AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so I'm a Dead fan, we all have to have a few vices (and yes, I know Jerry died)! Recently the Grateful Dead announced a new release of a DVD which is of the entire 1978 New Years Ever show to close Winterland. The release date is 11/11/03, so I can't view the produce for a while.

I am hoping one of you video experts can explain the significance of the following advertisement note:

"Produced from the original 2" Quad video master and 24 track audio, with Dolby Digital 5.1, 2.0 and DTS 5.1 audio options as well as an alternate camera angle option for 3 songs."

What is meant by the comment "original 2" Quad video master"? Does this mean I can hope for film quality widescreen video? Most of the Dead DVD's have been released using television (4:3) video and I am hoping this means we will have some widescreen to watch this time. Can anyone with a knowledge of video production shed some light on this for me???

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
That's kind of early to be expecting any sort of high definition videotape. Beta had barely begun at that time.

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am really asking about aspect ratio and if this reference to the master gives a clue??? I understand the limited quality of the video from the time, but if this means it was shot on film (and possibly even 16:9) it would be an added plus for the DVD. I really hate watching that many hours of 4:3 and worrying about screen burn in while I listen to the music and watch the show. Just hoping it refers to a film original, but I don't know the equipment.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I am an avid Dead fan too. It will most likely be 4:3 as are their other dvds. They recorded their concerts for vhs tape sales and for standard TV playback, not for videophiles.

2" Quad is pretty old video tape technology, as opposed to film technology, that led up to cassette video recording.

"In order to record the full TV signal bandwidth of around 5MHz, a head to tape speed equivalent to 1500" per second is required. This relative writing speed can be achieved by the tape running at 15ips past a drum containg four heads, placed at 90° intervals, rotating at 15000rpm (14,400rpm in the USA). The four head arrangement gave rise to the format's name - Quadruplex."

"The first Doctor Who story to be recorded using Quad tape was the pilot episode version of "An Unearthly Child". Episode 3 of "The Enemy of the World" was the first to be recorded on 625 lines and may well have been the first episode to be edited electronically (as opposed to physically) - although this is by no means certain. "Doctor Who and the Silurians" was the first story to be recorded and edited on video tape in colour. The last Doctor Who story to be recorded on 2" Quad tape was "The Five Doctors". In total the active working life of the Quad format was around 27 years - a record that is unlikely to be matched by any subsequent broadcast format."

Source

·
Premium Member
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Russ, I didn't know the reference was to video tape (which is why I asked). I think that you are right, it likely means 4:3 like the other DVD's from them. I still wish they would release a DVD copy of "The Grateful Dead Movie" from '73(??). I have video tape of that one and it is a widesceen version letterboxed for the screen.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
That would be nice. That is the only video recorded Dead concert (1974) footage made for theater release.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Regardless of the video, I can tell you that the sound quality should be amazing. I have heard the multi-track reels and they are phenomenal.

·
Registered
62 Posts
2" Quad is definitley video tape in reel to reel format. The tape is 2 inches wide hence the name. It is also 4:3 format not letterboxed. This is a very old format which was later replaced by the 1" format. I am a video editor and have not seen a 2" Quad reel or a machine that will play one in about 12 years. I'm sure they had to transfer footage. It would not be smart to edit from the orginal 2" due to it's age and also the big problem of finding a decent player.

Derrick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.