Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I would first like to thank everyone for their help... I am up and running on HD, saw the NCAA finals last night in HD, AWESOME !!!

I have a couple of more questions for the veterans here, which I fear are very newbie type questions but that is what these forums are for, right?

Equipment, WS55807 (red push attenuator installed, very easy to make, impressed with the directions on the forum, made the WORLD of difference), SATHD100, channelmaster stealth antenna.

1) I receive three of the four digital channels in the area (Cary, NC), with some drop out. I have the antenna in the attic... should I install the channelmaster amp ($30) to compensate for going through the roof of the house?

2) My sony SATHD100 has two VHF/UHF inputs on the back, one analog and one digital. I currently have my antenna plugged into the digital input. Do I need to split this and also plug it into the analog input to receive the analog stations?

3) 90 % of my channels (analog) are oriented at 130 degrees but there are a couple at 235 degrees. With the stealth being a unidirectional antenna, what are the chances of getting these other couple of channels? Can you have two antennas pointing in two different directions coming into the same cable to compensate for this?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance

--Charles

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone ????

·
Registered
630 Posts
Charles,

Yes you can use more than one antenna and feed the signal onto the same run of coax. The trick is to keep them from interfering with each other. You could point two highly directional antennas (narrow beamwidth) at the two directions and use a simple combiner. Or if that doesn't work well (only trial and error will tell) then there is a product called a jointenna made by Channel Master that combines a bandpass and notch filter and is used to add a single channel to a multichannel setup without interference.

Scott

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'm curious as to what's at 235. Most all the towers in Raleigh are out in the Clayton direction. The only "common" channel you might have problems with is UNC-TV out of Chapel Hill (analog).

I'd just use a splitter/combiner and feed both inputs and see where it took me first and punt from there if I needed to. I'm 40 miles east of you and use a Stealth with it's built-in pre-amp and I have very little problems. I can even pick up the digital feed (new) from WCTI in New Bern without even having to rotate the antenna and it's > 75 miles away.

I have been discouraged time and again by "TV people" from combining two different antennas into one because of the ghosting and multipath problems it has the potential to introduce. You can add the pre-amp that's made for that antenna (about $45) and it'll boost your signal but it's also going to raise your noise floor too. Any chance you can get that antenna out of the attic? Never mind... You live in Cary! LMAO!

On a sidebar, I can't believe that the Sony has two seperate RF inputs for analog and digital. Anybody know what the rationale was behind that decision? My guess would be for a dedicated VHF for analog and UHF for digital? While that sounds like a nice idea, isn't it an unnecessary addition of cost for 95% of consumers? I'm missing something here obviously.

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

[This message has been edited by LearningMan (edited 04-04-2001).]

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Scott and Learningman...

Learningman,

235 points to WB. Don't really care about 90% of their shows but from 6-8pm, they have Simpsons, Friends, Fraiser, etc... When I went to TitanTV and just put in WB22 they said to orient towards 235, but I can give up that station if I have to. All of the others seem to be around 110 degrees, towards Clayton as you stated. I watched the NCAA finals the other night with little dropout, but last night, I was watching something on CBS HD and was losing it every 10 seconds or so. That is why I was wondering if an amp might help. As you said, they make an amp specifically for that antenna. What stations do you get, and which way are you pointing? Do you get the WB? As far as the sony is concerned, yes there are two inputs on the back, now I might be missing something here also, maybe the digital input can get the analog stations also, but in my case that is not true.

Thanks...

Thanks..

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Honestly, you probably wouldn't even need the amp IF you get that antenna out of the attic and on the roof. Or at least, that is where I would start. If you decide to use a splitter to hook both RF inputs, an amp might be necessary, but be careful not to put too much amplification in - it produces results like not enough signal.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Scooper is right about one thing for sure. You probably won't need the amp if you can get that thing rooftop but in all seriousness; that really can be a problem in some areas of Cary, NC. For the benefit of those of you who "ain't from 'round here," that particular area is infamous for their rules and regulations and laws (yes LAWS! Not homeowners regulations... Real live honest-to-goodness LAWS! LOL) about how you can maintain your personal property. They even have town ordinances regarding the COLORS you can use on your shingles on your roof! Mounting that thing outside really might not be an option for him unfortunately.

I do disagree about the two leads in. with 12"-18" leads from the combiner/splitter (a high quality 2gig one not the cheap ones); the loss of signal should be relatively negligiable.

------------------

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Chumphrey:

I actually live about 10 miles from the CM plant in Smithfield NC and a lot of the engineers over there are friends of mine so you might say I... "cheated." http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Stark Electronics on-line carries about the entire CM product line and they have very good pricing and I have always had great service from them. Alan and David might carry it at AVScience but I don't recall ever seeing that kind of thing on their site. If you're in a hurry, there's a wholesale distributor in Fuquay that carries it I know. It's called DSI. Private e-mail me if you need the phone number. Ask for Carolyn.

