AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is probably an easy solution but I have spent hours and cant get my setup right. Would greatly appreciate any advice. Here is my dilemma along with a diagram.

• My setup is for a golf sim in my garage. I have several displays including 3 Tvs, PC Monitor and Projector screen
  • My goal is to have the option of running DirectTv to all displays, duplicate PC golf software to displays from PC or a mix of both
  • A local AV guy set this up for me and it has worked. He installed a HDMI switch. Unfortunately, I was trying to fix a sound issue and can't get it back to the way it was
  • How do I connect back to Switch, Splitter, PC, and Receiver?
I think that I need to have the Projector to the HDMI OUT on the switch. The HDMI on PC to the HDMI 5 on AVR. Direct TV into the splitter and the TVS connected to the splitter and out to Cable/SAT on receiver. What am I missing? So frustrated! Thank you in advance!

Garage set up | Lucidchart

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Listing the exact brands/models of the equipment may help get answers.
How did you switch between modes before? Did you have a programmed remote, or a specific procedure?

Is the local AV guy unable/unwilling to tell you the configuration?

There is probably an easy solution but I have spent hours and cant get my setup right. Would greatly appreciate any advice. Here is my dilemma along with a diagram.

• My setup is for a golf sim in my garage. I have several displays including 3 Tvs, PC Monitor and Projector screen
  • My goal is to have the option of running DirectTv to all displays, duplicate PC golf software to displays from PC or a mix of both
  • A local AV guy set this up for me and it has worked. He installed a HDMI switch. Unfortunately, I was trying to fix a sound issue and can't get it back to the way it was
  • How do I connect back to Switch, Splitter, PC, and Receiver?
I think that I need to have the Projector to the HDMI OUT on the switch. The HDMI on PC to the HDMI 5 on AVR. Direct TV into the splitter and the TVS connected to the splitter and out to Cable/SAT on receiver. What am I missing? So frustrated! Thank you in advance!

Garage set up | Lucidchart

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VX 934 pioneer receiver, Powerspec PC with 2 Hdmi and 2 DP, Gysnc dell Monitor, Epson cinema 2100, 2 Samsung Tv, one with ARC and the 3rd TV is LG with ARC. Previously, I would change the AVR to HDMI 5 and use the swittch remote to change inputs.

The local guy will not work with me unless I schedule a service call.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I forgot to mention that the diagram doesn't seem to be accessible. It's asking for login information to access it. Is it possible to make a JPG or PNG and attach it?
It may answer some of the questions I'm asking.

Do you have the make/model of the HDMI switch? The way it takes inputs and/or matrixes the outputs may be important.

The Pioneer AVR looks like it has HDMI Zone 2 capability. Did you ever have to power-on or change the input for Zone 2?

What was the input to the Pioneers HDMI 5? One of the PC's DP outputs or DirectTV? Were any of the other Pioneer's HDMI inputs used?

If the PC has 2 DP outputs, do they mirror the screen or extend the desktop? Do you remember what both were connected to?

Did any of the displays connect to the HDMI outputs of the AVR, or only to the HDMI switch?

When you changed the inputs on the HDMI switch, what displays are affected?

VX 934 pioneer receiver, Powerspec PC with 2 Hdmi and 2 DP, Gysnc dell Monitor, Epson cinema 2100, 2 Samsung Tv, one with ARC and the 3rd TV is LG with ARC. Previously, I would change the AVR to HDMI 5 and use the swittch remote to change inputs.

The local guy will not work with me unless I schedule a service call.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I forgot to mention that the diagram doesn't seem to be accessible. It's asking for login information to access it. Is it possible to make a JPG or PNG and attach it?
It may answer some of the questions I'm asking.

Do you have the make/model of the HDMI switch? The way it takes inputs and/or matrixes the outputs may be important.

The Pioneer AVR looks like it has HDMI Zone 2 capability. Did you ever have to power-on or change the input for Zone 2?

What was the input to the Pioneers HDMI 5? One of the PC's DP outputs or DirectTV? Were any of the other Pioneer's HDMI inputs used?

If the PC has 2 DP outputs, do they mirror the screen or extend the desktop? Do you remember what both were connected to?

Did any of the displays connect to the HDMI outputs of the AVR, or only to the HDMI switch?

When you changed the inputs on the HDMI switch, what displays are affected?

Vanco HDMI3x1 42k switch. 1 outout, 3 input
Inout to HDMI 5 was the PC?
Only usiing one DP to monitor
Had the Direct tv to splitter into the CBL on AVR
not sure about display with switch
so confused..

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
*** updated - I think I have the potential connections wrong
Thanks for the image. Do either of these look like the Vanco switch?

