AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I connected my Sony HD-200 DirecTV tuner, a Bravo D1 DVD player, and my HTPC to my Infocus 7200...all via DVI. I used a Gefen 4 X 1 DVI switcher. To my amazement, everything worked fine the first time.

HDTV looks much better than via component. I always noticed some picture noise before (had to sit 12' back to make it disappear) but via DVI the picture's clean, even close to the screen. The Bravo vs my HTPC is close, but I need to do more comparison.

Bottom line: The Gefen 4 X 1 DVI switcher is recommended.

TA

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have used it now for the last couple of days and it works perfect. So much so that several of my clients are buying them.

Steve

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
except for it switches inputs all by itself, I have no complaints. ;) HD-200 remote will make that happen and so is the Hughes DTV Tivo's.

They got to hurry up and come up with the update soon cause it sucks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Interesting. I received the 4x1 Gefen a few weeks ago and use it with an HD200 with no issues. I wonder if they changed the code?

Ken

·
Registered
247 Posts
So since the D1 requires different color offsets and gains than the HD-200, do you have user settings setup for the DVI input?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I just hooked up my Benq to a Pioneer DV59 AVI and the Sony HD300 through the Gefen 4 X 1 switcher.

I cannot get it to switch inputs at all. The remote is working because I can see the little red led flashing but nothing happens on the 4 X 1. I must have a bad unit. The owners manual says you can select inputs by "using the front panel push buttons to switch between sources".............. of course their are no front panel push buttons on my 4 X 1 only led's

It also comes with a 5 Volt DC power supply but again no mention in the owners manual on what it does. I unpluged the power supply and it makes no difference. The box does pass the DVI signal but the only way I can switch sources is to manually plug my sources into input 1 because I cannot switch to any othet source.

Anybody else see this?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
DRC-

Must be a bum unit. There really isn't a lot of ways one can go wrong with the Gefen...pretty much plug & play.

ReeseG-

I haven't arrived at "perfect" settings yet for the various devices. When I do I'll post them for those interested.

I did notice that that after going DVI on everything, My 7200's user settings (read color settings) definitely needed some adjustment. Color seemed more saturated.

TA

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
the gefen switcher is starting to be a real pain in the a$$. B&Kref30, tivo, hd200 remotes trigger the damn thing to switch by itslef all the time. It is worthless.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Mine said it had new codes on little piece of paper in the box. I have a Bravo D1, HD300, Windows XP MCE HTPC and an HT1000 - never had it switch on it's own or using other equipment. I like it!

- Dan

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Pease
the gefen switcher is starting to be a real pain in the a$$. B&Kref30, tivo, hd200 remotes trigger the damn thing to switch by itslef all the time. It is worthless.
Jerry, Did you email Gefen? He is usually pretty good at reponding right away. If he has updated the unit, I bet he'll exchange it.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I called them and talked to tech support there is a new version comming out in March that is supposed to have better ir response and discrete codes.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Jerry,

One work around, albeit kludgey, I can think of: Use a remote extender.... with an attached (on the receiver) IR emmiter that covers the IR receiver on the Gefen (preventing other IR blasts from being picked up by the Gefen). Then, place remote extender yransmitter in some isolated location that requires you to "reach around" when you want to switch the Gefen but won't pick up other stray IRs. Far from ideal and would eliminate the ability to use a macro like I do on my Pronto.

I must be lucky. I have 11 components in my rack that are remote controlled, and no IR compatibility issues with the Gefen.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Wasn't the Pacific Cable unit doing the same thing with remote codes? Sounds like the bugs haven't been worked out of either unit. I'd really prefer an autoswitcher anyway with priorities...like the Key Digital unit I use for component switching.

My fantasy switcher actually looks a lot more like the DVDO iScan HD scaler, but includes built in switching for 2 DVI/HDMI, 2 Component and 2 S-Video sources and upscaling to 1080p...truly a fantasy... LOL.

Anyone know if Key Digital is working on their own switcher yet?

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Reese,

Key announced a 4x1, 1U DVI switcher that is HDCP compliant at CES, but I don't have any more information about it.

Best Regards,

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Pease
I called them and talked to tech support there is a new version comming out in March that is supposed to have better ir response and discrete codes.
well it is june and it looks like I may have this afternoon according to UPS :rolleyes: my new updated 4 x 1 DVI switcher. Hope fully they fixed all of their problems.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
If I told you, you wouldn't believe me. 1st I must have waited half a year for the fix that was only supposed to take a few more weeks. Then it became months.

I had to send the thing that never worked on my dime 15$. Pay for the so called upgrade 25$ to fix their problem and then pay 30$ for packaging and shipment.

Nice customer oriented company. Needless to say GEFEN will not get anymore business from me. That said, early indications is that the upgraded version finally works.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I forgot to mentioned, they did turned it around on the same day.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Does anyone know if a switcher like this would be a way to get around the fact that the Sanyo PLV70 doesn't support HDCP? In other words, if you insert this switcher in the chain can you fool the source and view the material?

Chris

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.