AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I'm about to buy my first flat screen and the geek squad is recommending that i get it calibrated by them. They showed me two tv's side by side one calibrated and one not, and I honestly only saw a very slight difference. They're asking for almost 200 dollars. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
85 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr4t /forum/post/18142668

Hey I'm about to buy my first flat screen and the geek squad is recommending that i get it calibrated by them. They showed me two tv's side by side one calibrated and one not, and I honestly only saw a very slight difference. They're asking for almost 200 dollars. Is it worth it?

Read this

http://www.tweaktv.com/terry-s-tips/...libration.html

and this

http://www.tweaktv.com/the-kevin-mil...omparison.html

and this

http://consumerist.com/2008/11/best-...n-service.html

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1021933

this is a good thread for the why we calibrate part.

Preference versus reference. If you want it to be reference, you calibrate. If not ... why are you in a calibration forum telling people that calibration is not needed?

regards

·
Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearsbent /forum/post/18144603

It seems like a waste of money to me to get someone to alter your settings on a flat panel. Just take your remote and start experimenting.You can adjust your gamma, white balance, backlight intensity and colour temperate using your remote on the Bravia series. These controls are all you need to calibrate an LCD monitor for use in graphic work so it should be enough for calibration of an LCD panel for movie watching through the THX screen in T2.

Sure you can adjust all these things, but without colorimetry equipment or test patterns how do you know where to set these options? You'll be guessing blind, and I guarantee you'll be wrong.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr /forum/post/18147369

Here is what may happen with the Geek Squad. http://homecinemaguru.com/?p=430

unless there is more to that post all I see is two different grayscale runs.

They could be of the same set with the same settings as measured by two different probes.

Even the one that is off looks like someone took time to make sure it was flat, but when viewed with a different meter it's not on target.

·
Registered
4,411 Posts
Jeff took Pre readings with his meter(s) (post BB calibration) - Top Pic, then he calibrated it himself with the same meter(s) which the Bottom Pic shows.

Basic Pre / Post report most Calibrators do (though Jeff just posted the Grayscale).

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/18149041

unless there is more to that post all I see is two different grayscale runs.

They could be of the same set with the same settings as measured by two different probes.

Even the one that is off looks like someone took time to make sure it was flat, but when viewed with a different meter it's not on target.

I took both readings. One with Geek Squad and the other with my calibration. Both were with a PR-670 and are very accurate. I was there because the client was unhappy with a dim yellow picture. After I left he was happy.

Bad tools are a part of most failed calibrations and common.

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
2,032 Posts
You should find out the name and phone number of the Best Buy Calibrator you will get. Call Him or Her and ask questions. What will you do? What equipment do you have/use? How long have you been doing Calibrations? How many (your type of TV) of these sets have you calibrated? If you don't like the answers go elsewhere.

Not all best buy Calibrators are bad and not all are good. Same rule applies to private Calibrators equally. I have read so many Best Buy Calibrator bashing posts it gets a little hard to believe ALL and EVERY Best Buy Technician is a piece of crap and will ruin your set. These claims are simply incorrect and alarmist group think.

At the risk of inviting a flame attack, folks have bashed Best buy Calibrations so heavily and relentlessly that one must begin to suspect a vested interest exists in disparaging the skills and talent of their competition, in this case Best Buy. In fact they don't want you going to Best Buy and paying 50-70% less to get your set calibrated.

I used a Best Buy Calibrator. He did a superb job and spent four hours with me and my set. He also offered a full refund if I was not completely satisfied with the end result. So here is one story of where Best Buy did a fine job.

I am not associated with any manufacturer, retail store or chain, or Calibration service provider. I wonder how many of the folks who are throwing stones can say the same?

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) /forum/post/18149396

You should find out the name and phone number of the Best Buy Calibrator you will get. Call Him or Her and ask questions. What will you do? What equipment do you have/use? How long have you been doing Calibrations? How many (your type of TV) of these sets have you calibrated? If you don't like the answers go elsewhere.

