AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 27 inch CRT television, the Sharp 27F-S40. It is about 15 years old. It has RCA input jacks on the rear (video, stereo audio), but whenever I try to connect a DVD player to those jacks, the picture is garbled. I sort of see it, but it has no vertical hold and the colors are messed up. I have tried two different DVD players.

Is this expected for an older TV when connected to a DVD player? I'm thinking my only option will be to purchase an RF modulator and go in through the coax connector, instead. It is a shame that the RCA jacks don't work though.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stress /forum/post/18157902

Hi, I have a 27 inch CRT television, the Sharp 27F-S40. It is about 15 years old. It has RCA input jacks on the rear (video, stereo audio), but whenever I try to connect a DVD player to those jacks, the picture is garbled. I sort of see it, but it has no vertical hold and the colors are messed up. I have tried two different DVD players.

Is this expected for an older TV when connected to a DVD player? I'm thinking my only option will be to purchase an RF modulator and go in through the coax connector, instead. It is a shame that the RCA jacks don't work though.

No, that's not normal. Barring a simple hookup error (yellow video jack to yellow video jack), which seems unlikely since you've tried 2 DVD players, it sounds like something is defective. Did you try another cable?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Make sure the DVD player is setup to output 480i not p.

·
Registered
23,238 Posts
Good suggestion, but composite video (yellow) can only output/support 480i. Strange things can happen with certain DVD players, but I'd be fairly certain that no matter the setting in the DVD player(s) (hard or soft), that when using composite (or S-Video) it should always output at 480i.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for everyone's input. I also tried two different cables and a VCR with the RCA input jacks. All produced a greenish-red, scrambled picture. I gave up and purchased an RF modulator to send the picture through the coax connector. Works, but doesn't look that great. Time for a new TV soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.