AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Quit fartin' around. Go talk to an attorney. Have him/her send a letter to BB and watch how fast they bend over for you. ;)

Reactions: HeisenbergABQ

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Quit fartin' around. Go talk to an attorney. Have him/her send a letter to BB and watch how fast they bend over for you. ;)
Hopefully it doesn't come to that. I called the Geek squad agent who actually came to my house, and he has been very helpful, the corporate Geek squad people he reports to, not so much. He emailed me and said he'd go through the Sony triage and that they'll likely issue an RA, for which I'll likely receive store credit since the Z9F is gone and there's no chance in hell they'll give me a Z9G to replace it. The most frustrating thing about this is that I would have returned it to Best buy from the get go, but I couldn't because they closed due to the corona virus. They did extend their return policy because of this, but they weren't offering in home services during this time, so I couldn't have them come and pick it up, and neither I nor any of my friends own a vehicle that could transport a 75" TV.

Reactions: Squirrel!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Very doubtful
They are the largest electronics retailer in the country and probably Samsung, Sonys and LGs biggest customer

Except Costco doesn't have nearly the selection of electronics...especially on the higher end side of things
Think about it.. Costco would have never even carried a TV this high end
Then some of us want to actually see, feel touch the item before we buy it....so showrooms are beautiful thing

The Best Buy I went to insisted that I wasn't allowed to change any settings on the TV. I was wanting to look through the menu's and see how each picture mode looked but they made me feel very uncomfortable.
This has been my experience as well. I was originally going to buy an 82" Q90R, but I wanted to run a local dimming test on YouTube to check for blooming and vignetting, but they wouldn't let me play anything other than the demo loop they had going, no sale.

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is all I could find from Sony

You may be seeing one or more of the greater than 2,000,000 dots (also known as pixels) that make up the composition of the LCD or OLED screens. These dots may appear red, green, blue, white, or black.

High-precision technology is used to manufacture LCD and OLED displays to maintain a high standard of operation. However, with all LCD/OLED screens, regardless of manufacturer, there may be a small number of dots that do not change color. This is normal operation for all LCD and OLED screens from all manufacturers. Most defects are noticeable only when an all-white or all-black picture shows. They shouldn't be noticeable under normal operation.

Because a defective pixel or pixels is normal on all LCD or OLED screens, there's a high chance that a replacement screen may also have them. It could have more defective pixels or the pixels may appear in a more noticeable position than on the one it replaced.

Note:

Debris on the screen can appear as dead or defective pixels. Clean the screen thoroughly with a soft, dry cloth to confirm whether or not the issue is actually a defective pixel or due to just dirt or debris.

Sometimes dead or defective pixels correct themselves over time.

But again, BB's warranty states that they do cover 3 or more defective pixels, and during the manufacturers warranty period, if the manufacturer will not cover the issue.
I have heard this before, and this makes me not want to spend a lot of money on a TV. To me, it is almost criminal, for lack of a better term. If you are spending thousands on a TV, it **** well better be of absolute perfection. Period. End of story, or do not sell it, or make your retailers ready to swap out units for people. This is absolutely not fair to the customer in the end. But of course, the manufacturer does not care. They are laughing all the way to the bank with your money, and their warrantybis not worth the paper its printed on. Yet, people are dumb enough to keep buying this stuff. This all needs to be exposed more obviously than just in an owners manual that people do not read much of the time. **WARNING: YOUR NEW TV MIGHT BE JUNK BEFORE YOU TURN IT ON THE FIRST TIME**

They should be ashamed of themselves, in my opinion, and should not be allowed to sell the products.

However, this is America, and we are free to buy whatever we want.

Rant over. Sorry if I sound out of line, or petty, or anything else. I just expect perfection when I am goint to part with my hard earned money.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hopefully it doesn't come to that. I called the Geek squad agent who actually came to my house, and he has been very helpful, the corporate Geek squad people he reports to, not so much. He emailed me and said he'd go through the Sony triage and that they'll likely issue an RA, for which I'll likely receive store credit since the Z9F is gone and there's no chance in hell they'll give me a Z9G to replace it. The most frustrating thing about this is that I would have returned it to Best buy from the get go, but I couldn't because they closed due to the corona virus. They did extend their return policy because of this, but they weren't offering in home services during this time, so I couldn't have them come and pick it up, and neither I nor any of my friends own a vehicle that could transport a 75" TV.
Rent a U-Haul van for $30-$40, and haul it that way. Thats what I had to do once.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
This has been my experience as well. I was originally going to buy an 82" Q90R, but I wanted to run a local dimming test on YouTube to check for blooming and vignetting, but they wouldn't let me play anything other than the demo loop they had going, no sale.
Interesting...I have had no issue with Best Buy/Magnolia letting me adjust the Tv's I was interested in

I am curious...what store did you go into that has the Samsung Q90R on display that allowed you to play with the settings?

