AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have tried making a linux HTPC before but have not been completely sucessful. The problem has always been I would be at about 85-90% functional but my primary use is as a OTA PVR and that is also where I had the hardest time. I always reverted back to a XP & Sage (and more recently VMC) install that I could just run and everything would work. Maybe not work quite as well as one would like, but it would at least be functional.

Ok--so on to my build and requirements. I actually have 2 HTPCs to use right now. A newer dual core Intel and an older dual core opteron. For right now I think I will be using the Opteron box for the HTPC. It has a Geforce 8500GT in it. I have an Aver 180 card and a Pinnacle HDTV Stick I can use. Both of those give me multipath issues at my location--which have been solved with a Aver PCIe card. For now though, this will be my test/learning box and would like to eventually install Linux on the other machine.

What I want to do with the HTPC:

Record and Play OTA HD 80%

Play CDs 5%

Play DVDs 2%

Play my collection of FLAC files 13%

Functions I hope to have (or wish to have)

Use my bluetooth Keyboard/Mouse

Use a Remote Control

And the trickiest part (I think):

I would like to use the computer as a fully adjustable parametric EQ for all audio going out of the computer--preferably out the analog outs but if digital outs are easier I can do that. I have a WII connected to inputs I would also like to apply these filters too--is that possible as well?

Ok--my linux knowledge level is pretty minimum. I have used it on and off the past 10 years or so. I can usually get my way around but usually need pretty specific directions (and have gotten pretty good at spending hours searching the internet for such directions)

Which Distro? I have used Ubuntu the most. I have it installed on 5 of the computers I am responsible for maintaining at the school I work at. I have a dual boot here on the computer I am working on. I tried installing mythbuntu but really didn't like how it made Myth seem the primary function and the OS as secondary. I prefer to have an application that I just load--more like MCE or Sage. I was leaning towards Kbuntu just because I have heard a few recommendations for it, I like trying something new, and it sounds like there is excellent documentation.

Suggestions?

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
I suggest Kubuntu Hardy. I've run Intrepid for several months on my HTPC, but KDE4 is just too limited for me so I'm about to reinstall Hardy. And no question it should be Kubuntu.

You'll be fine with Myth and recording HD OTA; I do it every day.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Just because you load Myhbuntu doesn't mean you have to have the frontend come up by default. Just change the startup so it doesn't run automatically. You can boot to either a desktop or even a command line without X.

·
Registered
47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumstate /forum/post/15472445

I suggest Kubuntu Hardy. I've run Intrepid for several months on my HTPC, but KDE4 is just too limited for me so I'm about to reinstall Hardy. And no question it should be Kubuntu.

You'll be fine with Myth and recording HD OTA; I do it every day.

Can I ask what makes Kubuntu better? Not being a smartass, just curious. I have Ubuntu now, and it seems pretty good. What am I missing?

·
Registered
236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamF16 /forum/post/15480767

Can I ask what makes Kubuntu better? Not being a smartass, just curious. I have Ubuntu now, and it seems pretty good. What am I missing?

The guy likes KDE. That's pretty much it--just my guess.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamF16 /forum/post/15480767

If you aren't the sort who likes to tweak a lot then you really aren't missing all that much. In the end you'll probably use whatever apps suit your purpose the best whether they are QT or GTK based.

·
Banned
1,686 Posts
True, I do like KDE. I used Gnome when I first started, but as I learned more I found it is too limited, like Vista. KDE is more object-oriented; humans have evolved to interact with objects. You right-click on just about anything and you can change its properties or perform other relevant operations. Much more depth here than with Gnome.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts