AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one of these cards? I don't see them in stock anymore at any of the online retailers and even the manufacturer websites like PNY don't even list them as products where they used to. Very interesting/disturbing.

**please no ATI vs Nvidia talk, I'm just curious as to availability of this card

·
Registered
125 Posts
they were discontinued by nvidia since they're such a major headache. If you had ordered one before people stopped taking orders for them then you should still get your card.

Nvidia scrapped it cause it's probably just too expensive to produce (their yields for the chips weren't high enough) and the card was just released too late because of all the fab problems so it didnt' really have a chance to take off in terms of sales. The cooling system on it was ridiculous also... Definitely not something you'd want in a HTPC (it sounds like a leaf blower, apparently). So they're just cutting their losses and focusing on getting nv35 out on time and they've even pushed up their schedule for nv40, which *should* ship this year.

Anyway, my advise is to do one of two things. 1) wait for nv35 2) buy a radeon 9700 for 210 bucks. I'm still a nvidia fan, but ati has significantly improved their drivers and I'm strongly considering a 9700 for my new htpc unless I hear news about nv35 and I think it will release by the time I start putting components together in may.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I had a BFG 5800 Ultra. The local Best Buy got 3 in a few weeks ago. I picked one up hoping the fan noise issue was over exaggerated. It wasn't. It was way too loud- even my wife noticed. It was very fast and stable for me though. I had no issues with the card with any games and apps I use. The card's fan does not run until a 3d app is started then you here a very loud pitched whirr. It was just too loud for me or I would have kept it. BFG just announced the shipping of 256meg Geforce FX 5600s- I may try that card. I do have a ATI 9700 in my main computer that has been perfect for me though. So if you can't wait, a 9700 would be fine.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, I picked a bad time to be putting together a new system. I'm expecting delivery of a new barebones system with A7n8x Dlx and an AMD 3000+ by the end of the week so have been trying to figure out what to do for graphics card. My pc functions as both HTPC and (soon) high-end gaming machine. I love the Nvidia stuff (from experience) but I'm thinking of going with the 9700 Pro as an interim card until Nvidia gets its act together with the NV35.

Thanks for the replies. I thought I might have missed something when I saw that even the manufacturer websites (launch partners no less) weren't mentioning the 5800 series as products in existence anymore. That's pretty freakin' devestating from a marketing standpoint.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.