AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow I was shocked to see the 56 inch Gateway DLP down to [PRICE REMOVED]after mail in rebate. I assume these all have to be delivered and you cannot p/u in store correct? would love to do without the sales tax here in FL but of course the shipping off sets that. Anyways no major news but a good sign that things are once again coming down in price. With the samsung around 5k its hard to justify 2k for the extra 5 inches....or $400 an inch.....

·
Registered
64 Posts
Suzook---I was even more shocked when I went to my local Gateway store here in Las Vegas and previewed the set---GREAT PICTURE!!! But they were going to charge me for shipping, taxes and they stated that the DVD burner was NOT included in the price. However---my story does have a happy ending--just by chance I got on their website and learned that if you ordered this set online the $500 rebate becomes an instant price reduction, the dvd burner is included (a $300.00 value) and there is no sales tax (at least for me in Nevada). I only had to pay the shipping cost of $199.00. How do you like them apples?

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
Looks like GW is pulling out all the stops to get a major market share in the DLP market.

Bgluigi

I don't like them apples. 33 days ago I paid almost $400 more and did not get a dvd recorder :p

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
-goes off to hunt down reviews-

*sigh* im going to purchase an hdtv set.. that much is certain, now the homework/info mining has begun..

-sigh- crap! :(

anyone got reviews for this unit? seems like a really good "deal".. i even saw it posted on hot deal sites and such..

WWW.gateway.com/ [Dealer Link]

Gateway 56" DLP HD-ready RPTV

...argh! must.. buy.. new... hdset

*goes off to do homework on dlp, lcos, etc etc etc*

·
Registered
57 Posts
In regard to this TV, you really need to go to a 'Gateway Country' store & see it for yourself. This is true of any TV, I wouldn't just rely on others opinions.

My family & I went & checked this TV out last week. We loved the cabinet color & screen size for the price. However, the 'reflections' you see on the screen were a big problem-to us it seemed you could see just about everything in it like a mirror. This drove us nuts especially considering where we were gonna place it(in a family room connected to a kitchen & plenty of surrounding windows). Plus the images were a bit fuzzier than a comparable RP-LCD.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Fredline
In regard to this TV, you really need to go to a 'Gateway Country' store & see it for yourself. This is true of any TV, I wouldn't just rely on others opinions.

My family & I went & checked this TV out last week. We loved the cabinet color & screen size for the price. However, the 'reflections' you see on the screen were a big problem-to us it seemed you could see just about everything in it like a mirror. This drove us nuts especially considering where we were gonna place it(in a family room connected to a kitchen & plenty of surrounding windows). Plus the images were a bit fuzzier than a comparable RP-LCD.

Just my 2 cents.
Going to a showroom to see how the set looks would be ideal, but it's rare that you're getting the true "picture" by doing so. You don't know how well they have the TV set up (usually not well at all) and you don't know how much the set might benefit from a calibration. This unfortunately is true for virtually any TV purchase. Educated opinions are indispensable, for better or worse.

I can't comment on the picture quality on these Gateways, since I haven't seen one in person. But I can say that the Samsung DLP RPTV's have a very effective anti-glare screen.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DannyBaker
Going to a showroom to see how the set looks would be ideal, but it's rare that you're getting the true "picture" by doing so. You don't know how well they have the TV set up (usually not well at all) and you don't know how much the set might benefit from a calibration. This unfortunately is true for virtually any TV purchase. Educated opinions are indispensable, for better or worse.

I can't comment on the picture quality on these Gateways, since I haven't seen one in person. But I can say that the Samsung DLP RPTV's have a very effective anti-glare screen.
------------------------

Sure wish I could have my Toshiba 56H80 protective screen ISF calibrated. :D

·
Coyote Waits
27,294 Posts
I don't feel like buying any RPTV now without a "no cost" thirty day return policy. :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gd85
I just bought one in Virginia. Shipping was free and they threw in the DVD recorder.
awesome great impulse buy, this is how you get in on some really good deals..

but do us a favor and return after you've got it and give impressions, feedback, reviews, etc etc etc

please :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.