·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=22308

Gates takes on Sony and Nintendo

Ellie Gibson 10:54 18/01/2007

"If you want to play online, get an Xbox"

Microsoft chairman Bill Gates has declared that the strategy for Xbox 360 is "working perfectly", questioning Sony and Nintendo's next-gen console offerings.

As reported by Dean Takahashi of the San Jose Mercury News, Gates observed that the original Xbox was "20 per cent better" than its rivals.

However, he continued, "It didn't matter. We were a year late, didn't have the best games. We had this bigger box. We did have online. We didn't switch positions on that."

But as for the strategy for Xbox 360, "It's working perfectly. We wanted to be the guy with the small box that costs less. We wanted to have the most games. We wanted to play to our software strength, and tools and online.

"We wanted to swap positions with Sony. We wanted to not be a year late, not be a big box, not be a more expensive box. How are we doing on that?"

According to Gates, Nintendo "clearly did some things right" in the past - such as building a close relationship with UK studio Rare. ("In my household, everybody plays Viva Piñata," Gates revealed.)

But he questioned Nintendo's strategy for the Wii, saying, "Look at the resolution you get with a controlled experience like that. Say to yourself, how in terms of using a game for a long period of time, what kind of accuracy and capability do you want?

"Look at the classic Nintendo positioning. Look at the graphics. Look at Nintendo's execution in terms of online capability... If you want to play online, get an Xbox. We're not standing still.

"Look at what you saw today connecting up the world to the Windows PC. Do you expect Nintendo to rev up a team to create cross-device gaming and tool kits to develop those things? Not very likely."

Gates also criticised Sony and the way the PlayStation 3's processors have been developed. "They were going to have the Cell be the video processor. But they didn't know what they were doing... They turned to Nvidia at the last minute, but Nvidia can't do embedded DRAM.

"Go look at the bandwidth problems... They took their year and burned it by not having a decent CPU strategy and then turning to Nvidia at the last minute. It's a very unusual thing. Those processors are isolated from each other."

Gates went on to say that he doesn't believe any of the first batch of PS3 games will look better than Halo 3, and questioned whether the option to create games at 1080p gives Sony's console a great advantage, stating, "Go ask the game developers."

For more about Gates's take on gaming, read our account of his CES keynote.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Gates is smoking crack. Ask any owner of the Wii or the PS3 if the world would be a better (more fun) place without these two consoles. The 360 is a great shooter's console. Like to kill people (in your imagination)? Buy a 360. Want to go bowling? Buy a Wii. It's too early to predict the niche that the PS3 will fill. Maybe it will be the best all-around console, due to the ports/upgrades of PS2 games that it will probably get.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I wonder if Bill Gates and his family plays Vinta Pinata, can they actually have a converstation while the machine is on.

Also maybe he doesn't know it, it cost 50 dollars for 13 months of playing online.

I think someone should tell him this.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Also maybe he doesn't know it, it cost 50 dollars for 13 months of playing online.

?

Your asking this after 5 years later. Also state a little more facts when you qoute about the live service cost. Your missing alot of info.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Gates wasn't bashing, so this shouldn't turn into a flame thread...he made some pretty spot-on comments. His questioning of the Sony CELL situation is pretty much the same thing everyone has been talking about for months now.

To whoever complained about $50 bucks for online gameplay, thats $4 bucks a month or so....if you pay full retail price for the service.

1) The Xbox online experience is virtually seamless...you turn on the xbox, you're on Live and getting updates, chat, video, game invites all in real time. Downloads, pause a game, go into chat, chat while in a game, etc, etc, etc.

2) The Xbox online experience works nearly flawlessly..chat works in every game.

Worth $50 bucks? You betcha.

If Sony said "we'll make all our games multiplayer have online chat functioning, including game inviting and notifications of whos online and do real-time chat while gaming" I'd pay them $50 bucks too.

Please...Sony....take my $50 bucks...cuz your online sucks right now.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I'm still surprised its only $50 for the year, just as I was a couple years ago when I signed up. I think it is a great value.

MS is also aggressively pursuing exclusive titles and has taken some away from Sony. There are allot of neat technologies out there, but the in thing these days is the integration of them all. MS has the advantage here, just because its part of what they do as a software company. In the near future you could have people playing games against each other from the 360, PC and mobile devices. The throw in all the MS PVR stuff. They had a pretty good strategy.

That being said, when the PS3 price drops and there is a great exclusive I'm interested in, I will probably end up with one. Just like I did with the PS2.

I'll get a Wii when I can find one

Overall, seems like a great time to be a gamer, 3 interesting choices.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
XBOX LIVE is a great bargin at 50 bucks a year. The service provided for one dollar a week is just outstanding IMO.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegisx /forum/post/0

I'm still surprised its only $50 for the year, just as I was a couple years ago when I signed up. I think it is a great value.

MS is also aggressively pursuing exclusive titles and has taken some away from Sony. There are allot of neat technologies out there, but the in thing these days is the integration of them all. MS has the advantage here, just because its part of what they do as a software company. In the near future you could have people playing games against each other from the 360, PC and mobile devices. The throw in all the MS PVR stuff. They had a pretty good strategy.

