Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 www.theperfectvision.com

Gary Merson reviews the Panasonic, Sony, Toshiba, and Mitsubishi DTV/HDTV Receivers, and his reviews mention usability of signal strength meters, fan noise, hook up problems w/multiple sources, and other items discussed in this forum and ignored by SGHT.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The article gives a VERY useful tip on the Sony HD100:

If you have locals OTA and from DTV (for example in St. Louis, KTVI channel 2), and press "2" on the remote, the HD100 will default to channel 2 from DTV, labeled "ST2." If you'd rather turn to analog channel 2 OTA, press 2, then the decimal button, then ENTER.

A cool feature NOT documented in the HD100 manual.

------------------

Robert Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis

[email protected]

·
Registered
228 Posts
Robert:

I was unable to locate the article with the provided link. What is the name of the article ? how to find it ? Thank you

·
Registered
572 Posts
After reading this article along with the many other problems posted about the latest STB's, the DTC100 still looks like the best performance regardless of price. YMMV.

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Curtis,

I would disagree since I've got both the RCA and the Sony. The newer boxes (even with their bugs, which are being ironed out as we speak....Panny just sent out an upgrade as did Sony) have better picture quality and enhanced features that make them an overall better buy (IMHO).

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Curtis:
After reading this article along with the many other problems posted about the latest STB's, the DTC100 still looks like the best performance regardless of price. YMMV.
Interestingly enough, the article does NOT compare the DTC-100 nor is the conclusion above consistent with the article. Just one more case of revisionist history by someone who didn't livee through or forgot the "brerak-in" period of the DTC-100.

Tim

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
For the record, I bought the DTC-100 in December. My local retailer offered me the upgrade to the Sony SAT-HD100 by just paying the difference. I bought it and brought it home. I didn't like the menus in the sony(I was surprised because I've always preferred sony's menus), Didn't like the loud fan, Didn't like the fact that it didn't have a gray side bar option for viewing 4:3 material. The picture was the same as my DTC-100. And the clincher,... I couldn't pick up KMGH ABC for NYPD Blue. Same Antennae, same wiring. It just wouldn't lock. So,.. I returned the HD100 and kept my DTC-100. The only advantage I saw to the Sony was integrated channels. Also my Mitsubishi TV remote operates my DTC-100 perfectly.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Gary Merson,

Thanks for the great shootout.After 2 years of reading lots of opinions that were just plain wrong we now get a lot of facts.

I guess I will put a lot more weight on informed reviewer opinions like Gary than on the blind leading the blind.Sorry

but thanks to the people who reported favourably about the Panny.Only a newer version can knock it off.
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Ron

"Your priorities will be different-its the weighting that counts!"

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Ken Ross said:

"The newer boxes...have better picture quality and enhanced features that make them an overall better buy (IMHO)."

Better picture quality? On upconverted SD or on HD, too?

------------------

HiDefDave

STOP HDCP!

[This message has been edited by Dave McRoy (edited 06-22-2001).]

·
Registered
33,592 Posts
Dave,

I was referring to HD picture quality. I think (after having tried all the STBs) that Gary is absolutely right. The Panny had the best upconverted picture quality and it's HD picture quality was in the same league with the Sony. I was turned off to the slow menu the Panny had (but ofcourse my Sony had its own bugs). However, it seems we're finally getting some of the fixes for both boxes.

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
I ran three STB's(DTC, SONY and DST3000) side by side thru a Denon 5800 and the I say the HD pciture was best on the DST3000 follow by DTC and then SONY. On upconverts I thought the same. The about a month later I decided to try out the Panny side by side with the Sony, DST3000, and Panny(I no longer had the DTC) I'd say that Gary is dead on the Panny box was the best of the bunch. The Hughes boxes is a very close second and the Sony is last. For same reason Gary said, I also thought the Sony was softening up the picture on HD material.

The Panny box is definettly the best of the bunch picture wise, I was going to keep it but the slow menus where terrible so I went with DST3000 which is very close but at the time had much faster menus. I don't know how much quicker the menus are now after the upgrade. Anybody have a Hughes box and Panny box to compare?

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Carbo,

I'm talking about the 1080i output of the 480i input signal. As far as I know the Denon 5800 does not process HD. Did I misread your post?

Jack

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JackB:
As far as I know the Denon 5800 does not process HD.
Jack,

He's talking about using the 5800 as a switcher to compare units (I use it for DST3000 & Dish6000 switching). It does switch well.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,085 Posts
Diddo,

What rudolpht said. i just used it as switcher. It does a nice job. I don't usually use it for the HD tuners. But with the tv I have TW65X81 it is impossible to do comparable switching because it takes so long to go thru inputs.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
Has anyone reading this thread compared the Panasonic 480i upconvert of 4:3 DSS NTSC programs to 1080i to the DTC-100 upconvert to 540P. If the difference is substantial then I am going to try one. I've been waiting two years for this capability and nothing I have tried yet, Quadscan or dScaler, can do the job satisfactorily. I'm hoping the improvement, if it's there, will be because the upconversion is done in digital with no analog processing in between.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Why no mention of any of the real problems so well documented by so many of us with these machines? Merson did not even allude to lip-sync problems, or more significantly, the oft reported (and my problem) incompatability of the sony with many OTA broadcasts. No mention of the slowness of the Pani.

Looks like another puff job to me.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Distorted:
Why no mention of any of the real problems so well documented by so many of us with these machines? Merson did not even allude to lip-sync problems, or more significantly, the oft reported (and my problem) incompatability of the sony with many OTA broadcasts. No mention of the slowness of the Pani.

Looks like another puff job to me.
My Sony has no problems at all with any St. Louis area OTA broadcasts.

------------------

Robert Simandl ... somewhere near St. Louis

[email protected]

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.