AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Boxlight 38T (Sanyo XP21N clone) came two days early and I got home from a camping trip in enough time to do a ROUGH (and I do mean ROUGH) setup on it. How rough? How about running a Toshiba 2109 into the 38T using component cables and let it do the scaling. Now that's rough!

Talk about edge artifacts and stairstepping, particularly on the DVDs menu screens. OK, I ran it through Video Essentials and told my wife not to expect much. After all, the Grayhawk isn't here yet and we're shining it on a semi-gloss light pink painted wall.

HOLY SMOKES!! This thing is awesome even with a crappy feed. Interestingly, the artifacts weren't nearly as noticeable in a movie as they were during setup. Oh most definitely there, but not so bad we couldn't REALLY enjoy the movie. For sure, the internal de-interlacer is pretty weak.

Contrast? Very decent, considering the wall. I felt the contrast was similar to what an actual movie looks like in a theater. I've seen what the Grayhawk can do in this area so I'm positive it will be more than acceptable.

Color? Simply fantastic--took our breath away. Deep, vivid and accurate!

Brightness? Yep, brighter is better! Really gave the picture punch and depth.

Noise/heat? Didn't even notice it with the projector sitting right behind us and slightly above. But it was a little warm in the back of the room after 2 hours.

Pixels: We're sitting 15.5' back from a 100" diagonal picture. Pixels are simply not an issue! And we didn't de-focus either! And I have better than 20:20 vision at that distance. The MLA obviously makes a difference and the trick with this projector is to observe the rule of viewing distance being at least 2 times screen width.

We sat there for two hours with silly grins on our face and a periodic "gees this is fantastic". I never thought I'd see the day I could have something like this in my house.

Dan

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Good to have another XP21N user on the forum. Are you planning on getting any scalers. I am debating between the iScan Pro and the Quadscan Elite at the moment. The XP21N does a great job with a progressive scan signal, but is pretty poor with an interlaced signal. The iScan Pro supposively does a better job deinterlacing than the Quadscan, but the Quadscan gives you full scaling

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither because the Quadscan can't do the squeezes I need to use my Panamorph. And I don't have $5 grand for a rock. When they increased price 67% (from $3K to $5K) they lost me. So I'm still looking at the scaler issue. Joe's observation, that putting interlaced out from the RP91 and through the Quadscan is better than the RP91's scaler is pretty interesting, isn't it?

BTW, what took you so long to pick up on my thread? Must have taken you at least 60 seconds! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Dan

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Get your butts over to your resource thread right now!

------------------

Joe

My current idea of the best value:

Boxlight 38t

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

Da-Lite 100" 4:3 1.3gain

Studio Experience SE616's

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yeah, me too. Thought it was another LT150 thread. Deciding between LT150 and XP21N. Unless there's something interesting and cheap at CEDIA.

------------------

Walter

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Dan,

What is the street price of the Sanyo XP21 vs the Boxlight 38T? Are they identical units or just share certain hardware.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are pretty much identical. I got mine from studio experience. Looks like pricing is around the middle fives, give or take a few hundred. I got a competitive price but what is just as important, I got it from a dependable supplier who provides very good after the sale backup and service.

Dan

·
Premium Member
24,319 Posts
"Neither because the Quadscan can't do the squeezes I need to use my Panamorph."

The iscan pro will squeeze 4:3 horizontally to compensate the vertical squeeze of the Panamorph.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
The Panamorph guy ought to be providing an I-Scan Pro discount coupon with his lens so people will know the cheapest way to get the most out of the lens.

I-Scan should be getting a lot of orders from Panamorph buyers.

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I'm thinking I may stack them up, use a Quadscan to get the DVD playing right and use an IScan on the TV circuit to get the TV signal decent. Do you think it would be possible to run the squeezed IScan signal through the Quadscan and come out with the right image post-Panamorph?

I think I'm gonna get one of those cheap Quadscans tomorrow.

Dan

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
That's way over my head, but it seems like a lot of redundant processing to me, and maybe you're just asking for trouble.

Which reminds me of Jaron's troubles. Is it possible that becuase he is using a VGA breakout to component, he is sending a scaled image to the video inputs of the 38t to be scaled again? That seems to be asking for artifacts, and may be causing some kind of color shift. I think we need some technical types to help us on this one.

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Joe:

I think you may have something there. I'm going to follow your setup recommendation closely and I'll be running VGA from the Quadscan to the VGA of the computer. When I get it running, I'll report on the results.

BTW, see my report on the Grayhawk and Boxlight combo. Drastic improvement in shadow detail and black level! Projector Central was right--these two are made for each other.

Dan

·
Registered
20 Posts
Been following everyones' post's on these Sanyos. I'm about to buy one myself. Except every time I go to a high end store they want me to get a runco or vidikron, etc.

Anyway, why not match it to a Faroudja NR? The guys on that BB love it.

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
Probably just a matter of cost. QSE's are about $1,000 now, what is the NR.

------------------

Joe

Boxlight 38t

Quadscan Elite

Panasonic RP91

RCA DTC-100

and some other stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Faroudja NR runs about $3200. Figure about $7K for XP21 or $8.5K for the XP30 or 40 and the price is not so outrageous. Gosh the Dwin with scaler runs $13K and the runco starts at $15K with scaler, both of which are barely 1000 lumens, washes out real fast with ambient light.

I'd like to see an XP21/30 or boxlight equivalent. I'm in Ft. Lauderdale--anybody have one near here?

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Larry:

Check your pricing on the Boxlight 38T. It's not as high as $7K any more. Check the source in my post above.

Try and see the projector on a screen that is not too high gain. I can confirm the Grayhawk is a great match for these Sanyos--the improvement in contrast and black level is pretty startling.

Dan

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
You guys could step over to the HTPC world and do all your "custom" resolutions in one box for a lot cheaper than any you have named (DVDO excluded of course).

Mike

------------------

Let's go out to the lobby.

Let's go out to the lobby.

To have ourselves a snack!

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
7,202 Posts
California Audio Labs video processor/switcher will scale, stretch or squeeze a 16:9 or 4:3 image. It basically a Quadscan but with more features. Price is 2400.00 but you may be able to find it discounted.

------------------

Never become so involved with something that it blinds you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Guys I'm a little new at this hi-hi tech stuff.

1)what does a panamorh(?) lens do for me on the xp21?

2)can our htpc guy outline the dream machine and what it can do versus a faroudja nr (costs too)?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.