Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi group,

I have a GE Imager 300 (aka NEC DP-1200) projector that has an annoying intermitant problem. It seems to be about a half hour into watching it the vertical hold seems to flip out on it. It starts out with the picture just fluttering up and down just a little bit and then the next stage the picture stretches in hieght to the point it rolls over onto itself (the scan lines are spaced apart and stacked on top of each other). The the picture starts rolling as if you had an older tv with a vertical hold knob on it and turned it out of wack. Then it reverses cycles back to a normal picture. The convergence seems to go out at the same time because when the picture finally comes back into one the convergence is basically set to default for a few seconds and then it pops into place. The whole cycle can take up to 15 minutes or more.

This projector has a history of doing strange things for a while and then comming out of them. For a while the thing popped and sounded like an arc sound, the picture would blank out when this happened. It would do this at random times, there seemed to be no patern to it. I always suspected power supply problems but could never tell for sure as it never would do it while I had it off the celing and opened up. That problem went away eventually but I don't know if the two are related.

Does anyone have any ideas on where to look for this problem?

Eric

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
This does sounds like a power supply problem. Frankkly, I would see if you can find another chassis that works rather than trying to fix this one.

I happen to have one, and I've been looking for a remote for months and cannot get one. I assume you have one.

$500.00 would get it to a trucking depot near you including shipping. THe tubes and chassis are in good working shape, and then you would have 100% parts redundancy.

Curt

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Curt,

Thanks for reply. I was going to email you direct but thought I would try the forum first. I knew at one time you said you had some of the DP-1200 chassis with bad tubes, however this working unit may be a better way to go. I would like an honest opinion from you and anybody else. I was going to try to make this thing limp along for a little while until I could afford to replace it with one of the reconditioned ones that you sell. Is this a good projector when it is working properly compared to others that you sell in the $1000 to $1500 range? I don't need anything too fancy, I just want somthing that throws a good sharp picture. I have the switcher unit for this projector and right now have a DVD player and DirecTV hooked to via normal composit video input. The picture seems softer than I would like. Is there any way to take the S-Video or component video and convert them to RGB? I am guessing this is what the line doublers do but I don't know for sure. I guess my main question is can I make the DP-1200 give me a crisp picture by itself or with line doublers or whatever or am I better off spending a little more for something different?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Eric,

You could use a VU1210 controller/switcher to convert the s-video to rgb or use a doubler. Composite video isnt the way to get good video.

You are limited on what you can do with this but probably the best solution right now for you is to use a doubler. The projector is getting pretty old, if it fails you can use the doubler later, the VU1210 you probably wouldnt use on a different projector because of its limits.

A good cleaning inside the projector could help a lot, use a canned air to blow out and a new paint brush to clean around the high voltage parts looking for black soot and dust.

Parts are hard to find for this model, if you plan to keep it you might take Curt up on the chassis, if it fails sell Curt the remote.

Note: The DP series had different generations, the 1200A, 1200S, 5200, some of the parts dont interchange, the system, t-gen and d-convergence board need to match. If you loose remote function and wont turn on with a stand-by light, its the F6501 (ac48v 5a) in the power supply. Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Doug,

My video switcher unit has only composit and RGB inputs on it, no S-Video. An older model unit? My projector is the 1200a version. (actually its a GE Imager 300, if I heard right the GE Imager 310 was the 1200s model) Right now I'm leaning towards trying to limp this thing along until I can afford to replace it. I was hoping to be able to fix it cheep so I can use it for a few more months and then be able to sell it to help fund the replacement.

One more little detail that my help diagnose the problem that I forgot to share earlier. Back when it was making the popping sounds, I had it hung up on the celing and had the covers off. One night it started the popping sound and after a few seconds of doing that it spit out a peice of burning ash. (cool huh!) I assume that an electrolytic capacitor blew and the ash was the paper insulation. Ever since then it has rarely, maybe never made that noise. I was working great for a while after that. I had it off the celing and tore it all apart looking for where the 'fire' came from, the only part I didn't open up was the power supply. I may pull it off the celing again and open up the PS to see if there is anything obvious.

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Eric,

I think that ash you saw was a moth or something simular, good bug zapper with the cover off if it hits the right spot. The VU-1210S has a s-video input, not the projector. I might have one of these around somewhere. Doug

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Doug,

Could have been a moth, I don't know. Only reason I though it was a part from inside was the popping noise seemed to stop after that. Its as if the part that was arcing finally let go.

What I ment is I think my video switcher is an older unit (non 's'?) There are only RGB and composit inputs on the switcher. The manual I have shows the switcher with s-video inputs and more buttons on the front, however mine is different. Would the newer 'S' model switcher work with my non S projector? If you have one, what would you want for it? I'm still tossing arround the idea of throwing it on ebay in 'sort of working' condition and then getting something a little newer and better. Maybe Curt would take it on trade so he could get the remotes. ;)

Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.