Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear AVS folk,

I have a question (as always)... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I am going to purchase a JVC G15 D-ILA, and eventually get a anamorphic lens and a quadscan elite, but I also would like to know how to make my insane computer a HTPC....

I have an Asus Geforce3 Deluxe:

1.4 AMD

512 PC2100 DDR

Promise Fastrak100 TX2 RAID

Dual IBM 60GXP 120GB HDD

Realmagic Hollywood Plus DVD Decoder Card

Pioneer 16x DVD Drive

SoundBlaster Live!

I really like the realmagic Hardware decoding output to TV, it always seemed to eliminate the artifacting that I hate about DVDs, but only when I output it to TV... On the monitor it has a real jerky, unstable image, but it's king in my book on TV output..

What do I need to make my Computer more HTPC compatible??

Help is again needed for the village idiot..... http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Sounds great...BUT...The only concern I'd have is heat and noise. I have a 1.4Tbird machine (not htpc) and that sucker runs HOT...Just to keep it in line I have to use a good honkin heatsink/fan on it, which of course is LOUD. The fan on the GF3 is also pretty loud. Other than that, you could indeed call it a HTPC already more or less. If ya can deal with the fan noise and keep temps down http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

-Trouble

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
King:

The SBLive reclocks the audio, and is generally agreed to be a suboptimal sound card in an HTPC. Most people like the M-Audio 24/96 sound card. Many people (like me) get both - the M-Audio isn't compatible with many game programs. LOTS (lots lots lots) more on this topic in the HTPC forum. I don't know the Audigy, maybe that is good, too.

The Geforce III is a great HTPC card, but doesn't buy you anything over the II for DVD playback. You will see many people saying that the Radeon is better, but the difference is fairly subtle, and you'd be fine sticking with the Geforce and saving the Radeon upgrade (and hassles) for a future date (IMHO).

Anyway, post your HTPC questions in that forum, and you'll get better response. You can probably find answers to questions like these best with a search, however.

HTH.

- Dave

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by William:
Not on DD, DVD video PCM or DTS.
William:

Now I'm confused. This has been considered an accepted fact on the HTPC forum for some time. Perhaps my use of the term "reclocking" was incorrect, but my understanding is that the SBLive modifies the audio specifically on PCM, DD, etc signals, by upsampling it from 44.1 to 48 hZ. This has been discussed over there ad nauseum. Here are some links:

Lab tests
Audiophile VS SBLive

And here's something that says that the Audigy does upsample the audio like the SBLive, to answer King's earlier question: Audigy Reviews . So, it would appear that the Audigy is not a good choice over the Audiophile card...

Anyway, I'm just spewing back what I've read - I haven't done any testing myself, but I thought this issue was decided long ago. Do you know something different?

- Dave

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
William:

Now I'm confused. This has been considered an accepted fact on the HTPC forum for some time. Perhaps my use of the term "reclocking" was incorrect, but my understanding is that the SBLive modifies the audio specifically on PCM, DD, etc signals, by upsampling it from 44.1 to 48 hZ...

- Dave[/b]
Dave,

DD, DVD PCM and DTS are 48khz. So it does not reclock them. CDs and MP3 file are reclocked to 48khz but not DVD since it is already 48khz. So if all he is going to use his HTPC is for DD and/or DVD he would not need to change sound cards. Jim Taylor's DVD demystified "Dolby Digital is multi-channel digital audio, using lossy AC-3 coding technology from original PCM with a sample rate of 48 kHz at up to 24 bits.""DTS (Digital Theater Systems) Digital Surround is an optional multi-channel (5.1) digital audio format, using lossy compression from PCM at 48 kHz at up to 24 bits.""Linear PCM is uncompressed (lossless) digital audio, the same format used on CDs and most studio masters. It can be sampled at 48 or 96 kHz with 16, 20, or 24 bits/sample. (Audio CD is limited to 44.1 kHz at 16 bits.)"

------------------
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?...nce=0&res=high

William

[This message has been edited by William (edited 10-02-2001).]

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well,

Sorry to say, the main purpose of my PC is playing games, specifically Tribes 2, Counterstrike, etc...

As much as I am prepared to change over to the new Soundblaster Audigy, I will wait now and make sure all is well with HTPC first..

As for swithing from a Geforce3 to a Radeon.....HA!!!

Only if you're talking about the new 8500??

I know ATi is renowned for fantastic DVD playback, but I never had the chance to use it until too late!!!

Thanks again guys for the help!

(Ooops... I had no idea the was an HTPC forum!! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.