AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings. I've just begun work on my dedicated HT (13.5 X 18.5 X 9) upstairs over the garage in my new home. I'm a real DIYer, but professionals are doing the electrical work. Here's my question, once the Lutron GE is installed, can I put 22oz velvet curtians over it and have it still receive the signal from my Pronto? In other words, can I "hide" the GE behind curtains. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I would experiment before closing off any other options. That said, I doubt you will have any issues. The pronto sends out a pretty strong signal. I performed some testing and found that I can control most all of my equipt. from the opposite side of the couch (through the couch). My GE will be behind me and I should have no problem getting the signal back without having to point it backwards.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
There's a difference between hiding it from the IR signal and bouncing the IR signal. For IR to work, there has to be some line of sight...whether it's direct (at the front of the room) or reflected (at the back of the room). Putting the GE behind curtains WILL cause problems. 22oz velvet is pretty heavy/thick. If you can't see any light through it then the light from an IR remote wypically wont pass either. The only way it would not is if the IR signal had a path to get to the sensor on the GE. For instance, the GE is close to the edge of the curtain. You may get lucky and the signal find its way in. If this is the case, I sould definately experiment before I closed up the walls. You could always add a wire from the GE to a convenient location so that you could add an IR sensor if need be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.