AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Post your general projector questions here, and hopefully people here can answer them.

When is it better to turn off/on a lamp based projector? If you are going away for 10 minutes from the screen, is it better for the lamp/bulb to shut down and then start up upon return? Or, is it better for the lamp/bulb to just leave running for those 10 minutes? Where's the cutoff time?

I own a BenQ HT2150st, are you better off replacing the lamp/bulb before it burns out/explodes? It's a problem for the w1070 & w1080st if the bulb explodes. Is it the same for the 2150 with the larger case?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
Post your general projector questions here, and hopefully people here can answer them.

When is it better to turn off/on a lamp based projector? If you are going away for 10 minutes from the screen, is it better for the lamp/bulb to shut down and then start up upon return? Or, is it better for the lamp/bulb to just leave running for those 10 minutes? Where's the cutoff time?
Leave it on. A UHP lamp is short for ultra-high-pressure. The lamp is filled with mercury vapor at a pressure of approximately 3000 psi and a set of electrodes; there is no filament.

When you start the projector, several thousand volts of electricity are generated in the projectors power supply/blast controlled by a driver circuit and conducted through the lamps electrodes creating an arc using the mercury vapor as a discharge medium.
In general, a UHP lamps life deteriorates a certain percentage every time you use it and the total number of times it is turned on and off. In other words, a lamp could have fewer hours on it but turned on and off more frequently and be in worse condition than the same lamp with higher hours but fewer on/off cycles. Short on/off cycles can also damage the electrode shape which will decrease the lamps illumination efficiency and life.

I own a BenQ HT2150st, are you better off replacing the lamp/bulb before it burns out/explodes? It's a problem for the w1070 & w1080st if the bulb explodes. Is it the same for the 2150 with the larger case?

Thanks!
As stated, a UHP lamp is filled and pressurized with mercury vapor to approximately 3000psi. That pressure is increased during power on operation. If you run it until it explodes, you risk damage to the projector from shards of the quartz envelope exploding with excess of 3000psi force. Additionally, you will have the high pressure discharge of mercury vapor to your surrounding area.

Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you b-curry, you answered my questions. That's good to know, leave the projector on. So if you can, you're better off replacing the bulb/lamp before it goes out/explodes. I'm becoming a bigger laser fan by the day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts