AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think it stands to reason that when masking it is ideal to have the masking material situated right on the screen, but in the setup I am looking to build, that will be impossible (electric screen with DIY masking). With that in mind, are there any real drawbacks to having the masking hang 4" to 5" in front of the screen? I know that this will slightly decrease the image size in order to have the image project through the mask, but it is a miniscule amount.

Thanks

·
Registered
625 Posts
Yeah, Jim is right, the only problem I see are shawdows from those light sources.

I'm not sure why you would say that the image size will decrease with the masking hanging in front. Image size is dependant on how far the screen is from the lens and what the zoom is. The masking wont change the image size...unless of course you move the masking over a part of the image.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, in most cases the lights will be off when watching the screen or will be dimmed very low. As for the mask blocking the image, it is a possibility depending on the angle of the projector and the projector's offset requirements.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Remember the side masks of most movie theaters (usually black curtains) has some gap behind, and nobody complains...?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.