AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own all 3 things in the thread title?

If so, could they test if a HDMI detective with EDID of a new Samsung or Sony 3D tv can fool the PS3 to show 3D and work with a 120 hz capable monitor?

It sounds possible but you never know what kind of barriers Sony has made to make sure you buy their 5000 dollar TVs.

I own 2 of the 3 things on this list but I really don't want to spend 100 bucks on the HDMI Detective if this setup doesn't work. There are no local stores around me which accept returns selling the HDMI detective so I'd have to order online...which is fine, but only if this will work.

Much appreciated.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I don't have the components, but it *shouldn't* work- the PS3 will be trying to send hdmi 1.4-style frame packed signal, while the monitor would expect 120hz frame sequential.

It has been proposed that using an avertv hd dvr card to feed the PS3's frame packed into a PC where stereoscopic player can input it as a live feed and display it in frame sequential might work. Several users have reported success using this config for 3d side-by-side broadcasts (espn) from comcast. I don't think anyone has tested it on a ps3 signal though...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you sir!

I got confused in thinking that PS3 is sending a frame sequential signal.

But what you are saying with your suggestion, essentially to get this to work I may have to:

PS3 ---> Gefen HDMI detective

Gefen ---> AverTV Capture card in the PC

Then the signal from the capture card played in stereoscopic player converting it to frame sequential/checkerboard or whatever format you have set up with 3D vision

I am not sure that there is a stereoscopic player on the PC that plays framepacked format, but I'll find out

·
Registered
912 Posts
I think the implementation they use is essentially over/under... but there might be a buffer between, so I'm still not sure if it'll work. Still it's a theoretical possibility ... :p I'm considering trying it myself, but I'm in kinda the same boat as you; it's a bunch to plunk down just to try something.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
AFAIK since the PS3 does not have a HDMI1.4 trasmitter chip I don't think it will be able to send 3D BR disk in the HDMI 1.4 packed frame format to a 3D TV with it's HDMI 1.4 receiver chip. That does not mean that it can not output 3D content in another frame sequential format such as that useb by the Nvidia 3D player system.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/18781828

AFAIK since the PS3 does not have a HDMI1.4 trasmitter chip I don't think it will be able to send 3D BR disk in the HDMI 1.4 packed frame format to a 3D TV with it's HDMI 1.4 receiver chip. That does not mean that it can not output 3D content in another frame sequential format such as that useb by the Nvidia 3D player system.

Already discussed at length and known to not be correct. The PS3 thru a combination of it existing HDMI hardware plus software emulation is able to support just enough of the HDMI 1.4 functions to correctly interact with 3DTVs and AVRs that are equipped with full HDMI 1.4 functionality. The PS3 does output full resolution 1080p/24 video for both the right and left images using the Frame Packing format, as required for all Blu-ray 3D players. The PS3 does not output frame sequential nor checkboard 3D formats as neither of these older formats are required by the Blu-ray 3D specification nor are they required formats by the HDMI 1.4a standard.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
I am confused, AFAIK a dat for the firmware update to the PS3 to play new 3D Blu-Ray formatted disks has not yet been anounced.

Therefore I do not think it can currently format other 3D content packed in the 3D formast whose specs were released last December.

I have been under the impression that a sender needs a HDMI 1.4 transmitter chip in order to get a 3D TV to automatically sync to and receive the packed frame 3D format,

however, from what you are saying that is not correct.

·
Registered
912 Posts
right - sony has already updated the firmware in the PS3 to play some games in 3d. There are 4 (I think) so far, all of them downloadable from PSN (most downloadable as demos.) They are all playable in 3d, but only when the PS3 is connected to an hdmi 1.4 compliant display. Sony is not able to be completely hdmi 1.4 with their output, but they are able to emulate it enough to do this.

The bluray 3d capability for ps3 is not yet enabled, and will be coming sometime in the near future.

So two seperate functions, both related to firmware updates - one already happened though. I think compatibility with the currently available demos is probably a very good indication of what will be compatible with ps3 bluray 3d.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a setup of ps3-->gefen hdmi detective-->avertv hd-->Acer H5360

I get a very distorted and fuzzy screen in VirtualDub or Steroscopic Player and I cannot activate the 3D in the display menu. I can confirm the gefen will allow me to autodetect in the display menu 7203D when I remove the avertv from the chain and plug directly into the Acer, but that is useless to me since the PJ cannot decode the frame-packed signal.

I am using the avermedia driver from the post #144 on the "AVerTV HD DVR: New PCIe HD Capture Card" thread as it is the last one that was reported to maintain the HDCP capture loophole. What is weird is that if the HDCP is not active I should not see anything, so I think I have another problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Using a PS3 for 3D content on a current 3D monitor will not work properly for two reasons.

1. No 120hz 3D monitors currently support HDMI 1.4. A bandwidth requirement for passing dual 60hz signals in HD resolutions.

2. More importantly, all available 3D monitors use Nvidia's proprietary 3D technology. This requires the 3D emitter be plugged (via USB 2.0) into a PC with an Nvidia graphics solution. Nvidia's software controls the emitter/shutter glasses and requires the use of both their hardware and software.

HDTV's each use their own emitter hardware/software exclusive to their brand, in comparison to PC monitors which all currently use Nvidia's technology. Although, most 3D content (and related technologies) IS standardized, the method in which it is displayed is not.

Nvidia hardware is not natively compliant with the "3D content" standardizations and requires separate software (which Nvida, uncreatively, calls "3DTV Play") to display 3D content on displays (such as 3D HDTV's) that are not licensed Nvidia "3D Vision" displays.

In short, if PC monitor manufacturers do adopt HDMI 1.4 protocol in the future, they will also have to develope proprietary or universal emitter technologies to be capable of properly displaying standardized 3D content such as BluRay 3D, broadcast 3D, and game console 3D.

Note: BluRay 3D can be displayed on 3D monitors currently, but requires a compatible Nvidia 3D graphics solution, a Bluray dvd drive, and Bluray "playback" software.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts