AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a geforce 7300 in my e1505 notebook pc. I tinkered with connecting it to my 37lcd tv just using the s-video cable. It worked, but needless to say the image was not so great.

My notebook has a monitor out connection right next to the s-video out. My question is, is that the same as a dvi? Will a dvi work with it? I'd like to try to use a dvi to hdmi cable and see what that does. I haven't really gotten a close look at a dvi cable so I have no idea if it is indeed something that can be used with or is actually a monitor type plug.

I don't plan on doing any really hard core gaming(i'm sure the frame rate would suffer) but it'd be cool to surf the web and play some web games on the big screen.

I didn't really have time to tinker with video settings when I tried the s-video, so I don't know if it is more capable or not, but being it's only s-video, I suspect not.

TIA,

Steve

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Your notebook supports two type of outputs it seems.....S-video and standard VGA, the 15 pin connector on the back that is often referred to as D-Sub.

Ideally you want to use that connection and not the s-video.

Your notebook doesn't appear to have an HDMI or DVI output on it.

While you can get a VGA to DVI adaptor, for connecting to a DVI monitor, the quality wont be any better than VGA. This can be quite good, as you can match the monitors native resolution to the output of your laptop, but it wont be as good as a straight digital to digital connection (True DVI out to DVI in on the monitor).

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Note that there are DVI cables that run analog VGA through the DVI cable. This cable works for monitors that accept analog DVI in. However, it won't work at all for anything with digital-only input (such as a DVI to HDMI adapter/cable).

If your TV has VGA in, I would use that.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
What brand of TV is this that has no 15 pin VGA cable?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's an Emerson...when I purchased it, I really had no intention of attempting to use a pc or notebook with it. That is, until I read here that it was possible....lol

It's got your garden variety inputs... component, hdmi, rca, s-video...but no dvi or vga inputs.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
In order to get a VGA to DVI signal, you'd need to use a converter box I believe, and those aren't exactly cheap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.