If set up the way you describe, you'd also need to attach the Pioneer's main HDMI output to the Vanco switch, then:

Splitter Input = DirectTV
Splitter Output 1-3 = TVs
Splitter Output 4 = Pioneer CBL/SAT input

Pioneer CBL/SAT in = Splitter Out 4
Pioneer HDMI 5 in = PC <--- *** Whoops - Used this 2x. Bad diagram
Pioneer HDMI 1 out = Vanco Input 1

Vanco Input 1 = Pioneer HDMI 1 out
Vanco Input 2 = PC <--- *** Whoops - Used this 2x. Bad diagram
Vanco Output = Projector

When the Pioneer's set to HDMI 5, the Vanco switch would send either the PC or DirectTV to the projector. The TVs would always display DirectTV.
When the Pioneer's set to CBL/SAT, the projector and all TVs should display DirectTV, and toggling the Vanco switch wouldn't have a visible effect.
Practically, you would always leave the Pioneer on Input 5. Was that the case?

Was this the functionality that you had before?

It may not matter, but you probably could have set it up without the Vanco switch by using the Pioneer's Zone 2 capabilities, but the setup described above left on input 5 may present a less complicated remote usage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really appreciate your help! I am trying to be able to have the option of Direct on TVs/monitor or PC on all displays or mix of both. The 3x1 4K2K is the vanco one I have. In regards to pioneer OUT, I have 1 that is ARC and the other is zone 2 sub OUT. Guessing output ARC is the right one?

I think the installer installed the switch to give me options.

For example, in reference to the above diagram, I was able to run my golf simulator software on PC and it would show on TV1, Projector screen, and TV2. I could also open up another software program and it would show on TV3 ( diagram says TV2 for both).

Does this make sense? It was working until I messed it up.

One additional question, how do I bring DELL Gsynch monitor into the mix? Its connected to PC through DP. Do I just run am HDMI into an additional splitter? I really dont need TV3 to show Directv, only PC software. Maybe just connect HDMI to current splitter??

Thank you so much!!!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
It appears that there's something I'm not understanding about the description of the connections.
The diagram does not definitively say what the HDMI cables of the TVs and projector are attached to.

In order for TV3 to display an additional program from the PC while attached to the splitter, I would have thought it needed a separate connection path to the PC, and some user interaction to switch.
When bringing up a 2nd PC app, does the TV change automatically, or do you have to change any settings?

Please help me understand what the previous functionality was, in detail, and what you had to do via remotes to get it to work that way.
Please confirm that the PC is a desktop or tower, and not a laptop with its own internal display.
Please confirm that the PC has 2 Display Port and 2 HMDI outputs, but currently only has 1 DP cable to the monitor, and 1 HDMI cable to the Vanco.
If there's more cabling from the PC to other devices, please confirm and describe.

So far I haven't read that DirectTV ever played to the Dell monitor, and it always acts as the main PC monitor. Please confirm that's how you expect it to act.
I now understand that you want TV3 to act as an additional monitor for the PC. Is that what it did before, or how you want it to act now? Do you want it to mirror or extend the desktop?

The "modes" I understand at the moment are (please correct me if I'm wrong):
Pioneer set to Input 5, Vanco set to Input "A", DirectTV playing to the projector. Please confirm what TVs also played DirectTV when in this mode.
Pioneer set to Input 5, Vanco set to Input "B", Golf Simulator playing to the projector, TV1 and TV2, but TV3 could show the golf simulator or another PC app.

Please describe any other "modes" you previously had.

So far I haven't read that you have a need to set the Pioneer to the CBL/SAT input. Please confirm that you don't expect to do that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The TV doesn't change auto. I thought previously I would toggle the switch remote and change to HDMI5. Would TV mode on the Pioneer be the same as the ARC output? Perhaps I'm missing something with this connection.

Functionality- 3 TVs, 1 Display, 1 Proj screen- I would toggle switch and change to HDMI5. I don't need DTV to play on monitor. I think it did but we can axe that. Previously all displays acted as additional PC monitors which is what i need at times. Not sure about mirror vs extend bc I would like to have separate software on PC monitor and TV2. when projecting PC. I would always like to have proj screen and DELL monitor mirror. I'm thinking a big mix-up is the Cbl/SAT- I believe it was originally set to TV?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The "modes" I understand at the moment are (please correct me if I'm wrong):
Pioneer set to Input 5, Vanco set to Input "A", DirectTV playing to the projector. Please confirm what TVs also played DirectTV when in this mode.
Pioneer set to Input 5, Vanco set to Input "B", Golf Simulator playing to the projector, TV1 and TV2, but TV3 could show the golf simulator or another PC app.

