AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , I have a laptop ( Dell Inspiron 8200) I would like to use as a dockable htpc. I have already bought the RCA VGA to component converter. I have the gyration optical suite and I am ready to enter the htpc arena.

Last night I sat down and being a techhead, I figured I could get this thing running in 20 minutes. HA. I spent 3 hours working on getting the Powerstrip settings to work with my Panasonic 56" HDTV. After all that I had a screen with a big black line down the middle and poor quality otherwise. I am using the nview clone in the settings for the pc resolution. My desktop res. is set at 1400x1050. I am using 1920x540p in Powerstrip at the software's predefined settings. This setting was among two or three that even showed an intelligable screen .I know a lot of you are using custom timings, but I guess I don't know what that stuff really does one by one. I guess the other question is, I was told to set something to the native resolution of my TV. I am a uber newbie when it comes to the htpc, but I feel you guys are the only place that could help me. HELP..Thanks!!

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
You should have gotten the Audio Authority transcoder. I seem to remember that the RCA was only for use with the RCA DTC100 satellite box.

I've never used the nVeiw clone along with Powerstrip so I can't really comment on it. I would make sure that the VGA signal that is going into the transcoder is using the custom resolution.

I have a Panasonic 56in also and use the Powerstrip 960X540p and 1280X720p with no problems. Goto Advanced Timings > Custom Resolution > highlight the Predefined Resolution > click Add new resolution. After it is accepted by Powerstrip click APPLY or OK then SAVE the timing.

Let us know how it goes!

Hammer

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you using the same card as mine-geforce. I have the image using the the dual monitor setup ,but none of the icons show up. It won't let me check the HDTV as the primary. I don't understand why the Rca would work any different than others. The adapter does all the correct syncs. When I use nview, it shows the icons. It still is missing about a third of the screen, however. It still is very unreadable and I messed with the timings to no avail. I am wondering if there is a switch that I can flip to fix it. I will try those resolutions you gave me and see if that works. I notice when I set it up in HDTV standard 1920x540p, it accepts it without having to restart the computer. Is your tv 16.9? Mine is a 4.3 with full 1080i and 480p. I don't believe it has support for 720p. I would be perfectly happy to get it working in a lower res. to start somewhere. I feel the transcoder is working, but something basic is wrong. :) :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
Yes I'm using GF 2MX 440 (not a laptop). Sorry, I do not have any experience with using dual monitors.

I MAY BE WRONG... But, I believe the RCA transcoder was put on the market to allow users of the DTC100 to connect it to HDTVs because it used some non-standard 1080i timing that the transcoder compensated for.

16X9 vs 4X3 won't be an issue as far as getting your TV to sync. It will just make the picture either tall and skinny or short and squatty.

---WARNING---

Do not keep your HDTV on that input for any longer than is necessary to tell if it is in sync, or you could cause damage to it!

Hammer

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I kind of figured damage would occur over a sdhorter period of time than usual. I guess I will try something else beacause the image is still worse than when I use s-video. Oh well, any body else have any ideas?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bump

·
Registered
916 Posts
I have an Inspiron 8200 with a GeForce4 and have had little to no luck getting it to work also. I'm using a Key Digital VTCA2 transcoder output to a Hitachi 53SWX10B. I can get a picture at 1280x720 and 960x540, but it's shifted horizontally to the left quite a bit, and I can't do anything to adjust it properly. Thus the laptop is useless as an HTPC, unless I can somehow resolve this. I know I've read of others who use their laptops on their big screens, so it would be much appreciated if they had any insight.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ditto here!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
exact same boat here, with a geforce2 and a pana 51" and a key digital. absolutly no luck getting anything close my high def sat channels. Im hoping that its somthing simple cause i know my set is capable of looking fantastic in high def.

trow us a bone!! or a whole bag of em!!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok Karnis help, please.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Laptop chipsets are usually very limited in terms of custom resolution support.

The RCA transcoder is designed for use with the DTC 100 STB & is not recommended for HTPC use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.