AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I live about a mile away from this radio station and it keeps coming in. I tried to move the speaker wires but it doesn't help. I have a Altec Lansing 4.1 system. I have rapped much of the wires in HEavy Duty tin foil. It still didnt help. I cannot remove to wires because they are attached to the speakers. Please tell me what i can do, like amybe put something on the speakers.

Thanx

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
First try to isolate the "antenna". Does the station come in no matter the selected source? Does it vary with the volume control? Does switching the tuner between AM and FM make a difference? How far away is the station?

·
Registered
167 Posts
LOL! sorry i could help from laughing.....i don't know what to do, i would probably kick the radio station's antenna down....i'm pretty useless in this thread sorry!

·
Registered
251 Posts
The most important question is, is this radio station in the AM band or the FM band. I would assume it is in the AM band, because it would be very difficult to create a parasitic FM demodulator. Larry is right, you need to find the antenna. An experiment you could run is to move your speakers very close to the amplifier (or the amplifier very close to the speakers) and use as short a speaker wire as possible. You might even move the amplifier very close to one of the speakers, and then play something out of only that channel. If the problem goes away, then the antenna is the speaker cables.

I think the speaker cables are the most likely antenna. But, if you live that close to the station, there are other places the signal could creep in. Even if you do locate the antenna, solving the problem could be difficult.

Tim

·
Registered
22,274 Posts
Foil? Ain't gonna work. (probably makes it worse).

It may not be the speaker wire. I would suggest checking the quailty of the your interconnect cables (VCR, DVD, turntable, etc) or perhaps a device that is defective or not gounded properly.

One cable may be shorted/broken and the shielding compromised on an interconnect. Could just be a corroded plug...

Start by removing the interconnects one at a time from the receiver//amp and see what happens. If it stops after removing the cable for Device 'X', try a better quality cable. It it still persists, the device could be in question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First Message

Hi, I live about a mile away from this radio station and it keeps coming in. I tried to move the speaker wires but it doesn't help. I have a Altec Lansing 4.1 system. I have rapped much of the wires in HEavy Duty tin foil. It still didnt help. I cannot remove to wires because they are attached to the speakers. Please tell me what i can do, like amybe put something on the speakers.

Thanx

New Message

Sorry that i was not too specific. The speakers are for my computer. The station is a FM station. There are two 1/8in wires coming from my sound card to to my sub, to my speakers. The wires from my sub to the satelites is very thin. Is there some other thing i could put on them. The Radio station sound is the same noise level no matter what the volume on the controler. Please help.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
That sounds more like it's the speaker wires. While it seems counter-intuitive, speaker wires can receive radio signals just like all metal does. The difference is that the radio signals can go into the amplifiers output and get rectified and amplified by the output transistors, then come back out on the same wire.

The fix is to get a couple of small snap-together choke cores (RS has them) and wrap a couple of turns of the speaker wire through the cores as close to the amplifier end of each wire as you can. This blocks the RF from entering the amplifier that way. Again, the fact that the volume stays the same means it's getting in there after the volume control.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Larry, you are probably right that a choke would solve the problem. If the station is FM, then creating a large impedance at 100MHz is very easy. But, I can't imagine how the output stage of the amplifier could be acting as an FM demodulator. A transistor makes a pretty good AM receiver, through the nonlinearity of the device. But, for FM you need some kind of frequency to voltage converter, such as a PLL.

Anyway, if you manage to put an inductor close to the output of the amplifier, it will probably work.

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.