AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 217 Posts

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has got me psyched! Gears was my all-time favorite series (sorry, Halo, Mass Effect, etc.). I spent countless hours playing horde mode. Heck, I still remember playing with Mboojigga and his wife and kids. :p

http://www.polygon.com/2015/4/24/8490745/gears-of-war-xbox-one-anniversary-remake

Microsoft and Black Tusk Studios are developing a remastered version of the original Gears of War for Xbox One, sources tell Polygon.

The re-release of Gears of War for Xbox One will include updated visuals and reworked cutscenes, courtesy of animation studio Plastic Wax, according to a source. Stills of Gears of War's remade opening cinematic were shown to Polygon, offering a new look at the Locust invasion with updated visuals.

Update: According to another source, Brink and Dirty Bomb developer Splash Damage is working on the Xbox One remaster of Gears of War. The U.K.-based studio has several job listings that say it's working on a "very well known and highly popular AAA title with next gen technology." We've reached out to Splash Damage for comment.

Update 2: We've seen some multiplayer screenshots of the Gears of War remaster, and it appears that the Xbox One game features improved lighting and increased texture quality. We're told that the multiplayer runs at 60 frames per second.

http://kotaku.com/report-gears-of-war-remaster-coming-to-xbox-one-1700059889

Today, a number of people across the country obtained access to a test build for “Gears of War” on the Xbox One, as shown in the screenshot above. Although we suspected it might be part of an as-of-yet-unannounced Gears collection including a number of games in the series, this may in fact just be a remaster of the first Gears of War game, if a new Polygon report is accurate.

We hear this Gears test build will go live tonight around 9pm Eastern, so we should know more then. Microsoft has yet to respond to Kotaku’s requests for comment.

UPDATE (9:10pm): It’s real. Three different people playing tonight’s test build tell us that it’s just the first Gears of War. This test build is multiplayer-only, featuring the following modes: Team Deathmatch; King of the Hill; 1 Life 1V1 Shotgun TDM; 1v1 Sudden Death Gnashers Only; 4v4 TDM Single Round; and 4v4 KOTH Single Round.

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
Man we still play on the the 360 lol. Now on to the Xbox One and record those sessions lol.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hoping it's not JUST the first one because the first one was so raw in terms of gameplay and very barebones as well. Lots of problems like knowing what you could stick to and what you couldn't stick to. In fact, some things were way too sticky and hard to disengage.

In terms of gameplay, I liked Gears of War 2 the most. Gears 3 was terrific with a lot of additions but some of my friends thought it was too much. Like there were only so many things you could do in a Gears 2 horde map and they liked that limitation. Figure out your initial strategy and stick to it. In Gears 3, with all the additions, gameplay was more complicated and you couldn't just wash, rinse, and repeat.

A trilogy would have me saying...

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I loved Gears 1 as much as everyone here but I'm not sure I'd buy this again just for the updated visuals but it was one great game.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I've been playing gears for a long time. I still play a lot of Gears 3 online TDM. With that said, I absolutely hated Judgement. Such a waste of money buying that game. They tried to do way too much with that game. They moved away from what Gears is all about and tried to make it too much like Halo and COD.

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
I played all the Gears games but the series never grabbed my attention like other franchises. I never particularly took to the characters, art style and very bland color palette. With each game, once I finished it, I felt very little desire to revisit it. A remaster of only one game would hold zero interest for me; a Master Chief Collection style compilation of all the games would be a little more interesting.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gears of Wars 2 was what got me into console gaming. I was a PC gamer previously.

I did get the OG Xbox (and didn't get one until the 360 gen actually already started) but only because it was so hackable with readily obtainable images. In fact, you could buy an OG Xbox with controller for $30-50. Then mod it and install a huge HDD. My main OG Xbox had a 500GB drive. My secondary OG Xbox had a 320GB HDD. I also had a PS2 for the same reason. Got my fat PS2 modded and burned a zillion games to discs.

But once I play Gears 2, I just had to have the 360. The way the controller rumbled while slamming bullets into the Locust. The brutality of the sounds, the ferocity of the Locust. If you look back at the time of the first couple of Gears games, no other shooting game had quite the same intensity. The Halo series was fantastic. But the guns and gameplay felt kind of sterile. Most shooters were like that. When I got my first headshot in Gears, I had a real OMG moment. When you get pounded by weaponry in most games, you just kind of die and that's it. Some vibration, the screen might turn red, etc. But you don't really felt the punishment of death like in Gears. Even games like COD, when you die, you just go "oh well" and hop right back into the fight. Sometimes you just get destroyed in Gears and it's as if you can feel the death.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Completely agree with the above sentiments. I have also been a "Gears head" since the first one came out. We had a group of about 20 people that played it non-stop for almost two years. We rarely ventured in to public, but had regular battles amongst each other, and forged friendships that have, and will last the rest of my life. I will be disappointed if this is just a re-make of Gears 1, and would rather see a compilation, such as MCC. Especially if they try to do a cash-grab and price point it at 60 for the one title...

