AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I appologize if this has been answered before, but I am new to the anamorphic scene and I had a simple question. I have a 138" 2:35 screen and a throw of about 14 ft. I have a JVC RS1 and can easily throw a 16:9 image (110") on the screen from that distance, but am unable to zoom it out enough to fill the entire 138" anamorphic picture from that distance. My question is: If I use an anamorphic lens, would it stretch my 110" 16:9 image out to fill the entire 138" 2:35 screen? This would be the only way I could fill my entire screen since I am limited to a 14' throw distance. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
With a lens you would expand the 110" wide image by 33% which would give you 146" width, so you could actually zoom the RS1 back a little to fit the image on the screen, which would also increase your throw figure (this is good
).

Put another way, you'd have a 16:9 image of approx 104" wide if you were setup with the lens to fill your 138" wide 2.35:1 screen (104=138/1.33). The 104" 16:9 figure combined with the 14' distance would give you a throw of 1.6 (14' = 168", 168/104=1.6) which isn't ideal but still workable (depending on which lens you use). You may get a little more pincushion with this short throw, but this could be lost by slightly overzooming and it would be hidden by the screen border.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
16 Posts
The answer is yes, it would as long as the anamorphic lens is a horizontal expansion lens (not verticle compression lens) AND the lens can handle that small of a throw ratio. The dimensions you provided results in a throw ratio of about 1.62, and is typically too small for many commercial anamorphic lensesthe overall result could introduce vignetting.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I would probably use a Home Theater Brothers or something comparable in price. I wanted to keep it under $500 and this seems to be my only option to filling out the entire width. I would be happy to take any other suggestions on lenses. Thanks

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Look out for a used Isco II lens. This is what I use and it's quite a bit sharper than prism lenses and it has astigmatism (focus) adjustment for the sharpest image. I don't know what they go for over there though. I have a HD350 at a longer throw, which means I hardly get any pincushion, though my screen is only 112" wide, so smaller than yours.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S /forum/post/19576423

it has astigmatism (focus) adjustment for the sharpest image

Not to mention, it is also corrected for CA as well

·
Registered
305 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S /forum/post/19576423

Look out for a used Isco II lens. This is what I use and it's quite a bit sharper than prism lenses and it has astigmatism (focus) adjustment for the sharpest image. I don't know what they go for over there though. I have a HD350 at a longer throw, which means I hardly get any pincushion, though my screen is only 112" wide, so smaller than yours.

Does the ISCO II handle a 1.6 throw ratio?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.