Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I wanted to start a thread specifically targeting the Gateway AR-230 DVD+R/+RW Recorder. I know there are other threads regarding the LiteOn LVW-5001 which is apparently the same device, but I think there are some differences.

For example, they each have their own firmware revision path. Would the LiteOn updates work on the Gateway or would it screw it up? The reason I ask this one is that apparently the latest LiteOn firmware fixes the 1394 DV bug that causes it to pause and enter "stopping" mode and lock up. The latest Gateway version does not include this.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a Gateway AR230 DVD Recorder. When watching movies the video periodically goes blank for about a second, however, the audio stays on. I upgraded the firmware per Gateway's advice, however, no improvement. I exchanged the entire unit, however, the same problem exists. Any advice would be appreciated.

The DVD Recorder was free bonus for buying their 56" DLP, so I can't return for a refund.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to be redundant with the other threads I posted this message to but wanted to make sure it got exposure.

Greetings, my first post and very new to this forum. I wanted to share with you my experience with the Gateway 56†DLP TV and DVD-Recorder.

I also wanted to encourage each of you who have problems with the TV and/or DVD-Recorder to contact Gateway, if they hear from enough of us they may address the issues.

I received the television and DVD-Recorder on January 28th, both arrived in excellent condition and worked fine out of the box. Within 5 days several problems were noticed.

Loss of signal through Component 1 & 2 when using Gateway DVD-Recorder and older Sony DVD Player. Problem does not occur if the Gateway DVD-Recorder is in Progressive Scan Mode but does occur if it is not. The Sony is not Progressive Scan and the problem occurs frequently.

I have also replaced all Component Cables with Costly Monster Cables in hopes this would resolve the issue, I assure you it does not.

Intermittently upon startup I can not get a signal from any source, just snow. A quick reboot and all signals return. Gateway sent out a Decision-One Technician who replaced the Video Input Board (VIS Board). This seems to have cured this particular problem.

DVD-Recorder Issue – In progressive Scan mode, there is what appears to be a 1†wide ribbon running vertical from top to bottom on the right edge of the picture. It appears the entire 1†band shifted down 5-10 pixels. This appears in every mode of the TV whether Center, Stretch, etc. It is easiest to see in horizontal lines running across the screen. It is also visible in PIP but only on the source connected to Component. This is not the “black bar issue†referred to on Gateway’s Website. The Recorder does have the latest Firmware V. 1139, I have also reapplied it. Gateway did send a new Recorder, same issues as the old.

This coming Monday a new Gateway TV will be brought in. I suspect none of the issues will be resolved as I believe these are Firmware Issues that have not been addressed. This is my reason for this posting, if you have similar issues please call Gateway. Again, if enough of us report the problems they will get addressed. However, if we simply live with them or bypass them they will not.

Thanks for listening to my rant,

Jim

t-jeep-j.com

·
Registered
256 Posts
Gateway plasma's were ranked DEAD LAST in all catagories for picture quality recently by Consumer Reports and other AV magazines. It seems you don't get much for the price, so there is a reason their prices are lower than many other TV manufacturers. They must buy the cheapest Chinese electronics and re-badge them with their name (I'm sure the DVD recorders are the same) so beware.

·
Registered
16,165 Posts
Avoid this DVD recorder like the plague. I bought the LiteOn 5001 (it's the same unit as the Gateway). It broke after only 2 months (wouldn't recognize any DVDs - probably the laser). I had to pay to ship it to LiteOn to fix, under warranty. They shipped it back 3 weeks later. I took it out of the box, plugged it in, and it would not load any DVD. They are currently expecting me to pay to ship it back to them.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I've got one that I bought yesterday, and so far it's needed to be unplugged twice in order to get it to work properly. It gets in some state after recording for two hours that it doesn't recognize any discs.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
They cant be all bad can they? Couldn't pass this one up at the $199 price point. They don't come any cheaper price then this at this time. I have heard a mixed bag on the Gateway/Lite-on units. Some are stellar reviews and some are problem reviews. Have anyone using these drives used different media to see if it resolved anything. I'm hoping it will work with the 25 DVD+RW disc's I already own. I guess I will find out Monday when I receive it, I hope I get a good unit.

