AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello folks.. i have a couple of questions.. i just got the gateway plasma delivered to me this week. i set it up with a s video input and set the controls the best that i can.. but the clarity just isn't there on movies..( pear harbor , matrix etc) although the monsters inc. movie looks great.. seems like regular TV coming through a RCA sat receiver via s video just looks well grainy.. I'm about 6 feet from the screen and i just doesn't have that window clear effect i was hoping for.. i do have 15 days to return it but i would like to make sure i have it set right.. anyone else get one yet? and if so how do you like it and have it set up? contrast , brightness , color etc?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I would return it.The gateway has been talked about on this forum for about a month.I don't think it got any good reviews(maybe 1).Its a rebadged sampo(made in korea).Not quite up to speed with the japanese plasma's.Spend $500 more and get a panny.You won't regret it. bm

·
Premium Member
3,003 Posts
I don't have a Gateway, but are you using the component inputs for connecting your DVD player to the display? If not, you should give that a try.

Compression artifacts tend to show up well on plasma displays for satellite and digital cable sources, but there are steps you can take to minimize the effect (see the FAQ).

It also sounds like you could use Avia or Video Essentials to set up your display.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by batman09
I would return it.The gateway has been talked about on this forum for about a month.I don't think it got any good reviews(maybe 1).Its a re-badged sampo(made in korea).Not quite up to speed with the japanese plasma's.Spend $500 more and get a panny.You won't regret it. bm
thanks for the input.. is the panny clear from 6ft away? mine kinda looks like you looking through a window on satellite or dvd playback..granted im using a xbox for playback right now with s video out and optic to the denon but still most of the time i will be watching satellite and im just not happy.. what model panny should i be looking into ?

·
Registered
698 Posts
I sit from 7 ft and it perfectly clear.The panny th-pwd5uy model(6ft or more viewing distance) is about $3600 and and the hd model th-phd5uy(6ft or less) is about $4600.I would look at them both side by side and then decide for yourself. good luck bm

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this site is great for a starter like me :D

Batman I took your advice .I'm sending the gateway back.. now i have a couple of questions in another thread that i hope you or someone can answer here is the link.. its a comparison and explanation of how i am using and viewing the plasma.. are all plasma no HD TVs grainy looking.. almost a haze? here is the link http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=197837

·
Registered
246 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jersey jay
im using a xbox for playback right now with s video out and optic to the denon
jay, have you eliminated the Denon and video cable as possible causes? Have you tried plugging the xbox directly into the plasma with a good quality cable?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no havn't tried that.. but I did have my old tv hooked up to the same set up and the picture quality was great. i'm also using AR pro s video cables if that helps :confused: thanks i'll try that tonight

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have found the XBOX DVD Playback very poor quality- I noticed it was very grainy. I love the games though!!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.