AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had a good picture at about 8 feet (at least for an S-video connection on a standard DVD player), watched the MAtrix then started Idaho Transfer and about halfway through the picture went loopy. I put the crosshair test pattern up and the horizontal had a big bubble in the line where it went up like a big hill. About then, the fan started to speed up and I whiffed a very light electrical heat smell so I pulled the plug.

I checked for visible damage, smell etc. and found nothing so I fired it back up and it worked for a bit, the fan sped up and I shut it down and went to sleep.

This morning, I thought I would fire it up test with the internal test pattern only and when it came on the tubes were blinking instead of steady when they came on and I shut it down.

I guess I halfway thought it was too good to be true anyway- free, low hours, had sat a long time and no one really knew much about it, but it was worth a try. Anybody have any ideas on what may possibly be wrong?

~Tofu2

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It looks SOOO good and truly theatre like when it runs.

Does anyone know where a repair manual\\schematic would be?

I am pretty sure it is in the board in the front under the lenses. When it flashes I can spray cold air across the componants and it works. Nothing is visibly frying, and I think I have to remove the entire bottom to get to this board (any advice appreciated) so I am only looking through holes. It almost acts like a power supply problem. These things don't have outragous power requirements, do they? I am just using a 3 prong computer power supply cord.

Thank you much for any and all help, advice, or sympathy :)

~Tofu2

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
Is there an error code other than '00' on the LED display?

Sounds like the power suply might have gone bad...

Curt

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope. It's 00

I can hear a componant emit a high pitched whine somewhere under the Green\\Blue Lense area when I get my ear down there. Am I correct in assuming the power supply is in this area?

Thanks!

~tofu2

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Your ps is dead or dying. Thats my guess, anyway.

I've had one go on me, and it was a cascading failure which took quite a few board level components in the ps. Luckily I had a good tech in town who was able to trace all the damaged components by checking them against a working power supply.

It didn't show any error codes either. Look at the components on the first daughter board in from where the power goes in. I'm NOT a tech, but I watched him diagnose and fix it and the damaged components were on the first daughter board in from where the power goes in.

Not likely much help, but you never know.

PS: The ps pulls out in one piece when you take enough retaining screws out, you can easily swap in another ps if you have one to see if thats the problem.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
How come so few people put their location in their profile? Are they scared someone nearby may be able to help?

Marc

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Its easy to get swept up in the media fueled paranoia.

Marc: You don't have a spare burned tube PG Plus chassis do you ?

What bout a ps for the poor boy who started this post ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just added my location! :) Thanks Clarence for helping out a Newbie.

I am located in Boise, Idaho.

If no one has a power supply, how about a schematic, voltage outputs by pin or other help?

Of course, if there is a really awesome tech in the area I would like to contact them and get an estimate :)

Thanks!

Tofu2

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
I actually DO have a spare burned tube PGplus chassis. Trouble is: It's not worth the work for me to ship it.

Marc

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've only had it a few days. It came from a school district that wanted to get rid of it. It had very little history with it, although they thought a major corporation had donated it. After I cracked the password (simple reverse middle- 0852) I was able to see it claimed less than 500 hours on the projector. It was tested briefly with a laptop, it came on and then wasn't used until I got it home and the holidays were over. I then plugged a s-video cord from a DVD player in and set it up temporarily with a slide projector screen while dreaming of converting a room in my house to dedicated viewing.

In the middle of the second DVD the picture went crazy and I heard the fan speed up. I shut it down. Upon restart, thinking maybe it was an input problem I used the built in test crosshair and the rest I've put above.

I would like to fix it, however, I do have some concern about what I am getting into. I haven't had it long enough to say much except it is low hours and the picture was really fun to watch for the 2 or 3 hours it lasted.

Thanks WanMan and Tinman, would you have any interest in only shipping the Power Supply?

Thanks everyone!

~Tofu2

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
You can find them by just posting here.

I am currently not parting out any units, and don't have a spare powersupply at this time. So Curt or Doug are probably your best bet.

Marc

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I do have one spare supply, but it's not cheap, sorry, they're really hard to find.

Email me below.

Thanks!

Curt

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.