Warren

Reactions: sheshechic

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Most law firms would charges you hundreds of dollars to do that..FYI

Clearly..No one knew Corona Virus was coming...but I cant imagine they woud not accommodated you in some if you were anywhere close to the return policy period

On another note...Menards..Lowes..Home Depot have 45 minute pick up truck rental for about $20.00

Warren

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Most law firms would charges you hundreds of dollars to do that..FYI

Warren
You'd be surprised just how inexpensive it really is to send a letter. Been there, done that. Anything more, of course, and the bill goes up exponentially.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You'd be surprised just how inexpensive it really is to send a letter. Been there, done that. Anything more, of course, and the bill goes up exponentially.
The Geek squad agent just called me and said the Sony triage site they are required to use is down, and Sony isn't responding to his help tickets. I've now sent an email to Sony asking them if they would send me an RA# instead of the TV, or just give my money back, I'm willing to lose the money I spent on the Geek squad warranty just to be done with it at this point. If that doesn't work, I guess it's lawyer time.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The Geek squad agent just called me and said the Sony triage site they are required to use is down, and Sony isn't responding to his help tickets. I've now sent an email to Sony asking them if they would send me an RA# instead of the TV, or just give my money back, I'm willing to lose the money I spent on the Geek squad warranty just to be done with it at this point. If that doesn't work, I guess it's lawyer time.
I might be wrong but I think BB should reimburse the cost of the plan since you never used it. Do not let them win, keep fighting for what you paid.

·
Registered
18,522 Posts
Send a certified letter (snail mail) to the president of Sony and Best Buy (I'm sure you can find their names on the internet), that is sure to get some kind of response. They both have corporate PR depts, they will most likely get back to you in no time. This almost always works.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sony will fight you tooth and nail and drag it out for as long as they possibly can and then just leave you hanging. That's what they did with me and my X950G. Finally sold it at a huge loss, and moved on. I did not have time to mess with that.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Sony will fight you tooth and nail and drag it out for as long as they possibly can and then just leave you hanging. That's what they did with me and my X950G. Finally sold it at a huge loss, and moved on. I did not have time to mess with that.

The Geek squad guy called again, and he got into the Sony triage site. He said he'll send the pictures of the issue and Sony should issue an RA# if deemed defective. The Z9F is long gone from Best buy though, so I'm unsure if I'll get store credit or my money back. I'm hoping for the latter. If I get my money back I'll be giving it to Robert Zohn at value electronics, and using it towards a 77" LG CX.

Reactions: Squirrel!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I have countless Sony products, including a recent A9G and X930E, and they are generally a slimy company with little regard for the consumer. Thankfully, I have only had rare interaction with customer support, but the limited interactions were uniformly negative.

·
Premium Member
3,840 Posts
***Everyone has different experiences. I bought a 75" 900E TV through an authorized Sony dealer here in Colorado. The set had major problems with what I'll call "frame jumping" to the point it was unwatchable with live sports. I documented the issue (much thanks to the AVS Forum) and received a brand new, Sony 900F in its place. Oddly enough, the Sony 900E 49" in our bedroom does not exhibit the same behavior! I prefer to have an authorized "XXX" dealer for large purchases and then back it up with an extended warranty.

Also - - Best Buy is getting many "OLED" returns for inherent panel uniformity issues (banding, tinting, vignetting & potential burn in.) I think this has a lot to do with their "three strikes and you're out" policy. Especially if they have to pickup and deliver each set. I can't see how this is a profitable model for anyone - the customer, the seller and the manufacturer. But that's a topic for another day.

No matter what - - your warranty is only as good as the place you bought it from. Best Buy can be a pain, but you usually can solve your problem to your satisfaction with BB. Lots of good advice, here, but my best advice is do not give up. Keep on documenting your case until it gets resolved to your satisfaction. Sorry to hear that you are going through this issue.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
All of this is making me not want to buy a new TV.

Sorry, that wasn't my intention when I started this thread.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry, that wasn't my intention when I started this thread.
I understand. And I am just paranoid when it comes to expensive things. It is a lot of money, and then hassle if it needs to be exchanged. Especially for myself, at 75"+, it also adds a ton of headache. I am just trying to get it right, and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Does your warranty cover accidental damage for if the is physically broken like a shattered screen? if it covers that then I say a Nintendo Wii controller accidentally slipped out of your hands and broke the screen. :D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Does your warranty cover accidental damage for if the is physically broken like a shattered screen? if it covers that then I say a Nintendo Wii controller accidentally slipped out of your hands and broke the screen. :D
It's supposed to cover just about everything but that.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts