AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Toshiba 36'' direct view tv bought in 2001. I am just wondering what the estimated lifespan for this type of tv is. The picture is still outstanding. Basically how long do they usually last until they reach half life. I don't have the specific model number on me but a general idea is all I am wondering.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Depends entirely on how hard you are driving the TV. If you calibrated it from day 1 ... you could likely expect well over 10 to 15 years of life. But then ... capacitors and resistors do fail every so often so YMMV.

Regards

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I use to have a Panasonic 36", Contrast 75% and Brightness 50% and it lasted 8 years. And watching it like 6-10 hours daily, playing video games like FFVII and others like that which are very long.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have a 13 year old 27" Mitsubishi (branded as Electrohome in Canada) that is still working quite nicely.

The only problem is that there is a thin vertical line down the middle of the screen which is only visible in dark scenes.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
I have a 17-year-old RCA 27-incher that's still still going strong. Overall, it hasn't gotten super heavy use, but I've been using it more since I hooked up a digital OTA tuner to it a few months ago.

The odd thing is, for a few months before that, the set occasionally went blank briefly (a second or so) with a loud "popping" sound from the speakers. I was worried that the picture tube might be about to die, so I bought the digital tuner to see if I could get decent reception of digital broadcasts. I figured if I got good results, I could go ahead and buy a new HDTV to replace the old RCA. But since I hooked up the digital tuner, I haven't had the picture go out on me once! :eek:

So maybe the problem with the RCA is in the (analog) tuner. I don't feel as much pressure to buy a new TV now, so I'm taking my time checking out the market and watching for bargains. Overall, the PQ is a significant improvement on many stations over what I was getting before. I live in a fringe area so I was getting only a couple of stations really well. I have a bigger choice now.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Hi all,

My 26inch Mitsubishi is 20 years old and the picture still looks great. Set has a $136.00 repair about 3 years ago. Its now use for the PS2.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a Sony Trinitron 32" purchased in 2000. Power supply died late last year. Had it repaired at a cost of $100. Tube went 8 months later - would've been $200 for that repair, so I junked it. I'll never buy another Sony TV again - I don't care how good the PQ is.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the responses. I use my tv about 35 hours a week. It will be 4 years old in November 05. This may be a bit high estimate but the picture is still awesome. Too bad Toshiba is outsourcing their tube production. Hopefully the quality will stay the same. I know Sony is the number one favorite but this Toshiba 36Af has one of the clearest, sharpest pictures I have ever seen on a direct view tv. I am looking to upgrade to an LCD or Plasma but am leary because this picture is so fine. I was looking for an excuse to relegate this to the bedroom but I may wait a year until more of the issues are worked out with the larger LCD's and Plasma's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.