AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a device that lets you know the status of your garage doors (either up or down)?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I know Sears sells this product. I saw it last week. I'll be shopping for 2 new openers next month when we move in the new house.

What I'd really like to see is an "alarm" that works with the little eyes in the garage door opener - the ones that send the door back upif you break their line of sight. I'd like to be able to leave my garage door open, and have those little eyes/sensors be an alarm, sounding some chime or something on the main alarm whenever anyone walks across them into the garage.

Aaron

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by amheck
IWhat I'd really like to see is an "alarm" that works with the little eyes in the garage door opener - the ones that send the door back upif you break their line of sight. I'd like to be able to leave my garage door open, and have those little eyes/sensors be an alarm, sounding some chime or something on the main alarm whenever anyone walks across them into the garage.

Aaron
A motion sensor would have the same affect causing a contact closure.

Dave

·
Registered
147 Posts
I just got the 1/2HP top of the line Sears opener, it was $179 on sale which really cheap if you add up all the things included, outside keypad, remotes, etc. In addition to the opener itself, it has an IR safety sensor which stops the door from closing if there is an obstruction. But I noticed that if the door is open and you trip it, it automatically turns on the incandescant light---which could be wired via a relay to also set off an alarm at another location if you wanted.

It also had a wireless monitor which tells if the door is open or closed. I used to have the hardwired one and it worked great. But I couldn't find the wired ones anywhere (or anything else). Sears sells the monitor separately for about $39 if I remember correctly. At SmartHome, they have a monitor that looks just like the Sears for about $59.

The wireless one works ok, but it is very subtle compared to the wired one (the size of the red light is a lot smaller)

·
Registered
84 Posts
For a wired solution, a magnet on the door that lines up with a reed switch on the door frame would give you a pretty good indication, the challenge being what hardware to use to turn this closed or opened switch into data that will mean something to your system.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
I wanted this solved, too. There is a simple way.

If you have an alarm system in your house you can set up each door on a seperate zone with any alarm contact (similar to one used on windows or doors). They can be hardwired (receommended) or RF contacts.

I have a bad habit of leaving my garage doors open at night and had the alarm guy wire each garage door.

I can't close them from the panel but I'll know if they are open.

Hope this helps.

Jeff

·
Registered
212 Posts
ATC1, If you like Jeff's idea they make a switch for garage doors. The switch mounts to the floor the magnet mounts to the door. Comes with metal cable about 18" long.

Mike

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks gentlemen for all of your replies. This home is still under construction, however the drywall will be installed next week. They did wire for a security system, however there are no wires leading to the garage doors.

1. Verify that all I need to do is run 2-conductor wire from the base of the garage doors to the home run area?

2. Where can I buy this wire?

3. Can someone recommend a site where I can purchase the security system contact switches for the garage doors?

Thanks,

ATC1

·
Registered
866 Posts
Being that I'm a custom installer I buy my contacts at ADI, a national security and networking supply house (they do a little bit of A/V stuff too.) They are in every major US city and their website is here . They may or may not be willing to sell to you direct, offer to pay cash/check or credit and they might do one or the other.

If they won't sell to you they will likely be willing to tell you where you can pick it up locally from one of their customers. The wire you're looking for is cheap 2 conductor wire (less than $20 for 1000'.)

Ademco makes some really good garage contacts with armored leads and heavy duty contacts that you can actually drive over. They can be found here: Scroll down to the commercial contacts section at the bottom. Most of those contact for overhead doors cost about $8-10 at ADI.

I hope all of this helps.

b

·
Registered
677 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
For a wired solution, all you need is a "normally open" regular burglar alarm magnetic reed switch (radio shack, etc.). Place the magnet on the door at the edge. Then using wood shims or washers, position the switch as close to the magnet as you can get it while still clearing the door as it moves up and down. I positioned mine just below the rounded rail where it began to go straight down so the magnet wouldn't be hit by the brackets.

If you connect it to an alarm zone that triggers the alarm, you won't be able to open the door with the remote without triggering the alarm unless you put a long delay on that zone. Also, garage doors tend to shift around and you may get false alarms from time to time.

Why don't you just tell the alarm people to wire the door?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks again for all of the feedback. I think I will wire the garage doors up to the security system. One last question...

There already is 2 conductor wire at the garage door bottoms for the safety sensor, can I replace this wire with lets say CAT3 24 gauge 4 pair and use this cable for both the safety sensor and the contact switch for the security system?

·
Registered
147 Posts
You could but why bother except to have a cleaner look. The sensor wires go the the garage unit and it won't work without it. And the door open sensor wires will go somewhere else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.