This is the ideal scenario. Right now I have it setup as you recommended and all the TVS are showing direct TV but the Pioneer is on CB/SAT. I think this is part of the issue. When I toggle the switch and change the input to HDMI5, TV2 ( LG 55 wont show PC). Perhaps there are settings that need to be changed on the TV, AVR, and/or PC?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
From what I understand from your descriptions, in order to use a 2nd app on TV3, it would have to have been connected directly to the PC. If that's the case, it couldn't display DirectTV.
If TV1/TV2 displayed DirectTV, they're not connected to the PC, but could mirror what was being output from it, presumably the Golf simulator or windows desktop.

When you say that you toggle the switch remote, please confirm that you're talking about the Vanco switch and remote. If that's the case, I'm presuming that the Pioneer should always set to HDMI 5.
I'll also presume for the moment that the only HDMI output used from the Pioneer is the main one, which has ARC (but you don't use it), and that the

It seems like TV1 and TV2 are always displaying the same content. Can you confirm this?
If so, they're attached to the outputs of the 1x4 splitter. However, we're now not sure about the other connections on the splitter.
Did the Projector and TV1+TV2 always display the same content, or was it the case that the projector could show something different than TV1 + TV2?

The TV doesn't change auto. I thought previously I would toggle the switch remote and change to HDMI5. Would TV mode on the Pioneer be the same as the ARC output? Perhaps I'm missing something with this connection.

Functionality- 3 TVs, 1 Display, 1 Proj screen- I would toggle switch and change to HDMI5. I don't need DTV to play on monitor. I think it did but we can axe that. Previously all displays acted as additional PC monitors which is what i need at times. Not sure about mirror vs extend bc I would like to have separate software on PC monitor and TV2. when projecting PC. I would always like to have proj screen and DELL monitor mirror. I'm thinking a big mix-up is the Cbl/SAT- I believe it was originally set to TV?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
all of the above is correct except projector could show something different. How can I get TV2 (LG) to show PC image? I dontt see an option to mirror. Also, why do I have to select CBL/SAT on remote to show Direct Tv? I thought that the switch would control that. I am using only the ARC out on pioneer

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Also if I have TV3 going to one HDMI on PC Tower and the other HDMI on PC Tower going to Pioneer HDMI5, what should be goimg into HDMI 2 in switch?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
The extend vs mirror is a windows thing. Whatever's at the other end of the cable looks like a monitor to the PC, so you have to configure them in the display settings. An option there would be to mirror whatever's on Display 1, or extend a virtual desktop so as the mouse or apps go off the edge, they show up on the next monitor.
From your setup, it doesn't seem like you'd ever need to use the CBL/SAT input on the Pioneer, and as you describe, you'd use the Vanco switch. And also as you describe, it seems that you'd only need to use the ARC output of the Pioneer.

all of the above is correct except projector could show something different. How can I get TV2 (LG) to show PC image? I dontt see an option to mirror. Also, why do I have to select CBL/SAT on remote to show Direct Tv? I thought that the switch would control that. I am using only the ARC out on pioneer

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I'm now not sure that the other HDMI from the PC goes directly to the Pioneer. Trying to map it out

Also if I have TV3 going to one HDMI on PC Tower and the other HDMI on PC Tower going to Pioneer HDMI5, what should be goimg into HDMI 2 in switch?

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I have a setup that should work:
Working backwards from the projector, you want it to switch between DirectTV and the Simulator as you toggle the Vanco's inputs.

If the projector is fed from the Pioneer's main (ARC) output, the switching has to be done at the Vanco and fed to the Pioneers HDMI 5.
Nothing would be attached to the CBL/SAT input of the Pioneer.
The inputs of the Vanco switch would be one of the outputs of the 1x4 splitter, and HDMI from the PC

The splitter would be fed by DirectTV and the outputs would be TV1, TV2, and the Vanco switch. TV1 and TV2 would not be able to display PC content.

The PC would have DP to the Dell monitor, HDMI to the Vanco switch, and HDMI to TV3. TV3 would not be able to display DirectTV.
The Projector (passed through the Pioneer and Vanco switch) would act as a monitor to the PC.
TV3 would act as an additional monitor to the PC.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
What is the LG/TV2 connected to at the moment?
I understood from post #3 that the Samsung TVs were TV1 and TV2, and the LG was TV3. Is that not the case? (it probably doesn't matter as long as the numbers stay consistent).

The LG TV2 is showing inactive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I need TV2 to display PC though. It did previously. LG is currently connected to splitter

1 - 20 of 41 Posts