AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mitsubishi 65" ws-65313 with a htpc hooked up. I was using a Radeon 8500 + dongle + powerstrip with Karnis's custom timings to get an acceptable 720x480 @ 480p. But powerstrip frequently annoyed me by blowing up and caused me (and my spouse) much frustration. I saw a good deal on an agp geforce 6200 and took it. I figured with it's HDTV support out of the box (with included component cable) I could be rid of the ATI dongle and powerstrip. Hence begins the pain.

I could make the thing (with the latest 77.77 drivers) work in exactly 2 resolutions... [email protected] and [email protected] No suprises there... but if I even thought about enabling the overscan shift (ati people know this as virtual desktop) or underscan controls my TV would lose sync and the machine would have to be hard booted. So frustrated! It has built in custom res/porch settings that look like powerstrip, but touch them and it's reboot time. 1080i actually looked pretty good, much better than I ever saw on the Radeon, but without virtual desktop or cropping/underscan it's useless as a working desktop.

I have reinstalled the Radeon and am restoring the image I took the day before, back to the much hated powerstrip.

Has anyone made a geforce 6xxx work with an rptv? Did you use custom timings? care to share?

I have a feeling this card is getting returned. *sigh*

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Not that the 8500 is a great card, I'm not sure that 6200 is sufficient for 1080i. It does accelerate 720p but not 1080i w/c does you no good.

Also, Nvidia has 1080i issues(stuttering and tearing) w/c will limit you to a few DVD players. There are threads on this if you search.

I have a Mits 65-411. Have been using ATi for the last 2 years w/o any issues. I run 960x540 for text and 1776x1000 for everything. I also run a dual monitor system since 1080i TV's are not ideal for regular PC use.

Anyway, I still use powerstrip. I have no issues w/ it. In fact, it doesn't even load on startup since the drivers remember the resolution. The only time it's used is during driver updates. Make sure you have the latest version of Powerstrip.

Here are some basic steps to remember:

Make a custom monitor driver w/ a max resoltion of 1920x1080.

Save and load it in device manager.

Then run Powerstrip and use the ATI 1776x1000i custom res. You may have to reboot more than once w/ the later Cat drivers.( At least I have to)

W/ the custom monitor driver loaded, this WILL work. You may have to plug in a regular monitor to do this.

This is how I initially set this up. I'm using a VGA>RGBHV connection to the DTV input. No dongle due to its Macrovision restriction. You can get this online or your local electronic store in my case.

You can run other custom resolutions too but 1776x1000i is the best for no overscan and a sharp image.

Hope this helps. Good Luck...mike....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I couldn't get 1776 @ 1080i to work to my satisfaction, way too much flicker. The size was nice but the flicker makes for a wicked headache. I think the dongle might be the limiting factor on that (vga to comp black ati dongle).

I've read that people just use powerstrip to configure the driver and then they're done with it, but my custom resolution won't kick in until powerstrip starts. I must be doing something wrong. I'll screw with it the next time I get 2 days to kill. Also my cats are about a year old at this point, maybe it's upgrade time. My wife just glares at me whenever I do this because it jacks my res's all up and I have to spend a whole day getting it back together.

My grand scheme to build my own HDTV DVR with my HTPC has fallen apart I guess. It's sad that my nice big tv doesn't do 720p. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Don't give up quite yet.

Download the latest Cat drivers and install that first. Make sure you have Powerstrip ver 3.6

Don't let PS intimidate you. It may look daunting but it only looks that way.

You need to make a custom monitor driver w/ powerstrip. It's easy. Save the monitor.ini file

to a folder you can easily access or make a new one. Change the monitor driver in Device Manager. You can all do this w/ your regular PC monitor but the TV must be connected too.

Now, I'm not sure if Catalyst Control Center can give you custom resolution setup w/ the dongle. I know it works w/ DVI but not VGA w/c I use so I need PS.

We have similar setups and I just upgraded my 9800pro to a X800XL to speed up all my 3D apps and games.

I have enjoyed my HTPC/Mits setup for over 2 years w/ stunning 1080i PQ.

So don't give up the ship just yet.

Once you get over this hurdle, tweak time will take over but that's for getting the best PQ your TV can do........mike.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.