AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a surplus GE Imager (video only, huge square box), and I'm trying to get it converged. However, I cannot get the red, green, and blue to line up, unless the projector is quite a ways away from the screen!! What I really need is a left-to-right mechanical lens alignment, but this projector does not seem to have that!

Am I missing something, or did some older projectors not have this?

Thanks

- David

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
I believe this is a 1985 vintage Zenith PV 800. No, there's almost no adjustment for this beast at all.

Got a pix of it to make sure I'm talking about the same unit?

Curt

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, Curt, no digital cameras for me. I've spent all my money on projectors! :)

It's big and grey.. the whole bottom is a stamped metal "screen", the top is a big piece of mdf (compressed wood). It has a metal grille that goes all the way around the sides and back of the unit, a few inches down from the top. There is a piece of plastic that screws to the front that covers what parts of the lenses would be exposed.

The tubes are Zenith, so I would have no trouble believing it's a Zenith. The model number is PSC6110, if that helps any.

I've found that it has a relatively small amount of adjustment, through a few pots on the center board (right behind the CRT necks), however, it's not enough to make it fully converge, even at a large distance.

If these didn't have any mechanical lens aiming, what were you supposed to do?

Also, Curt, if you have ANY info on the setup procedures for this, I'd be interested... I don't have any manuals, and haven't found any places that do... Other than knowing what board controls the centering, I have no idea what anything does.

Thanks

- David

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
Hah! I just gave one of those away! There should be a series of holes on the bracket that holds the crt's. They move as a whole. You can see them near the front with the top off.

Marc

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Marc- I'm not quite sure what you're referring to?

I have the top off, there appears to be a single large metal plate that have the lenses screwed on from one side, the CRTs from the other....

- David

·
Registered
8 Posts
I also have a GE IMAGER PSC6110/ Clone to a Zenith PV800.

I have the manuals (both setup and user) if you are interested, I can fax them to you. Yes it is a dinasour! i just purchased it via e-bay. I am also looking for a setup remote (wired) if you have one for rent or sale or know someone who does. Any help you have would be great as I am trying to converge.

Chris
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
17,073 Posts
Quote:
If these didn't have any mechanical lens aiming, what were you supposed to do?
Were these designed to be setup only at a fixed distance?

When I first got my VPH1271, I was testing it in a small room, but it was set up too close to the wall and I kept maxing out the R/B convergence before I got the crosshairs on top of G. I didn't want to change the CRT spacers, so I just slid the projector back until it was converged.

What's the projected area and throw distance when you pull it back to where it's converged?

WD40, I should've bought a handful of those $19 digicams so I could send you an early holiday gift.

-Clarence

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow! Talk about digging up old threads!

Guys, here's the updates:

The PV800 does *NOT* have any mechanical lens aiming. It was designed for a very small range of setup distances, and the convergence could be adjusted by making the rasters small and shifting them around a lot on the tube faces. A very poor way to do it, as you have to make the rasters small, but it does work, I suppose.

We tried setting it up at it's closest point at which it could normally converge. The picture was probably in the 180-200" range (yes, 15+ FOOT diagonal). The projector was about 8 feet behind the couch by that point, and the picture was larger than our wall!!

Through some great help by the wonderful guy who runs www.freebrd.com ( www.crtinfo.us.vu ), I was able to trace the Zenith PV800 to several other obscure projectors (Provision 3000? Ultravision 2000?). He basically sent me all the oddball manuals, and I dug through them until I found close matches. Above and beyond for service. So I buy all my manuals from him now! :D

Through this, I was able to obtain a partial setup manual. There are still some unknowns, but it was VERY helpful in the setup!

I also have done some homebrew modifications. Let me say that I probably have the ONLY PV800 in existance that has mechanical lens aiming. :D

Chris- I would love to have a copy of your manuals. Mine are barely complete enough, but I still have a few small issues (horizontal keystone issues introduced by my lens aiming) that I cannot solve.

I plan on making a website about my modifications sometime. If you're looking for that information, I can work on it a little sooner.

As for the end results:

It is now set up at school, running a 73" diagonal, with FULL RASTER USEAGE. The picture is nothing like a Marquee or anything, but it blows the doors off of a standard TV, and I'd MUCH rather watch it than just about any digital projector. It's nice and bright, no scaling artifacts, and when in anamorphic widescreen mode (another mod I plan on writing about), it has more resolution than a digital PJ as well! It really does put out a good picture.

We use it as a full time TV. Even during the daytime. It's that bright.

Having *PERFECT* tubes helps though. ;)

But yeah, Chris, stick it out and get it converged. They're worth the time!

Clarence- if you ever see those cameras again, let me know! My sister has a very nice Canon A70 that I can borrow, but I'd like to have a cheapie to kick around with.

- David

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's a picture of the finished product.

·
Premium Member
17,073 Posts
Hi David-

I didn't even notice this was an old thread (from the week before I joined! 1500 posts ago [only ~3 useful ones]) revived by pfssdtc's search.

Glad to hear it was modded into something functional and given a new life.

I'll keep an eye on cheap cameras. You guys would freak if you saw my 5 year old running around every day with my "old" 3MP digicam. It had just been sitting on a shelf unused for a year after I upgraded to a 4MP. He saw it, asked, I instinctively said no, but then said sure, why not, get some good use out of it. He loves it - keeps it on 15 second movie mode most the time. He records some funny stuff.

-Clarence

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.