AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i want to install a new vga card for htpc which card should i buy?

is the raedon a problem to configure?

i'm not very good with a pc so i want something thats going

to be easy to install

how much different are they in terms of picture quality??

thanks for the help

jason

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
The Radeon requires more tweaking in DVD Genie to get max picture quality. Even if you don't do that, it still looks better. The LE can be found for pretty cheap too. I would (and have!) gone with the Radeon LE.

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

·
Registered
42 Posts
I put together PC parts for a year now. What I have to say:

Radeon DVD quality cannot be compared to any other vga card.

Radeon has the Rage Theater chip, which supports IDCT and Motion Compensation. Geforce mx only supports Motion Compensation, so, there is a difference. I have also noticed that with Geforce mx the colors of the DVD playback are always dark, so everytime you have to change the color - brightness settings of your monitor... etc, to be able to watch the movies.

You can see with your own eyes the incoplete DVD support of geforce, if you do this.

Download DVDGenie. Through it, enable hardware acceleration, for PowerDVD. Run the disc-movie. You will see some trembling - unstable playback, with Geforce. Without enabling Hardware Acceleration everything seems to be fine - except the color-brightness problems.

With Radeon, you don't have these problems. In the contrary enabling the Hardware acceleration wil give you the best quality DVD playback - similar to the one you would have if you got Dxr3 or Hollywood DVD hardware encoders.

stark

------------------

Blue Skies Bring Tears

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi there,

I've had a Geforce2 MX dual head and found it lousy for DVD usage with a projector. The second ramDAC is a much lower spec one than the main one and power strip can't handle it properly for custom res's. On my card, the picture was fuzzy from either output due to RFI filtering i guess. It comes to something when a 7yr old ATI Mach64 2meg card actualy outstrips the picture quality when put through a projector.

The driver support is reasonable with lots of releases, however the majority of the newer 'beta' drivers lack support for the dual head feature and it becomes painful dropping back to a supported driver.

The geforce is faster for games and maybe using two monitors, or maybe even the tv-output it would be ok, but as a dual head solution for a projector it sucks (1024x768)

I've now switched to the Radeon VE, this installs quite easily and apears more stable, the switching of primary/secondary dynamicaly means i can use my PC as normal with my 21" monitor, select a profile and the projector then has the primary overlay (Esential for DVD), switch back and the PC's as normal. The picture is nice and crisp, with winDVD or Power DVD or even just windows. With the Radeon DVD player the picture even manages another notch up the scale, it takes a few tweaks with DVDGenie, but its well worth it.

The VE's custom resolutions are a touch painful at the mo, but you can use a standard res (1024x768 say) and YxY and the pictures great....things will probably bed down here in the future anyway.

I think the VE strips the Geforce2 MX DualHead without any problems.

Cya,

Lee

------------------

Lee Edward Armstrong (now in maried form!) http://www.darkwave.org.uk/~lee

My Clothes Will Impress You, And My Claws Will Undress You. - The Damned

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Definetly get the Radeon. The GF2 MX cards have very inferior RF filters, and even if you mod the GF2MX the Radeon still has a better picture quality. The only clue to installing the Radeon is to have DirectX8a installed first before installing the latest video card drivers. This saves you a lot of pain later.

------------------

/frode

·
Registered
772 Posts
Number 1: Radeon has 10-bit DAC which will help eliminate banding in solid color transitions (like skies, greens, etc.)

Number 2: Radeon can upconvert DVDs to 1920x1080i, and believe me, it approaches normal HBO HD quality with good DVDs!

Number 3: Radeon LE costs less than $80

Number 4: I used to have the Else Gladiac MX. Now I have the Radeon LE. The MX is sitting in corner collecting dust as we speak.

MMAfia

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.