Not all best buy Calibrators are bad and not all are good. Same rule applies to private Calibrators equally. I have read so many Best Buy Calibrator bashing posts it gets a little hard to believe ALL and EVERY Best Buy Technician is a piece of crap and will ruin your set. These claims are simply incorrect and alarmist group think.

At the risk of inviting a flame attack, folks have bashed Best buy Calibrations so heavily and relentlessly that one must begin to suspect a vested interest exists in disparaging the skills and talent of their competition, in this case Best Buy. In fact they don't want you going to Best Buy and paying 50-70% less to get your set calibrated.

I used a Best Buy Calibrator. He did a superb job and spent four hours with me and my set. He also offered a full refund if I was not completely satisfied with the end result. So here is one story of where Best Buy did a fine job.

I am not associated with any manufacturer, retail store or chain, or Calibration service provider. I wonder how many of the folks who are throwing stones can say the same?

I agree not all may be bad, but I have never seen a good one.

You may be wrong about the quality of your setup. I would be willing to drop by and see if it is as good as you say if you are near my travel route. Drop me a PM if you want to explore this further.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr /forum/post/18149273

I took both readings. One with Geek Squad and the other with my calibration. Both were with a PR-670 and are very accurate. I was there because the client was unhappy with a dim yellow picture. After I left he was happy.

Bad tools are a part of most failed calibrations and common.

I guess that was what I was saying. The first calibration may not have been bad for a lack of effort or knowledge. It looked like all three primaries were ruler flat, just not at the correct levels.

So without the information about which meters created those calibrations you couldn't know wich was off and wich was on.

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotti /forum/post/18150679

I guess that was what I was saying. The first calibration may not have been bad for a lack of effort or knowledge. It looked like all three primaries were ruler flat, just not at the correct levels.

So without the information about which meters created those calibrations you couldn't know wich was off and wich was on.

I know mine is correct. A PR-670 in calibration is correct. I also carry two other spectrophotometers to cross check with and a D65 professional monitor.

·
Registered
7,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr /forum/post/18150914

I know mine is correct. A PR-670 in calibration is correct. I also carry two other spectrophotometers to cross check with and a D65 professional monitor.

I don't doubt you.

Just without that context those two grey scale runs just look like two people that knew what they were doing, but their hardware didn't agree.

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
2,032 Posts
umr,

You just could not resist the urge to yet toss another Stone. Since you have never seen a good one, are we to gather from that, that they are all bad since you have yet to see a good one? Gezz you are one condescending person. In one breath you agree "not all may be bad" and then in the same breath take it back.

So exactly how many BB Calibrations have you seen? And the obvious question; since I note (Your signature calibration advertisement) you perform and/or sell calibration services, would it not be in your own personal best interest to disparage the competition? Sir, in this regard I suggest you might have a self serving bias.

IMHO all you are serving to do is here is make people even more tentative in believing and embracing the merits of having their set calibrated. I am a firm believer of calibration. What I remain susceptible about is the value difference between BB and a Private calibrator. You are making this service sound like snake oil sales and trickery. That BB will ALWAYS provide an inferior level of service and performance. If Best Buy is willing to stake it's BILLION dollar business reputation doing this service, or dis-service as you contend. Then are we to believe a Mom and Pop Shop (Less than a Billion) will not?

I take you up on you offer to come take a look. PM sent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr /forum/post/18149589

I agree not all may be bad, but I have never seen a good one.

You may be wrong about the quality of your setup. I would be willing to drop by and see if it is as good as you say if you are near my travel route. Drop me a PM if you want to explore this further.

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts
Sir,

About 20% of my work is rework of others. I would guess I have seen about 20 BB calibrations around the country. I am not saying all other attempts are failures just a high percentage. The poor calibrations are not all from BB either. I have also seen many cases where people thought a job was correct and they were wrong. I will drop by when I get the chance and we will see if you are right or not about your sample.

That example I posted was a case where I was told BB sent their best person in the region to so the job.

I do believe many calibrations are a waste of money. I only work

on products for example where the improvement can be had.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) /forum/post/18149396

Of course there is a possibility that there are lots of good / great BB calibrators. UMR wouldn't see their TV's as they wouldn't call someone out there to fix their TV if it is calibrated perfectly.

Now with that said do you care to enlighten me how I order a calibration from BB by a GOOD calibrator? If BB knew how to figure it out they would charge a 50% markup for a great calibration vs a standard calibration

The point is that you don't know what you get so why buy it? There are several threads on this forum discussing good calibrators, reports from users that used them etc. I would rather spend 20% more and know that I am getting a quality product vs hoping that I win the BB calibration lottery

·
Premium Member
10,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab /forum/post/18153130

Of course there is a possibility that there are lots of good / great BB calibrators. UMR wouldn't see their TV's as they wouldn't call someone out there to fix their TV if it is calibrated perfectly.

That is actually not always the case. Many of the displays I rework are part of my audio business. People will contact me about audio and then find that their display is wrong after I see it. Others will contact me just to find out if I can do a better job. Below is a link to a review from a client who went with a local independent in SF Bay area and then had me drop by out of curiosity. Knowing what one person would do verses another would require hiring both.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post17618524 .

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
2,032 Posts
mhdiab,

You call and talk directly to your calibrator before he comes out. As I mentioned in my entry post. You conduct a phone interview with the Technician. Same thing you would do if hiring the Private guy!

You mention you are willing to pay 20% more to get the job done right. BB offers calibration service for $199.00 This is more like 50% less than many of the private quotes I received, and more than 50% for some. Most Private Guys charge $400 plus travel, plus this, plus that. So were not merely talking about 20% price difference here.

BB can offer this service at this price due to volume, much like Wal Mart does. In my case, The BB guy went to the same training and used the same gear, the Private Calibrators were going to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab /forum/post/18153130

Now with that said do you care to enlighten me how I order a calibration from BB by a GOOD calibrator? If BB knew how to figure it out they would charge a 50% markup for a great calibration vs a standard calibration

The point is that you don't know what you get so why buy it? There are several threads on this forum discussing good calibrators, reports from users that used them etc. I would rather spend 20% more and know that I am getting a quality product vs hoping that I win the BB calibration lottery

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umr /forum/post/18153625

That is actually not always the case. Many of the displays I rework are part of my audio business. People will contact me about audio and then find that their display is wrong after I see it. Others will contact me just to find out if I can do a better job. Below is a link to a review from a client who went with a local independent in SF Bay area and then had me drop by out of curiosity. Knowing what one person would do verses another would require hiring both.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post17618524 .

I know - I was trying to throw him a bone

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamg (Ret-Navy) /forum/post/18153763

mhdiab,

You call and talk directly to your calibrator before he comes out. As I mentioned in my entry post. You conduct a phone interview with the Technician. Same thing you would do if hiring the Private guy!

You mention you are willing to pay 20% more to get the job done right. BB offers calibration service for $199.00 This is more like 50% less than many of the private quotes I received, and more than 50% for some. Most Private Guys charge $400 plus travel, plus this, plus that. So were not merely talking about 20% price difference here.

BB can offer this service at this price due to volume, much like Wal Mart does. In my case, The BB guy went to the same training and used the same gear, the Private Calibrators were going to use.

OK so I would have paid 50% more or not gotten it at all. Good luck especially with those phone interviews. That is normally what I do with restaurants too -- I call them and ask - "hey do you serve good food" if they say yes then I go there to eat. I ignore any kind of online reviews and thoughts by others. I have also found that McDonalds serves the best food as they can sell it to me much cheaper than most other restaurants

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.