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I'm not sure I'd pay full price for this (unless it was a collection of all the games), but I'd pick it up for $20. The original Gears of War is what made me run out to buy a 360 and really got me back into gaming after a lull at the end of the previous gen. My wife was out of town at the time, and I went to see a movie by myself. They had a trailer for Gears before the movie, and I was blown away. When my wife got back in town, she said "I thought the Xbox was black?" I was busted. :D

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I'm not sure I'd pay full price for this (unless it was a collection of all the games), but I'd pick it up for $20. The original Gears of War is what made me run out to buy a 360 and really got me back into gaming after a lull at the end of the previous gen. My wife was out of town at the time, and I went to see a movie by myself. They had a trailer for Gears before the movie, and I was blown away. When my wife got back in town, she said "I thought the Xbox was black?" I was busted. :D
I had a similar experience with Halo 2 and the original Xbox. Saw a trailer for it before a movie and thought, "Wow, games have come a long way." I didn't game at all throughout the 90's after growing up with Colecovision, Nintendo, and the Sega Master System in the 80's. But I ran out and got the Xbox and Halo 2 after that movie. It was a big adjustment trying to figure out the movement process (two thumbsticks?!?!) and all the extra buttons/triggers/bumpers. I haven't looked back since. :D

EDIT: Oh wait, I don't think the original Xbox controller had bumpers, did it? Still a lot of extra buttons and whatnot compared to game controllers from the 80's.

Reactions: tsaville

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
GOW1 was a complete rip off. Campaign was like 6hrs, 8? What a joke. No way I'd pay money for it a second time.

What is with all these remakes anyways? Can we have new games please?
GOW1 was far from a ripoff. I poured too many hours into that game than I'd care to admit. I'd definitely pay to play that again with updated graphics and the whole treatment. This is one remake I don't mind at all.

·
Registered
11,639 Posts
Gears of Wars 2 was what got me into console gaming. I was a PC gamer previously.

I did get the OG Xbox (and didn't get one until the 360 gen actually already started) but only because it was so hackable with readily obtainable images. In fact, you could buy an OG Xbox with controller for $30-50. Then mod it and install a huge HDD. My main OG Xbox had a 500GB drive. My secondary OG Xbox had a 320GB HDD. I also had a PS2 for the same reason. Got my fat PS2 modded and burned a zillion games to discs.

But once I play Gears 2, I just had to have the 360. The way the controller rumbled while slamming bullets into the Locust. The brutality of the sounds, the ferocity of the Locust. If you look back at the time of the first couple of Gears games, no other shooting game had quite the same intensity. The Halo series was fantastic. But the guns and gameplay felt kind of sterile. Most shooters were like that. When I got my first headshot in Gears, I had a real OMG moment. When you get pounded by weaponry in most games, you just kind of die and that's it. Some vibration, the screen might turn red, etc. But you don't really felt the punishment of death like in Gears. Even games like COD, when you die, you just go "oh well" and hop right back into the fight. Sometimes you just get destroyed in Gears and it's as if you can feel the death.

Ya, GoW got me back into console gaming too. Mostly it was Xbox live and the ease of getting in a party with friends, it was a million years ahead of PC in that regard.

Now I'm fully back on PC, and with the way gears plays it wouldn't really be an issue mixing m/kb and controller players, so I think it's a pretty good candidate for cross-play.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Completely agree with the above sentiments. I have also been a "Gears head" since the first one came out. We had a group of about 20 people that played it non-stop for almost two years. We rarely ventured in to public, but had regular battles amongst each other, and forged friendships that have, and will last the rest of my life. I will be disappointed if this is just a re-make of Gears 1, and would rather see a compilation, such as MCC. Especially if they try to do a cash-grab and price point it at 60 for the one title...
Totally agree, I gamed with the same few friends over he series. It would be nice to have a compilation to go back and revisit on the Xbox One. It might get a few of the stragglers in the group to move to the next gen so we can look at retiring the 360. I am hoping the next Halo installment will get them to finally move to the next gen.

·
Registered
973 Posts
GOW1 was a complete rip off. Campaign was like 6hrs, 8? What a joke. No way I'd pay money for it a second time.

What is with all these remakes anyways? Can we have new games please?
WHAT!!!
GOW1 was far from a ripoff. I poured too many hours into that game than I'd care to admit. I'd definitely pay to play that again with updated graphics and the whole treatment. This is one remake I don't mind at all.
I agree with you on this one. Gears 1 was the best online experiences I've ever had. Game looked great too for its time.

Reactions: kevin g.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I played Gears of War on the PC way back when. looked fantastic (though playing on a 23" monitor probably helped with that). It was weird with KBM though. Almost surreal how fast the game ran and how quickly you could whip around.

as for ripoffs, it depends on what they do. My opinions of remakes/remasters have changed because of Halo: The Master Chief Collection. That is what remakes/remasters should be. This should be the benchmark. Not only was it 4 games (and soon to be 5 with the free Halo 3 ODST DLC), it was all the DLC, redone cutscenes, online MP that never existed before (the original Halo never had online MP), upgraded graphics, etc. The overhaul in Halo 2 is far more extensive than the typical upgrade. All for a good price.

I look at the remasters out there that are almost phoned in. You look at Borderlands 2 with exactly the same cutscenes which look bad now. You look at Tomb Raider which is only one game with some graphical upgrades (though still amazing and beautiful) for the same $60. The Last of Us is basically the same. God of War too. Not saying these remasters were bad. But to get me to spend money again for it, you have to bring more to the table.

1 - 20 of 217 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.