------------------

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Kelvin:

With all due respect I understand what you're saying but I stringently disagree. I'm not questioning your opinion as you might be a professional broadcast engineer too but I had two senior engineers from WRAL-TV in Raleigh (one of the most successful/bleeding edge CBS affiliates in the country) at my home for 8 hours with their truck/mast one day and we put up almost literally every model CM made on my roof and the Stealth was the ONLY one that produced a reliable signal. THAT was the reason WRAL chose the StealthTenna for their digital "antenna give-away."

Terrain and many other factors including weather, ambient temperature, average cloud cover, elevations and many other things factor into what the "best" antenna may be for a particular area of the country. Around here, it has been proven with REAL equipment that the Stealth wins hands-down within approxmately a 50 mile radius of "transmitter park" in Clayton.

Your area might be different. I have 3 senior engineers at THE CM plant 15-20 miles from me that are good friends of mine and two senior engineers at WRAL-TV that will come on here and tell you exactly the same thing.

------------------

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Scooper:

I know all about those laws because I run a large DSS forum. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

Trust me. You're from Youngsville and probably watch WRAL. You should know that Cary is a Nation-State in and of itself. They walk to a different tune over there. They have a LOT of laws (local ordinances) there that wouldn't fly anywhere else in the country probably. Heck, WRAL has at least one-two stories every week about that kind of crap over there. It's their utopia and everyone that's ever tried to fight it has lost... BIG. I have several relatives that live there and they love it. They can have it as far as I'm concerned. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
As I said, EVEN CARY TOWN GOVERNMENT can't take away your priviledge to put up an antenna. Period. End of discussion. The FCC has FINAL ruling on this.

And I have lived in a similar place (Reston VA) - that made Cary seem like a breath of fresh air.

And I will never live in those types of places again...

BTW, what's your DBS forum that you run ? I might want to check it out.

[This message has been edited by Scooper (edited 04-04-2001).]

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I understand Scooper and I agree with and fully understand what you're saying. I have seen relatives spend "ungodly" amounts of money fighting silly ordinances over there sheerly on principle only to fold and throw in the towel. Seems the city of Cary's tax money never runs out when paying for their lawyers. THAT'S my point. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

It's a pissin' contest one doesn't want to get into unless one is willing to get really wet and stay that way for a while. You're right, IF somebody ever REALLY fights it, they will prevail but alas most of the people that live there believe in those rules which makes it an even harder battle to win.

I have answered your other question via e-mail. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi All,

While guys, I live in Cary. In two weeks I will ordering my Mitsubishi HDTV and Settop box through my job at Mitsubishi. I already have a DSS Sat is plain view of the street. The antenna for HiDef is going right on top of the DSS DISH. All of this in plain view. If any body wants to challenge my instillation I will just hand them a copy of the FCC rules. After that I will contact the FCC.

------------------

Bruce.in.Cary

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Even the Town government of Cary cannot prevent you from putting up a TV antenna (or DBS dish). See http://www.fcc.gov/csb/facts/otard.html for more information. They CAN require that said antenna be installed safely.

·
Registered
196 Posts
There are only two VHF digital television channel allocations in North Carolina - one in Morehead City, and one in Greenville.

All of the remaining DTV allocations are UHF. The STEALTHtenna is not very efficient at UHF reception - even Channel Master will admit this.

Suggest you change to a UHF-only antenna like the CM3022 suburban yagi, or CM 3021 4-bay screen. Your reception should be improved tremendously. The 3021 has aborad beamwidth, which means you won't have to rotate it as much to pick up stations in other directions.

Go to www.projectorexpert.com for more articles about antennas and reception of DTV signals.

KC

·
Registered
196 Posts
BTW - combining two antennas for additional gain is a tricky process. It involves precise stacking distances and the use of matching sections. The antennas need to be in the same plane and phased correctly. Otherwise, out-of-phase signals and multipath will just cause more problems.

Using two antennas in two different directions through one combiner won't work either if two versions of the received DTV or analog signal are combined - again, phasing problems will cancel out signals and cause drop-out.

One antenna can be split to two separate inputs on the Sony. The analog receiver will grab the analog chanels, and the digital receiver will grab its channels. Why Sony didin't just go with one antenna input is a mystery to me, too.

KC

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
FWIW, whether or not the town of Cary decides to "fight" antenna installation, they will be fighting with the Feds, not the individual. The FCC ruling invalidates both ordinances and lawsuits - a judge would immediately throw out any suit against an individual. The exception would be someone that installs an antenna that doesn't conform to the FCC document (i.e., a satellite dish more than one meter across, or an antenna with a mast over 12').

------------------
BOYCOTT DVI/HDCP & JVC!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.