AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any idea what the high definition video processor is all about?

----------------

The long awaited debut of the GeForce3 for the PC has arrived on store shelves, with VisionTek shipping their GeForce3 card starting this past Friday to major retailers, including Electronics Boutique, CompUSA, Best Buy among others.

The GeForce3 chipset from NVIDIA brings the power of the nfiniteFX Engine, Lightspeed Memory Architecture, High-Resolution Antialiasing (HRAA), along with a High-Definition Video Processor (HDVP) and other standard high-end card goodies such as TV-out. All of which allow the card to reach levels of performance that will make anyone from hard-core gamer, to grandmother drool at the visual effects. The card packs in 64MB of DDR SDRAM, which through the use of the Lightspeed Memory Architecture of the card, is capable of reaching an astonishing 7.36GB per second.

The VisionTek GeForce3 can be found on pricewatch.com for $355 USD and up (minus shipping and potential tax), or may be picked up at your local EB for $399 USD. NVIDIA is expected to launch its lower-cost NV17 chipset, or 'GeForce3 MX', at the beginning of summer for under $150 USD.

------------------

------------------

You are reading my signature.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The simple answer is a faster clock speed, taking over more graphical processing from the CPU, and the ability to program special graphical effects that runs on the video card. This allows the CPU to do other things where it would be processing graphics.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Do we anticipate that this card will replace the ATI Radeon as "the one to have" for HTPC application? I ask this considering the grief I still read in this forum over trying to make the radeon function in both the video and audio areas.

"On-hold awaiting fuctional technology".

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have been trying to understand exactly what the high definition video processor on my geforce 2 ultra will do with regard to HDTV. The nvidia website says all you need is a "low cost" digital TV receiver card and you are in business with HDTV. Does anyone understand how this works?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have tried for weeks to get information from them, and I'm a registered developer.

I do know that somehow the pixel pipes of the GF2 are involved, plus the clockrate of the chip.

A GF2/MX supposedly can't do 1080i/720p, but a GF2 Ultra and GF3 can.

How to enable it, I get no answer. I'll try and poke my contacts again.

Here's a few quotes from our exchange:

"Basically, our MPEG2 acceleration is tied directly into our 3D pipelines.

So

1) The faster the core clock, the faster our MPEG2 acceleration block will

run

2) GF2 MX only contain half of the pipes (2 vs 4) of the GF2 GTS, and

therefore the slower performance.

3) GF3 made additional improvements to the handle of MPEG2 streams, format

conversation, scaling, etc... to improve the HD acceleration even further.

"

and

"> > 1) PCI DTV tuner card

> > 2) Software HDTV decoder

> >

> > I don't know that either of these are available in retail yet.

> >

> > Our driver can already support MPEG2 decoding of HDTV resolution with

GF2

> > Ultra and GF3.

> >

"

------------------

What?! Me worry?

·
Registered
37 Posts
(I also was disappointed that the nvidia site made special mention of the HDTV capabilities of their new cards, when upon investigation this is vaporware.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey

I would like to be able to afford one of these. They go on sale in Australia "Real soon now" & retail price is looking to be in the range of AUD 1000 - 1100! I can get a nice stand alone DVD player for that, but I guess that's not the point. This card is going to have to be able to sing & jump through hoops regarding HTPC performance & set up to justify those sort of numbers Ah ain't technology wonderful.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I have one and I honestly think after playing with it, the 2D video quality is not different. The digital vibrance control is kind of interesting. It works as a very good contrast boost without the washout. Doesn't affect overlays or full screen games though. Now the 3D is another question as I can run any game out now at 1024x768 with 32bit color and their Quincunx antialiasing at very smooth framerates. The demos showing off the pixel and vertex shaders are also very cool to watch.

I've got a Radeon LE in my HTPC and I'm sticking with that for now.

From their webpage, I gleaned the HDVP hasn't changed from the Geforce 2 (since it says GF2 and not GF3 all over it)and is really nothing but a scaling engine.

------------------

Cal Z.

Mits 65903 (65" widescreen HDTV)+ RCA DTC-100

and

Gateway Destination 27" (Princeton Arcadia based)+HTPC (Pentium II 400, 256mb, 20gb+9gb HD, Radeon LE, cybertainment tv tuner, asus dvd-rom, hercules game theater xp, Kenwood VR409 DTS receiver)

[email protected]

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.