AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first HLN56W PQ was a bit on the dark side. Second one had a stuck mirror and excesive fan noise. Both had color problems. Greens looked flourescent, and problems with motion (could have been signal or STB) I wish I loved mine since I have great respect for the opinions on this board, but my experience was just not good. I just wanted to post my experience..................
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
Sorry to hear its not working out. I am always amazed to hear of people going through 2 and 3 of these sets. Some end up with a good one, others give up and move on.


Samsung must have a S-load of returns, hundreds and hundreds of them. When will the B stock sale start? :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,192 Posts
I looked several times at the HLN467W along with the 50 and 56 inch versions for a couple of hours (at three locations) and I just couldn't talk myself into buying one.


I have a front projector (D-ILA JVC G150) and understand how good the HD2 chip can look but I never saw it look as good in these sets. At first they appear very bright and offer a great 3D look and I was ready to roll. Though each time I spent a while viewing mostly HD I would see far too many issues to purchase one. The biggest one was "red lightning bolts" quite often in faces. I have seen a similar (but not nearly as bad) effect (digital noise?) with the HD2 chip in front projectors but nothing to this extent.


Often the image would appear to get lost for a lack of a more technical term. Now don't get me wrong most of the times the image is wonderful which made the issues even more bothersome. I guess I'm too anal and each time I would see one of these flaws I would be out of the "experience" enough to not put up with the set.


I could have just been unlucky with really bad HD images but I'm guessing I wasn't since a couple of times I compared their image to a Mits WS48413 and each time the Mits looked stable as a rock... certainly not as sharp (artificially or not is another matter) or as bright but for me with an image I preferred. So much so I ended up buying the Mits when all along I was ready to roll with a DLP.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
831 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Barrybud
Samsung must have a S-load of returns, hundreds and hundreds of them. When will the B stock sale start? :D
And you base your information on.......?
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
2,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ConceptVBS
And you base your information on.......?
On endless posts on this forum. I cant even begin to list the AVS members that have had multiple sets. Plus we have been told repeatedly that we here are only a thin slice of would-be HDTV owners.


Are you saying that you never noticed how many have had defective units replaced?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
438 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ConceptVBS
And you base your information on.......?
Uh .. I would imagine he based it on the neverending stream of posts in this forum from people that have replaced their sets, are watiing for parts, have brought them back altogether .. etc ... etc ..


It is sort of amazing how the set seems to stick around despite it probably holding the title of all time most complaints/issues/problems/bugs/etc of any product line ever discussed here .. just goes to show how much the consumer demand is for a rptv like the samsung dlps.


- pink
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
251 Posts
I have to second what is being said about the returns of the samsung DLP's. I myself have gone through two sets and I am now on my third. Putting aside all that has been said about this set, what is the majority opinion on why this set is for all practical purposes being sent back numerous times?


I feel that samsung in many ways rushed these DLP sets to production without working out some of the major issues that have been reported throughout the forum.


BiG JJL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
My third set is on it's way Saturday. First set had a 1 1/2 inch white circle that looked like a smudge of some kind but it was behind the screen. Also the audio and video were frequently out of sync. Exchanged for a second set which has a screen skew and 3 bad pixels. I've actually considered keeping this one since the bad pixels are completely unnoticeable and the color looks much better than the first set. The tilted screen although slight just gets to me, especially when any kind of text is on the screen. I tried a service call on this one and the tech did not want to go near the DMD to try and re-align. So why am I trying a third? Watched my first NHL game in HD the other night and there is no turning back!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Barrybud
On endless posts on this forum. I cant even begin to list the AVS members that have had multiple sets. Plus we have been told repeatedly that we here are only a thin slice of would-be HDTV owners.