·
Registered
16,165 Posts
As an update, LiteOn paid for the shipping the 2nd time around, and it's been working fine since. It has a good quality PQ and is easy to use, when it works. Clearly a reliability problem (probably due to the fact that it runs very hot, and has no visible vent openings). Hope you get a good unit.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BillP
As an update, LiteOn paid for the shipping the 2nd time around, and it's been working fine since. It has a good quality PQ and is easy to use, when it works. Clearly a reliability problem (probably due to the fact that it runs very hot, and has no visible vent openings). Hope you get a good unit.
Thanks I'm hoping so as well, I have read that they do run hot, I see the new LVW-5005 has a fan in it. I was tempted to buy that one but the price was holding me back on it. I had heard that a while back there were deals on the 5001 for $199 and finally one came through at gateway like this.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Well, Just received my AR-230 here at work, Im going to try and put the latest Liteon LVW-5001 firmware on it and hope it takes. Reading about this recorder it appears that many bugs have been fixed with the latest firmware just released and of coarse gateway hasnt released anything new in the last 5 months to correct the problems, I read on a Liteon Forum that this works but the one drawback is you cant use gateway firmware again which I would suspect voids your gateway warrenty. But hey for $199 I will take a shot. Also been some design changes as well, Not big on the front its mirrored, The big change is the fan added to the unit where as the older ones dont have a fan and were having heat problems. I will report back later with my results.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Well, All is well after hours of trying to figure out how I needed to setup everything, I got it all setup and going and set to tape off my cable box and OTA HD tuner tonight. I also upgraded to the latest Liteon firmware without a hitch so anyone wanting to get the lastest firmware can do so if you have a Gateway AR-230. Dont know how this effects your warrenty though. It shouldnt as far as Im concerned, If Gateway cant keep up with the latest firmware to fix alot of the problems with this unit then you should be able to load the liteon firmware without losing your warrenty.

Now to the funny thing the DVD+RW disc that came with it did not work with my Gateway recorder or my Sony recorder in my computer, Just know up front if you pick one of these up that the RW they give you might not even work with the recorder, Im glad it appears the 25 rewritable discs I allready have seem to work ok with it, Tried 3 of them and they all loaded up fine. Its underway taping I mean burning :D as we speak. I also used the hacked liteon firmware to get a 3 hour mode selection that I am using as well right now. Goto the link in this thread and you will find all you need to know about this firmware. Anyways thats my experience so far, Now I have to hope its reliable, Im glad I got a newer unit with the fan built into it as well so maybe things will go smooth. If they do you cant beat it for $199.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Thanks a bunch for the Gateway $100 coupon offer on an already unbelievable recorder price. At $200 we can all find out how well it performs and thrash it out with Gateway on perfecting it. Ordered it today.

I'll let everyone know here and in the review section after we explore it.

gil

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Not a problem on the coupon, The HSN offer was pretty dam good too, about $10 cheaper than the $199 after the different shipping charges from the 2 companies. But oh well what can ya do.:)

All is good so far with mine, recording 24 as we speak off my HD tuner. Need to break it in to see if it holds up.

Latest Liteon firmware upgrade works without a hitch, Just goto the link in this thread if you decide not to wait on gateway. Some guy in the other forum claimed that he had no problems with the gateway firmware. I liked the new added features with the liteon upgrade so I did it right off the bat.

The liteon firmware supposedly fixes many bugs in the old firmware and adds new features such as OTR which is not standard out of the box.

Don't know how this affects the warranty though.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thought I read somewhere that TechTV gave it 5 out of 5 stars?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Yea, TechTV liked it and a few others I had found on the web liked it. But it is not without its faults but for $199 you cant beat it at this time. The tuner is mono only but if you connect a stereo source into it gets buy this issue, Why they couldn't put a stereo tuner in it for cheap I don't quite get but such is life in the lowest priced DVD recorder you can buy right now. Also another note to anyone that buys this recorder The DVD+RW that came with my unit did not work with either the recorder or in my pc burner so go out and buy at least another name brand disc before you decide to send it back. I also encountered an error while recording last night in either it doesnt like my new firmware or it has bugs or it didn't like my media. Haven't played enough with it yet to find out which it is. I wasn't alone in this behavior either with the 1163 firmware over in the liteon forums.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
OK just a few more observations after messing around with it some more tonight. No. 1 the tuner all around is not very hot no stereo and I also read the something in the liteon forums about the tuning on it not being too hot and it isnt. I guess it will do in a pinch but I get wavy lines through it. Hooking it direct to my cable box cures this problem. Recorded a program tonight with no problems off my HD box and it looks incrediable to me. Is it a perfect recorder? No, far from it but for the price I think its worth it, I don't think I would pay more than the $199 for it though with its short comings. But for that price I would recommend it. I would give it a 3 out of 5 stars myself.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.