AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unless I the misread the site ( http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4298 ), this looks exactly like what I wanted to get from any/all DHT Receivers, but have yet to see... It takes all four inputs (Composite/S-video, Component, and 2xHDMI) and scales them to the HDMI output, including sound (optionally output sound via SPDIF or Optical). And the HDMI inputs allow for SPDIF/Optical audio-in for us DVI->HDMI users from the Mac mini!!!!

·
Registered
641 Posts
ALL digital displays have internal scalers. Some are better than others but can't match a good external video processor like a DVDO iScan for example. If all scalers built into displays were top notch there would be no such think as an upconverting DVD player for example. This gefen thing looks interesting in such a compact form factor. If it had a few more HDMI ports it might make a nice little HDMI hub with the added benefit of analog conversion to boot. I look foreward to seeing what it can do as far as scaling goes and what they are using to do it.

-Jerry C.

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have not ever had a progressive-scan DVD player,and I am ripping my DVD collection to my mini. I was looking to get 3:2 pulldown, progressive scan, 1080i, HDMI output from my mini (and my older Sony DA50ES: s-video out) to my SXRD. The Sony TV does upscale all inputs to 1080p, but does not do 3:2 pulldown nor progressive scan that I am aware of... at least the playback of DVDs and ripped DVDs doesn't look much better than playing the DVDs with my Pioneer DVD/LD player into a non-HD tv. Anyway, I thought this unit would solve my problem without replacing my receiver. If I'm wrong about that, I surely would like to know as I will cease looking for a method to improve the playback quality and wait to purchase the HD/Blue Ray player and a HDMI 1.3 receiver.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs /forum/post/0

The Sony TV does upscale all inputs to 1080p, but does not do 3:2 pulldown nor progressive scan that I am aware of....

On progressive: Then what does the p in 1080p stand for? (All fixed-pixel displays are progressive.)

On pulldown: You don't identify your model, but check your manual for "DRC," "CineMotion," and pulldown.

Quote:

at least the playback of DVDs and ripped DVDs doesn't look much better than playing the DVDs with my Pioneer DVD/LD player into a non-HD tv.

Not a meaningful comparison. (Talk about apples and oranges!) Which input on the SXRD? Have you calibrated it (at either end)?

·
Immaculate Grand Phoobah
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsarver /forum/post/0

On progressive: Then what does the p in 1080p stand for? (All fixed-pixel displays are progressive.)

On pulldown: You don't identify your model, but check your manual for "DRC," "CineMotion," and pulldown.

Not a meaningful comparison. (Talk about apples and oranges!) Which input on the SXRD? Have you calibrated it (at either end)?

Thanks for your help: my current receiver is a Sony DA50ES, my current DVD/LD player is a Pioneer DVL700. Both are about 10-years old, only have S-Video outs, not progressive nor pulldown, and are connected to the SXRD via S-Video. Also, I was assuming the Mac mini (connected to the SXRD via DVI->HDMI) wasn't doing any 3:2 pulldown, or progressive scanning (I didn't actually know that if the display was progressive, then you got the benefit even if you didn't feed it progressive, which is what you seem to imply). I calibrated the inputs on the SXRD using a digital calibration DVD for the mini, a analog calibration DVD and an analog calibration LD for the Pioneer. I have not had it ISFed as I was waiting until I got the appropriate receiver/adaptor.

Anyway, I am probably putting too much effort into a "dead" medium (DVD) like I did with LD. I guess I'll just wait 'till Sony makes a receiver w/HDMI 1.3 and then commit to HDDVD/BlueRay & a new receiver.

Shoot! I really thought this Gefen thing was going to do what I needed.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon B /forum/post/0

There is a second model of this that doesn't have all the legacy inputs (composite, Svid) but can switch more component ins:

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=4174

Odd that they made it look so mini-like. It is 3/8" longer and wider, and what's with the "slot that is not an optical drive"?

BB

This would be even better if it accepted an hdmi connection and split out the multichannel pcm audio to 6.1 analog connections. I could then have my ps3, pcm audio and my cake.

The mini-esque design is very, very odd. What exactly does the pseudo drive slot accomplish? Apart from make me think of the mini.

·
Registered
641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew67 /forum/post/0

The mini-esque design is very, very odd. What exactly does the pseudo drive slot accomplish? Apart from make me think of the mini.

They probably are using enclosures based on external firewire ones that copy the mini to begin with. There are at least a half a dozen ones I have seen that all look like the mini. Most of them seem to have vents on the back with a white panel that is almost identical to the real mini's look but the Gefen has a solid black panel so the front slot probably helps to ventilate in this particular application.

-Jerry c.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts

Quote:

I didn't actually know that if the display was progressive, then you got the benefit even if you didn't feed it progressive, which is what you seem to imply.

Yep. Interlacing is something only CRTs do: the electron beam paints every other line in a single top-to-bottom pass. So you are watching a progressive display.

Your set also scales the picture from 480 (or whatever) up to 1080.

Aside: You still might find that a modern DVD player has a better deinterlacer and /or scaler than the TV. Or, since you've got the fancy TV, you might even consider an HD-DVD player. The Toshibas are supposed to do a very good job deinterlacing and up-scaling regular DVDs. (I don't have one.) DVDs aren't dead yet by a long shot.

Back to the point: Are you using the mini's DVI to the TV's HDMI? For calibration, use a disk such as Avia or DVE, rather than some ancient material for analog media and displays. (I haven't ISF'ed either.) Each mode of each input can be calibrated independently.

Which software are you playing DVDs with on the mini? You might give VLC (free) a whirl, if you haven't yet. It's a lot more flexible than Apple's own software. (But the rumor is that none yet allows hardware acceleration on the Core Duo for picture processing. Maybe Leopard will.)

Quote:

I really thought this Gefen thing was going to do what I needed.

It may yet do so, if it has better components. Generally, the best connection from source to TV is direct, as long as you've got the inputs. I'd put a switch or receiver in-line only when you run out of inputs. A video processor (e.g., DVDO) is another story entirely. Most work magic, but cost 4-10 times as much as the Gefen boxes. The new Gefen boxes seem to occupy a middle ground. I need to get my hands on a manual--and hear some first hand reviews. Sorry: I'm rambling.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.