AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Build a custom that has an exerior fire pit and an interior fireplace both gas. Looking for a product that can operate both via one remote or can I use contact closures with decora style light switch. Customer ideally wants light switch control but it would be good if they could control flame intensenity and ignition from switch. Any opions or products to suggest. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
You are talking controlling it ONLY from where they can see the fireplace, correct? Because I have had people request being able to turn on the fireplace from rooms other than where the fireplace is which is VERY dangerous and should never be done.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
I know such controls exist from a number of fireplace companies, and I have automated them via contact closure, I'd imagine you can buy them separately. I'd do some Googling. Here is an example .

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
hahaha, that was a funny "example". btw, they definitely exist although i can't remember which brands are available. any fireplace or heating contractor/company will have them, possibly the brand napolean makes them or even lutron. btw q, when you say its dangerous to control the fireplace from another room, what about if one is using a lutron homeworks system throughout and has the fireplace hooked up to the panel. would you say this is not adviseable?

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Basically my rule is that you never ever want to automate something that poses a safety issue anywhere but from the location where the device being automated is. Beyond that, it's a judgment call, in the sense that even if it is wired to the main panel it should be safe, as long as the main panel never sends out errant commands or someone doesn't accidentally make a mistake in programming code so that the button in the mater bath that is supposed to turn on the sconce is actually turning on the fireplace your wife is in the process of cleaning

People ask for all sorts of nutty stuff, another one is to automate the pool cover so they can control it from inside the home. No way in hell I will do that.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by QQQ /forum/post/15472376

Basically my rule is that you never ever want to automate something that poses a safety issue anywhere but from the location where the device being automated is. Beyond that, it's a judgment call, in the sense that even if it is wired to the main panel it should be safe, as long as the main panel never sends out errant commands or someone doesn't accidentally make a mistake in programming code so that the button in the mater bath that is supposed to turn on the sconce is actually turning on the fireplace your wife is in the process of cleaning

People ask for all sorts of nutty stuff, another one is to automate the pool cover so they can control it from inside the home. No way in hell I will do that.

why not? just curious. i was thinking about it myself. where i live, it makes sense to cover the pool each night (keeps critters, eg toads, out and also holds the heat in during cooler desert nights) and then open it in the daytime. part of my morning ritual is open the cover, turn on the filter...

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
What if you closed the pool cover from inside the house without a good view of the pool and there was a child inside the pool?

The same applies to a fire place. Someone could be servicing or cleaning the fireplace, when someone in another rooms turns the fireplace on.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahlheim /forum/post/15473880

why not? just curious. ...... part of my morning ritual is open the cover, turn on the filter...

In addition to possibly trapping someone inside, I don't want to 1) allow anyone with access to a TP or other interface to be able to open the cover or 2) password protect my TP to prevent #1.

My cover has a key that is kept up and away from the kids anytime the pool is not in use.

The filter can be automated with a Jandy or equivalent.

·
Banned
18,829 Posts
Good points you all on safety issues. We need more of that around here

I walked away from all of this because I just was not comfortable with an idea of a gas pilot in a vacation house. I was surprised that there is no automated system there without a pilot. My gas furnace in the primary house does this with a glow coil. Not sure why they don't have it for fireplaces. Or do they?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirm /forum/post/15476703

My gas furnace in the primary house does this with a glow coil. Not sure why they don't have it for fireplaces. Or do they?

Glow coils need electricity which fireplaces might not have.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hope I'm not hijacking your thread, but I have a somewhat similar question. I have a gas fireplace that has no pilot light, I have to turn the key and hold a flame above it to get it to turn on. I'm wondering if there's a way to convert that to one that I could operate with a remote control, and the Harmony One at that. Any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts