AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my reading, I seem to find folks who have found a steal 6x2 HDMI matrix or regular switch. Then in reading reviews on sites like Amazon, find that half of the folks have serious problems with them. Namely OREI which is sold by Amazon and Etekcity which is sold through Amazon. HDTV Supply also seems to sell the same unit for $225. Some of the problems are not serious in that they don't pass through signals. But some of the reviews have dire circumstances with HDMI circuits being damaged. I certainly don't need a device that causes that sort of damage when the whole reason for finding a 6x2 device is so that I don't have to spend big bucks to upgrade my PrePro.

So here is my question: I have a Lexicon MC12 Balanced that doesn't have HDMI inputs or outputs. I have 6 sources that are HDMI. I have two video devices, one a Epson front projector and the second a Samsung HDTV with ARC. I'd like to use the 6x2 device to provide a digital audio signal to the Lexicon. I then will send the video on to either the Epson or the Samsung. Though I would never have both HDTV or the projector on at the same time - they are in the same room.

So what do you guys recommend? Gefen has a new 6x2 Matrix unit available for a cost of $799. DVDO has two devices the Quick 6 for $399 and the new Matrix 6 for $499. The OREI from Amazon is $129 and the Etekcity is $119. Do these devices do the same thing at the quite wide price differences? I want something that is "set it up and forget about it" reliability. Is there a quality issue with the various signals - both video and audio? Since my Epson projector doesn't have audio, will any of these devices down convert to the lowest device's common denominator signals - which might be stereo for a device that doesn't handle audio? Both video devices are 1080P, so I don't think I have to worry about down converting video issues.

If it matters, the Samsung HDTV is 3D, so the 6x2 device would need to be able to pass that level of signal through to the Samsung HDTV. I don't see me upgrading to anything like 4K video any time soon if ever. I can also use the Samsung's ARC to send a toslink audio signal back to the Lexicon if it will send the DD or DTS surround audio back to the Lexicon. I haven't really determined if the HDMI pass through for DD or DTS surround audio will pass back through a ARC return audio. If that is the case, then I would need the digital audio from the 6x2 device to send those signals to the Lexicon.

What do I need?

Secondary question is video up converting. I have a legacy Laserdisc player that only outputs S video. My Lexicon doesn't up convert video. Does anyone offer a product that takes S video and up converts it to go over HDMI? The Lexicon only has one video out, so I would have to decide with video device gets the signal. Well unless I try to split the signal somehow.

Sorry for some of these dumb questions. I've had all of my audio/video gear in storage for the last 4+ years and I'm just now able to set up a audio/theater room. So my knowledge is quite old at this stage of my audio life.

Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm updating my questions because I tried one of these less expensive HDMI 6 x 2 matrix switches. This one sold by Amazon, though it was available cheaper from other Amazon.com sellers. Those were Etekcity as one example. Here is the switch info:

OREI HD-602 6x2 HDMI 1.4V Matrix Switch/Splitter (6-input, 2-output) with Remote Control Supports PIP, MHL, HDMI 1.4, 3D, 1080p, 4K x 2K

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71ebsOmSrPL._SL1500_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81kMNacSJLL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/HD-602-Splitter-6-input-2-output-Supports/dp/B00F4ORUG4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396581694&sr=8-1&keywords=6x2+HDMI+1.4V+Matrix+Switch%2FSplitter

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity®-Splitter-2-output-Supports-Lossless/dp/B00HM874WU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396580814&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=6x2+HDMI+1.4V+Matrix+Switch%2FSplitter

The HDMI video was being switched mostly ok, with a couple serious issues. But the worst part was the audio signal would only pass through in 2 channel. I tried manually switching the EDID audio, but it changed nothing. I did find that the audio was passing through the HDMI to my 1080p HDTV. Then with its optical toslink cable going back to my Lexicon MC12B was fine. It showed up as DD or Dts without any problem.

Regarding the video issue, I found that my two computers' monitor/screens would blink wildly. Even though they were not the selected input source, they would violently go crazy. This wasn't during switching inputs. This was in steady state condition.

So I'm very disappointed in the outcome. I'm hesitant to try other HDMI matrix switches with the fear that this will turn into an expensive waste of funds. So has anyone tried the Gefen or DVDO versions of this type of switch? How do they work? Or should I kick the bucket and sell the Lexicon and try to find another PrePro that includes HDMI video and audio processing? The only real choice for my system would be the Denon AVP-A1HDCi PrePro. I need balanced outputs and 3 subwoofer outputs for my system. I found a Lexicon MC12HDEQ PrePro, but found that it does not do any up conversion of legacy video sources, of which I have with a vintage Laserdisc player. I've already run HDMI cables to my HD Projector and to the HDTV. So I really don't want to try to pull component or composite of S video cables through the narrow conduit I have in place. I'm not even sure I'd get another cable inside the conduit at all at this stage.

What do you guys suggest? Opinions anyone? Come on, this isn't a new topic. What works and what doesn't?

Thanks, Dennis

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Upon further thought, I should outline my gear so that you know what I have and what my needs might entail.

PrePro is Lexicon MC12B. Preamp is Pass Labs X.02, HDTV is Samsung 3D 55" with 4 HDMI inputs, Epson 1080pro projector with 2 HDMI inputs. Sources are Samsung 3D DVD player, Oppo DVD, Sony PS3, Prism Laserdisc via S video or composite video through a Gefen up convertor to HDMI with toslink output for audio. Two Mac Book Pros via HDMI and two Dish Network DVRs. So 7 sources though I don't know that I will need to find a 8x2 switch over a 6x2. I don't need or want to pay for a 8x8 matrix switch, which I haven't found one that has digital audio outputs for the audio side that I need for my Lexicon PrePro.

I am thinking about using two Gefen switches though. They have the 6x2 HDMI 4k2k matrix switch with 2 toslink audio outputs. Then use their 4x2 HDMI 4k2k matrix switch daisy chained into the 6x2 switch. That would give a total of 8 input source options. The 4x2 does not have separate digital audio outputs like the 6x2 switch.

If you need additional info, just ask. Thanks Dennis

1 - 3 of 3 Posts