Are you saying that you never noticed how many have had defective units replaced?
I hardly think Samsung is being overwhelmed with returns. I imagine only a fraction of all Samsung DLP owners have any knowledge of AVS forum. Secondly, those who post here seem quite more knowledgable and demanding than the average consumer. Last, its a given that people who have problems w/ their DLP's will post their complaints. However, DLP owners who are satisfied with their sets won't post everyday saying how happy they are with their sets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ucsdsig
I hardly think Samsung is being overwhelmed with returns. I imagine only a fraction of all Samsung DLP owners have any knowledge of AVS forum.
Small, small fraction. Most people just buy a product and live with it, or return it. We're, quite simply (IMHO) an anomoly.
Quote:
Secondly, those who post here seem quite more knowledgable and demanding than the average consumer.
True, that's why we're here in this forum, as clumsy as it may be. We're "tweakers," some 3% of the population!
Quote:
Last, its a given that people who have problems w/ their DLP's will post their complaints. However, DLP owners who are satisfied with their sets won't post everyday saying how happy they are with their sets.
Absolutely! We need to keep in mind that people who post their thoughts rarely, if ever, post "Hey, Just wanted to say everything's fine! Thanks!", and walk off. Only the more critical people, looking for solutions to real and imagined problems will come here and post. You could never get a "scientific survey" of DLP from this forum, it's too "tainted."


That said, I'm now on my third HLN467: the first was dropped in transit, the second went out with the three LEDs problem, and the third, I'll admit, is great. I hated it when I was in my small apartment, but now moving it into a large viewing room in a new house, well, it's great.


I struggled with that at first: "If the picture up close is bad, isn't the set just 'bad'?" But after seeing my DLP in some distance I'm comfortable with the close-watching problems, and don't really have to endure them. I suppose if I sat in the front row of a movie theater I'd see something of the same (not as bad, granted), but close inspection of anything reveals the faults. OTOH, for more that $3K, I'd expected a bit better, but I like my 467 ... from a distance.


Brats
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
ucsdsig:


Huh?


What makes you think that the percentage of problem sets among non-AVS Forum members is lower than the sample of owners on this forum? That makes ZERO sense to me. It makes a LOT more sense to me to extrapolate the sample ownership base here into a broader comment about the reliability of the unit in general - unless you believe that the sample set of AVS Forum users who bought the Samsung DLP just received a disproportionally large amount of bad TV's. Not likely.


One of the reasons why I chose the Panasonic LCD over the Samsung DLP - other than the material difference in cost between the two - was the amount of "I'm on my third Sammy DLP" posts that I have seen on this forum. In fact, it seems that many of these newer technologies (such as the Sammy DLP and the Toshiba/Philips LCoS sets) have had their share of problems. Not a big surprise - taking the existing 3-chip versions and trying to convert them into 1-chip solutions at relatively attractive price points, while laudable, had the potential for problems. That is NOT to say that both DLP and LCoS technologies are not better than RP LCD sets - I have heard enough glowing comments about both of these technologies to understand why people feel that way. There are MANY owners of Sammy DLP's who got good sets and are LOVING them! I just felt that the RP LCD technology sees to have a bit fewer kinks attached to it (especially when it comes to mass production), and that - combined with the lower price point - made it easy for me to wait until the issues are resolved on DLP or LCoS before diving in...and in the meantime, I STILL can enjoy the relatively solid HD experience (and all of the form-factor benefits) that comes with the Panasonic LCD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bebopdeluxe
ucsdsig:


Huh?


What makes you think that the percentage of problem sets among non-AVS Forum members is lower than the sample of owners on this forum? That makes ZERO sense to me. It makes a LOT more sense to me to extrapolate the sample ownership base here into a broader comment about the reliability of the unit in general - unless you believe that the sample set of AVS Forum users who bought the Samsung DLP just received a disproportionally large amount of bad TV's. Not likely.
Bah!


If I went by negative posts on this forum, I wouldn't buy any of these freaking sets.


You cannot make any realistic statistical comparison between complaints on this forum and number of returns in the real world. The users of this forum are not a good sample. People here will return a TV for reasons that most regular people wouldn't even notice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
170 Posts
I dunno...I think that when someone (or when MANY people) are on their THIRD set that it's probably more than just an anal-rententive obsessive-compulsive type. As I said in my post, I'm not ripping the DLP as a set - and the fact that owners will get a THIRD set to get it right speaks to how much they DESPERATELY want to get it right. They like the set THAT much.


But to say that non-forum people wouldn't ALSO have problems with the set, or that they wont SEE the problems because they are not an AVS Forum member - they're too unsophisticated or not picky - I don't know where you get THAT from. Sorry.
 

