AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has been out for over a week now and still no major discussion of it on this group. Are we falling behind the experimentation curve here? Has anybody compared it to the Radeon yet?

While the Radeon's picture is better than the Geforce 2 GTS card's, it's a pain in the ass when I have to switch frequencies or resolutions through Power Strip, and they won't take unless I restart the computer. That's my major gripe with the Radeon. Bill

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Gaw2:
Has been out for over a week now and still no major discussion of it on this group. Are we falling behind the experimentation curve here? Has anybody compared it to the Radeon yet?

While the Radeon's picture is better than the Geforce 2 GTS card's, it's a pain in the ass when I have to switch frequencies or resolutions through Power Strip, and they won't take unless I restart the computer. That's my major gripe with the Radeon. Bill

Bill:

Could you expand on why you have to do this as opposed to just setting up multiple inputs to your projector. Example: 1) for dvd, 2) a different one for HD if you're using that as well etc. Why would you need to continually alter rez on Power Strip for watching dvd?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
This is about the third thread I've made this reply http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

I've had an ELSA Geforce 2, Radeon LE and now a Visiontek Geforce 3. The Geforce 3 goes in my gaming/web computer while the Radeon LE is staying in the HTPC. I don't think they did anything new with the 2D on the GF3. The 3D is amazing, but that has little to do with home theater.

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike: I need to change refresh rates from 60 to 72 Hz. depending onwhether the original material was video or film based. And for some reason, my computer sometimeschanges the repfresh rat instantly and other times requires that I reboot. Haven't been able to figurew out why this is intermittant.

Namlemez: Have seen your replies and thanks. But haven't seen much from everynbody else and that is unusual for this board.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I can speculate at why no one else is trying them:

At $320 for the cheapest card, it isn't much of an impulse buy. Also, it has been fairly widely examined that they didn't change much in the 2D department and instead focused on the 3D engine. I personally didn't buy it for my HTPC but rather for my gaming computer.

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

·
Registered
850 Posts

Bill:

You have to also remember, the American economy is cooling http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif - people's stock options are (close to) worthless now.

OTOH, my Radeon setup NEVER require me to reboot whenever I change res or refresh. Might be time to reformat and reinstall the whole thing.

------------------

Ciao.

Muljadi Budiman

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.