Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Mywife and I are both somewhat tired of my theater being in our extra bedroom. My reasons are different than her reasons, but they both involve sound levels:D

We have thought about converting half of our garage into a dedicated theater. I live in N. California and know that building codes vary from city to city, but generally is it legal to construct, with permits of course, a non load bearing, free standing structure in your garage? I would construct it in such a fashion that the garage door would still be capable of opening and a car would be able to park inside.

This is a totally newbie question as well, but where would I go to find out the legalities in my town?

thanks for any advice you can give.

Don

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
I can't see why not. Just make sure your water heater or furnas is not in that garage. They need air for combustion, block that and they will suck it from the house which can be a health hazard. Modern garages are already under higher code standards because of car fire risks. The walls have a higher fire rating than the rest of the house.

If you go the permit route, go down to your city hall or where ever the building and safety department is and ask over the counter. Bring some rough sketches and pictures too. The counter inspectors always give advice and will point you in the right direction. If your plans are detailed enough, they may even give (sell) you a permit at that time.

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
One potential gotcha I just thought of.

In my neighborhood, the CC&R's which the local code office will enforce since the HOA is properly incorporated with the city.

They require 20 feet from the property line for HABITED structures. Now most garages in this neighborhood or closer to ten feet from the property line. But a garage is not considered a habited space. Making it into a media room is so in my neighborhood, technically this CC&R caluse could block doing it. In reality however I don't think anyone would enforce this clause.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I plan on going to city hall next week sometime. Hopefully this will be allowed.

Fortunately, my development does not have a homeowner's association. Our garage is 20 ft. away from the property line except for one side, but that side of the house has two bedrooms on it so that shouldn't change for the garage.

I would like to build this without having to go the permit route, but want to make everything legal as I don't want my insurance company not paying up if anything happened to my house. I guess I'm just paranoid, but I'm just a teacher who lives in CA and this house cost me quite a bit.

thanks,

Don

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just an update to my garage plans.

I went to the planning commission and it seems as if my garage is the minimum allowed size for a garage. Which means that I am unable to legally build something inside of it.

I then asked about maybe putting in an addition and it seems since I live on the corner, my house completely fills out my buildable area. This house was only meant to last us for 5-10 years, so doing a permanent addition was not a serious consideration for us.

Now I am faced with trying to sound proof my existing room which is going to be tough as I don't want to do anything to invasive. I'm going to have to really research my options. I already know that totally sound proofing is not going to happen without building a room within a room.

A big thanks in advance for the help I'm going to need with my soundproofing endeavour.

later,

Don

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I am sure this is not practical - if your "room" was on a wheeled frame, well then it would just be a "trailer" parked in your garage. I realize that after all the AC, soundprofing, etc that it would be small inside - but still a trailer !

·
Registered
483 Posts
what about if you just built a pseudo theater and erected a kind of screen/shade that separated the theater from the rest of the garage? Any wiring could be hidden under rugs, conduit or even convoluted tubing------give it that industrial kind of look. You could put some linacoustic on the wall of the garage closest to the house to help diffuse sound transmission. And for a floor covering, get some nice scrap carpet or use throw rugs.

It actually could turn out kind of ok!!!

HTH.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sime,

I had thought about just putting the theater in the garage as it is now,but the sound transmission to the neighbors would be just unacceptable. I like to consider myself pretty respectful of our neighbors so that plan went out.

Jamin,

I like the idea of the trailer theater! maybe I can just a buy a 30 ft. travel trailer and park it in my RV space! I can sound proof it as well. The only downfall I can think of is that I have to many relatives, who may get upset at my use of this thing for anything other than living! No offense to anyone here who may live in a trailer and has a killer theater!

This totally reminds of a funny thing I heard at Wal-mart a while back. (I do stay close to my roots!) There were some people in line buying a DVD player and the lady said, "It's funny to me that we live in a trailer, but have 3 DVD players!" I'm not making that up I swear.

later,

Don

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the link to the shed!

My city does have an exemtion policy that allows people to get permits for things they can prove deserve to be exempted. It doesn't hurt to try. My argument is that the room in the garage will not be physically connected to anything structural so if/when I move it will be easily removed. It probably won't fly, but you never know!

Later,

Don

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.