That being said, when the PS3 price drops and there is a great exclusive I'm interested in, I will probably end up with one. Just like I did with the PS2.

I'll get a Wii when I can find one

Overall, seems like a great time to be a gamer, 3 interesting choices.

Actually live is cheaper than that...I remember when no deals could be found on live. Now places have them for like 35 bucks on sale or bundled in with a camera or a couple of arcade games for 50 bucks...Live is a steal and is probably one of the most groundbreaking things ever to come to a console...Its stable/reliable and offers basically anything anyone could want....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie W. Holmes /forum/post/0

Gates is smoking crack. Ask any owner of the Wii or the PS3 if the world would be a better (more fun) place without these two consoles. The 360 is a great shooter's console. Like to kill people (in your imagination)? Buy a 360. Want to go bowling? Buy a Wii. It's too early to predict the niche that the PS3 will fill. Maybe it will be the best all-around console, due to the ports/upgrades of PS2 games that it will probably get.

Wii is fun if you have more than one person to play with and like quirky style of games. The ps3 is more of a show piece because their is nothing fun about it...

·
Registered
4,469 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Krypton /forum/post/0

I wonder if Bill Gates ever had his console give him the red ring of death.

Does he have an extended warranty?

Does he call 1800 myxbox when he has issues?

These are the questions that plague me.

I wonder why a man with X-billion dollars sits around the house in his underwear playing Viva Pinata. Where are the nudie girls? Where are the monkey fights?

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Krypton /forum/post/0

I wonder if Bill Gates ever had his console give him the red ring of death.

Does he have an extended warranty?

Does he call 1800 myxbox when he has issues?

These are the questions that plague me.

I really dont think he cares. Maybe you do, and I agree the failure rate is higher with them than other devices.. but with 10.4 million shipped, sold, whatever you want to call it in the past year it really cant be that big of a deal.

And evidently alot of other people dont care either.

For everybody that runs here to cry their 360 failed once, twice, whatever number of times. You forget to realize people like bad news. People love to criticize. So when something good happens their silent.. when something bad happens its front page news. Watch the news at 11 tonite and see how many good stories you hear versus the bad. The reality is most 360's operate with no problem, and if they do have a problem MS has worked pretty effectively to fix or replace it.

To answer your questions.. yes I've did all of the above. And it wasnt a horrible experience at all. Definitely not one for me to even bring up. My launch system died on me in July. They sent me another one in the span of about 2 weeks later and I've never had a problem with it.

As far as the article itself. I dont think Gates speaks out enough about the qualities of the system. While theres no need to bash Nintendo or Sony, there is always a need to point out things your product can do.. that the competition cant.

Thats call marketing, and to market your product you have to advertise its strengths.

I do find it pretty hilarious what he said about the cell though, and how Sony ran to Nvidia for a quick fix. I think that also underlines why Sony didnt think a hardware scaler was necessary for the PS3. Seems like the cell was the answer to every question they had.

I cant wait to see how the 360 interacts with Visio.. and IPTV.. the call has already been made to Verizion for their Fios service.

Bring it on!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts

Quote:
For everybody that runs here to cry their 360 failed once, twice, whatever number of times. You forget to realize people like bad news. People love to criticize. So when something good happens their silent.. when something bad happens its front page news. Watch the news at 11 tonite and see how many good stories you hear versus the bad. The reality is most 360's operate with no problem, and if they do have a problem MS has worked pretty effectively to fix or replace it.

My post was all in fun. My 360 failed but it was a non issue. I went to Gamestop and they handed me another one. I have no gripe with the 360, or any of the consoles for that matter.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/0

Makes perfect sense to me...

same here....its not a bash folks he just claiming what he wanted for the 360 and they (he) is accomplishing. its true when you look at PS3 what are their goals....seems to me none they want to make an all in one bread maching such as the PSP and thats gone nowhere vs DS. he is comparing his goals to the other two thats all, but if you compare nintendos goals to MS well its a different story and hence PS3 to MS....

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga /forum/post/0

Gates also criticised Sony and the way the PlayStation 3's processors have been developed. "They were going to have the Cell be the video processor. But they didn't know what they were doing... They turned to Nvidia at the last minute, but Nvidia can't do embedded DRAM.

What is Gates referring to here?

Was Sony going to use the cell processor for the gpu?

Was Sony going to have a cell for the main processor as well as another cell for the gpu?

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mterzich /forum/post/0

What is Gates referring to here?

Was Sony going to use the cell processor for the gpu?

Was Sony going to have a cell for the main processor as well as another cell for the gpu?

All I can take from what he was saying is that it was assumed that it was that powerful to handle what the current GPU is doing for them. It is a bit vague.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mboojigga /forum/post/0

All I can take from what he was saying is that it was assumed that it was that powerful to handle what the current GPU is doing for them. It is a bit vague.

That seems weak if Sony was trying to use one cell as both a main processor as well as a gpu. I wonder if they started believing their own hype that the cell could produce miracles.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.