AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my Gateway 56" a couple days. So far happy with the picture and everything else. One problem, however, is when watching a DVD that is hooked up to Comp 1, "Comp 1" displays every couple minutes in the upper left hand corner. It disappears after a couple seconds. i have been thru all the menus, but can't find how to stop. Any ideas on how to stop or is this a software problem in the tv?

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
Have you tried asking Gateway?

·
Registered
64 Posts
gd85...

Wierd problem. Have you tried hooking up same DVD player to comp 2? Not sure what this will prove but results might be intresting.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,

I have had the same thing happen on "COMP2". Every now and then "COMP2" appears in the corner, but it only seemed to happen on "The Lion King" DVD I was watching. (And it always happens on the same spots on the DVD ) It never happens on any other DVD I've watched so far. Try some different DVD's and see if it does it on all of them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I changed the wiring to Comp 2. So far no problem. HD is now hooked up to Comp 1. So far no problem on Comp 1 either. Maybe a sensitive wiring problem in the DVD cables?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am having the same problem. Tried two DVD players, Comp 1 and 2, and two cables (one is a $75 Monster cable). Still having the problem with all combinations.

Are any of you still having this problem? Gateway doesn't want to help because this doesn't seem to happen with my ReplayTV.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I noticed some of the above problems as well but I think somehow they only occur while playing non-progressive DVD players. I hooked up the free DVD player/recorder that came with the set and noticed problems right away. However when I finally managed to get the player off "component" and into "progressive" not only did the picture improve tremendously but the problems went away.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bgluigi
I think somehow they only occur while playing non-progressive DVD players.
That must be it. I will have to use S-Video for now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by td99
That must be it. I will have to use S-Video for now.

Thanks!
------

However, I still have the DVD hooked up using component cables. I just changed the video setting from "component" to "progressive" so you might say the DVD player is set to component/progressive setting.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't seem to have the problem anymore since I switch the DVD player to Comp 2. I got the free DVD recorder that came with the Gateway. I don't understand this component vs. progressive setting on the DVD player. I changed the setting from component to progressive and the picture is worse. I am using component video cables. The picture seems fine on the component video setting, but I am new to the world of high end equipment. Should it be better on the progressive mode?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Most of the time you get a better picture using the red, blue, and green colored component cables than using the s-video or composite cable and again you usually get a better picture using progressive scan DVD players vs the other kind. With that Gateway DVD player I had a devil of a time trying to determine if I was getting a progressive scan output--nowhere in the instruction booklet does it tell you how to get the player in progressive scan. It never occurred to me that you have to go thru "component" to get to progressive scan and even when I tried several times it wouldn't change---finally it did and the picture improved immensely. However the picture I get off my JVC progressive scan DVD player is somewhat better and I have the capability of tweaking the picture with the gamma adjustments. I really am inpressed with this TV. The hi-def is razer sharp and the colors are so vivid. My wife cannot tell the difference between the hi-def picure and the DVD movies...the picture is so good. I'm happy you no longer have the "com2" popping up and have a better picture. Happy viewing.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The "Comp 2" popped up last night. So now i know its dvd player's problem, not the tv since it has occured on both Comp 1 and Comp 2. The picture will go blank for about a second, but no sound is lost. Maybe only has the problem on certain DVDs. I will call Gateway. They will probably give me the runaround.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gd85
The "Comp 2" popped up last night. So now i know its dvd player's problem, not the tv since it has occured on both Comp 1 and Comp 2. The picture will go blank for about a second, but no sound is lost. Maybe only has the problem on certain DVDs. I will call Gateway. They will probably give me the runaround.
Is your DVD player Progressive Scan?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes, it is a progressive scan. I exchanged the recorder for another. The same problem exists.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gd85
yes, it is a progressive scan. I exchanged the recorder for another. The same problem exists.
My guess is that the Gateway DLP RPTV is not getting a progressive scan output from your DVD player. I only know to well what happens if this TV is not fed a progressive scan signal---see all my posts. Do you have another DVD player that you know for sure puts out a progressive scan signal? If not beg, borrow, or steal one and hook it up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the DVD output set to "Component" not Progressive Scan. The progressive scan setting yields a lesser quality picture. I asked the salesman about this and he gave me some doubletalk explanation about the Progresive Scan setting is for LCD or Plasma screens.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just tried another DVD player. Same problem. The problem must be in the TV component inputs. I will have a Gateway technician look at and post the results.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my new GW. I have non progessive scan DVD (JVC xv-m555), I was trying to stay away from buying a new DVD player and was told that the DCDi chip in the TV would convert for me and there was no reason for Progressive scan. It does the same thing when changing channels through the cable box via S-cable. Which I can live with since I will be switching to HD Dave TV by summer, which should solve that problem.

But it's a pain in the butt trying to watch DVD's this way, I guess I'll have to buy a sammy 931 and hook it up to the DVI. Maybe my remote will work on that DVD player becasue it doesn't work on my current DVD player. Still love this tv, I see all problems can be fixed. I'm having it calibrate in 2 weeks, maybe this will help this problem.

Later

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey there...

The problem isn't really with the TV. We see the same problem in the store sometimes with the AR-230 and even our 220 connected DVD player. Basically, when the shapters skip sometimes there will be a momentary pause... it's actually an issue with the disc more than the player or the TV. Even most high-end DVD players will hang on chapter transitions.

The TV basically picks up the signal dropping out and coming back in... just like if you were to unplug the cables, and plug them back in. Most TV's will do this, but our TV's are especially sensative to the input (infact it is capable of displaying over 50 different resolutions in DVI which is a nice feature). What you are experiencing is totally normal, and if I can find a way to stop this from happening I will certainly post it here.

Thanks,

~Lance

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ah that explains why I have never seen this problem, since I use an htpc to play my dvd's, the signal is ALWAYS the native resolution of the tv, so the it can never confuse the tv.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.