have nothing but contempt for Cinemax.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Show is pretty violent (first EP is the most 'brutal'). FWIW, I saw it via the Sky release and just want to let yall know not to get your hopes up too much when you see the first EP. Show started of 10/10 IMO and then quickly went off the rails and it was a drag to finish after a certain point. The subreddit for the show seemed to love it (their favorite ep was my least favorite and the point where the show COMPLETELY lost me), so it might just be a me problem. Just trying to temper some expectations so yall might enjoy it a little more than I did!

I don't remember any nudity, just lots of violence and swearing.

On a different note I thought Warrior 2019 was awesome and cannot wait for season 2 and hope that it gets an actual ending or picked up by a different network.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Show is pretty violent (first EP is the most 'brutal')

I don't remember any nudity, just lots of violence and swearing.
which again gets me wondering how AMC will be able to show all this violence without a lot of editing...it seems graphic violence/language is a major part of the series so I'm not even sure how they can edit it out...did AMC even watch the series before agreeing to purchase the USA broadcast rights?...doesn't seems like it fits their network...Walking Dead is a more cartoonish type of violence

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
which again gets me wondering how AMC will be able to show all this violence without a lot of editing...it seems graphic violence is a major part of the series so I'm not even sure how they can edit it out
Again, though, AMC is the network of The Walking Dead. They don't seem to have a problem with violent content.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
On a different note I thought Warrior 2019 was awesome and cannot wait for season 2 and hope that it gets an actual ending or picked up by a different network.
With you there. Would like to hear that Netflix picked it up and gave it another couple of seasons and a nice 4K Dolby Vision shine.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Again, though, AMC is the network of The Walking Dead. They don't seem to have a problem with violent content.
I edited my last post before your reply but Walking Dead is a more cartoonish type of violence involving undead zombies...and I think they're only allowed 1 F word per season...sounds like Gangs of London has way more then that

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Seems like the powers-at-be at AT&T have nothing but contempt for Cinemax.
Where was that contempt for shows like Ballers and Avenue 5? Those get multiple seasons and placement on HBO. The whims of arrogant suits!!

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Where was that contempt for shows like Ballers and Avenue 5? Those get multiple seasons and placement on HBO. The whims of arrogant suits!!
comedies are cheaper to produce and usually get a more mainstream audience...but I get what you're saying...the best example of that is probably HBO's Entourage which had no business being on the air for 8 seasons

·
Registered
26,799 Posts
I edited my last post before your reply but Walking Dead is a more cartoonish type of violence involving undead zombies...
In a general sense, perhaps, but the show has also done some pretty horrific stuff to its human characters. Glenn's death was one of the most sickening and grotesque things to ever air on television, basic cable or not.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
It seems that this will premiere exclusively on AMC+. Great way to make sure no one sees it. So disappointing. I was looking forward to this one. It's unclear if this will air on the regular channel later. I've seen one article that says it will, and another that says it won't.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It seems that this will premiere exclusively on AMC+. Great way to make sure no one sees it. So disappointing. I was looking forward to this one. It's unclear if this will air on the regular channel later. I've seen one article that says it will, and another that says it won't.
AMC has gone full crazy again if they limit this to a premium streaming service...they might be taking a page from FX on Hulu...I just looked up AMC+ and it's apparently a Comcast exclusive...unless they mean AMC Premiere...either way it's a dumb move...are they reserving the AMC linear channel for non-stop Walking Dead prequels/sequels/spinoffs etc

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
AMC has gone full crazy again if they limit this to a premium streaming service...
Looks like they are 'full crazy'. At least for the rest of this year.

EXCERPT FROM PRESS RELEASE LINK
Gangs of London

Season 1
First three hours drop on AMC+ on Thursday, October 1 (episodes will then roll out weekly); debuts on AMC early next year.

Looks like we all would have to wait until 2021 unless you are a Comcast customer and want to sign up for another streaming service.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Looks like they are 'full crazy'. At least for the rest of this year
I still don't understand what the difference is between AMC+ and AMC Premiere...is AMC+ available to anyone outside of Comcast subscribers?...why would they limit it to a specific cable provider?

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I still don't understand what the difference is between AMC+ and AMC Premiere...is AMC+ available to anyone outside of Comcast subscribers?...why would they limit it to a specific cable provider?
I think the eventual goal is for AMC+ to replace the original AMC Premiere. AMC Premiere was an upgrade for all cable tv subscribers. AMC Premiere gave you ad-free access to all current AMC shows and some early content and full season AMC content. Upgrade price is/was $4.99

AMC+ is intended to replace AMC Premiere and will be $4.99 a month. It will only be available to Comcast Xfinity TV and Xfinity Flex subscribers. It will include content from AMC shows and sister networks like Sundance TV, IFC along with streaming services Shudder, Sundance NOW and IFC Films Unlimited. That is not a bad deal, but if it is only available as part of a cable subscription they will not get me. The goal is to eventually roll it out to other cable, tv and satellite providers. No mention of a standalone offering outside of a cable subscription.

I don't get it. Keeping this stuff tied to a cable bundle and not offering the same or some similar pricing outside of a cable subscription will NEVER get me to subscribe to a cable provider again. It only denies them access to my monthly subscription budget if they would only allow it.

·
Registered
13,678 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I think the eventual goal is for AMC+ to replace the original AMC Premiere. AMC Premiere was an upgrade for all cable tv subscribers. AMC Premiere gave you ad-free access to all current AMC shows and some early content and full season AMC content. Upgrade price is/was $4.99

AMC+ is intended to replace AMC Premiere and will be $4.99 a month. It will only be available to Comcast Xfinity TV and Xfinity Flex subscribers. It will include content from AMC shows and sister networks like Sundance TV, IFC along with streaming services Shudder, Sundance NOW and IFC Films Unlimited. That is not a bad deal, but if it is only available as part of a cable subscription they will not get me. The goal is to eventually roll it out to other cable, tv and satellite providers. No mention of a standalone offering outside of a cable subscription.
AMC Premiere never made sense as you needed a cable subscription to access it...this new AMC+ sounds like a true universal app but it doesn't make sense that they would again limit it to a specific cable provider...they need to make it available via Apple TV, Roku etc

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
AMC Premiere never made sense as you needed a cable subscription to access it...this new AMC+ sounds like a true universal app but it doesn't make sense that they would again limit it to a specific cable provider...they need to make it available via Apple TV, Roku etc
AMC Premiere just felt like a weird one-off test. Ad-free AMC shows and a few early episodes for an additional $4.99 a month. Okay. Since AMC+ is destined to replace it, I guess we know how that 'test' went.

AMC seems committed to clinging to the cable subscription bundle until it is down to a subscriber count of one (1).

AMC+ is closer to universal but they are still excluding services from the bundle (i.e. Acorn TV) that are doing well on their own. Just another weird money grab in the short term. If they bundled all of their streaming services into one reasonably priced offering they would get more from me than having them all as standalone offerings. Right now I have Acorn TV and Sundance NOW via Prime Channels. But, if they put out an offering that bundled AMC, Shudder, Sundance NOW, Acorn TV, IFC and BBC America via Prime Channel, no cable subscription, they would get more per month from me than they do now. They will never get it from me if I have to go back to a cable subscription. But, maybe I am the anomaly???

21 - 40 of 53 Posts