·
Coyote Waits
Joined
·
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bebopdeluxe
I dunno...
It might be better to choose a better opening comment. Pot shots are so near. :rolleyes:
 

·
Coyote Waits
Joined
·
27,302 Posts
The only dealer that I know that would tell me what their return were like thought the Panasonic DLP was a mess. He thinks returns of the Samsung DLP sets are average. His store carries Sony, Panasonic, Mitsubishi Diamond, Pioneer Elite, and Toshiba RP TV sets. They give customers excellent support so any product line with unusually large numbers of returns would cause them serious problems.


It's only a sample of five or six stores so I wouldn't draw any conclusion from it. I also wouldn't draw any conclusion from "negative/positive" messages here at AVS that haven't been tabulated.


All I can say for sure is that Panasonic quite the DLP business and Toshiba has their LCoS sets in limbo. On the other hand Samsung is supposed to be building their third factory for the HLN models.


I haven't picked one for myself yet for several reasons. One of those reasons is the large number of new sets coming onto the market and the rapid rate of upgrades being made by Samsung. Mostly I want the new competition to drive the prices down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bebopdeluxe
I dunno...I think that when someone (or when MANY people) are on their THIRD set that it's probably more than just an anal-rententive obsessive-compulsive type. As I said in my post, I'm not ripping the DLP as a set - and the fact that owners will get a THIRD set to get it right speaks to how much they DESPERATELY want to get it right. They like the set THAT much.


But to say that non-forum people wouldn't ALSO have problems with the set, or that they wont SEE the problems because they are not an AVS Forum member - they're too unsophisticated or not picky - I don't know where you get THAT from. Sorry.
Did I say that because he is on his third set that he is anal-retentive or compulsive? NO.


Are there many people on their third set? NO.


Did I say that non-forum people would not have problems with set? NO.


Did I say that non-forum people are unsophisticated? NO.


Do you need to calm down and not jump to conclusions? YES.


Regular visitors to this forum are typically more informed and educated about television technologies than most consumers are. This means that this sample of Samsung DLP owners is not necessarily a representative sample. I don't believe that you can claim that they are having reliability problems just based on this sample. That is what I believe. I might be wrong and you might be right, but please don't put words into my mouth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by htwaits
I haven't picked one for myself yet for several reasons. One of those reasons is the large number of new sets coming onto the market and the rapid rate of upgrades being made by Samsung. Mostly I want the new competition to drive the prices down.
Yes. Down. Down. Down.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mayor McCheese
Bah!


If I went by negative posts on this forum, I wouldn't buy any of these freaking sets.


You cannot make any realistic statistical comparison between complaints on this forum and number of returns in the real world. The users of this forum are not a good sample. People here will return a TV for reasons that most regular people wouldn't even notice.
This was exactly my point. Every TV that has generated excitement has it's share of critics. Rainbows w/ DLP's, bad blacks and bad pixels w/ LCD's, bad color w/ LCOS. Bah, I've seen all these sets in person and all produce pretty great pictures (from the right source). My point is that the average consumer isn't as anal as most members of this forum. But boy am I glad I found this forum...I have and continue to learn a great deal from others. It's just the brand-bashing that I hate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mayor McCheese
Regular visitors to this forum are typically more informed and educated about television technologies than most consumers are. This means that this sample of Samsung DLP owners is not necessarily a representative sample.
I agree. I doubt that the majority of DLP owners even know about entering the service menu to tweak their sets. But in AVS forum, it's common knowledge. Shoot, after a month on the board, I can name the different firmware versions Samsung has released on the DLP's. Somehow I doubt this can be said with the average customer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Quote:
My third set is on it's way Saturday. First set had a 1 1/2 inch white circle that looked like a smudge of some kind but it was behind the screen.
This is dull white oval shaped spot is normal when the television is off. It is a reflection of external light coming into the television being directed back onto one area of the screen. It's an internal reflection thing when the set is off. When the set is on, the light from inside overpowers and gets rid of this reflection. It's not an issue that you should worry about. Samsung has added an extra instert to suppliment the instruction manual address this.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top