AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Configuration:

mother board Asus P5K connected to video card GeForce GTS 250 to transmit sound on hdmi. Hdmi out connected to TV Toshiba 42SL738 's hdmi in. Then, TV's digital out is linked with not quite smart AVR (AVR doesn't have hdmi input) of the home theatre Panasonic SC-PT880 via digital toslink-toslink cable.

Win7 installed on PC, and when I check the "Realtek digital output properties" 's tab "levels" I can configure only basic 2 channels.

I expect windows recognizes my TV's audio system(2.1) and just not making available to full configure the sound I send. But I want to send 5.1 on hdmi in spite of impossibility the TV to play the sound stream back.

How the problem can be resolved with no changing the scheme of connections of the physical devices?

·
Registered
616 Posts
GTS 250 is a glorified G92 based card (like the 8800 GT, 8800 GTS 512). It can only support two channel output over HDMI (and possibly (pre-)compressed DD/DTS). It can't send surround out over the HDMI as LPCM.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So.. As soon as the video card will be replaced with more appropriated one for transmiting 5.1 problem will just be removed? I mean, video card is the only "imperfection" of the current system?

·
Premium Member
16,132 Posts
GTS 250 does not have its own audio controller, it gets audio from the mb's onboard S/PDIF, so it supports only stereo PCM, DD and DTS.

Moreover Toshiba 42SL738 's HDMI in supports only stereo PCM ("Supported Audio format: Linear PCM, sampling rate 32/44.1/48kHz."). Hence your AVR gets only stereo PCM via GTS 250 -> TV -> AVR.

You have to connect onboard S/PDIF directly to your AVR to get DD/DTS. Upgrading the graphics card to one that supports stereo PCM/DD/DTS/multichannel LPCM/TrueHD/DD+//DTS-HD won't solve your issue. It is your TV that is the bottleneck (i.e. supports only stereo via HDMI in).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.