Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by emptyowe:
1) We have noticed that the picture is not quite as sharp as it looked in the store. Granted, yes I know that they were displaying HDTV at the store, and at home we are using just digital cable, but we are seeing what look like "halos" around the edges of things.
Visit www.***************.com. In brief, set contrast to 25%, brightness to 50%, sharpness to < 60%, IRIS off. Check advanced convergence. You may also need to do a focus, which is pretty involved. (Are the halos a color, usually blue?)

Broadcast NTSC looks pretty terrible compared to HD or well set-up DVD. Most people report that digital cable is also poor. Do you have a better source to compare?

Quote:
2) We didn't have a stand for the first day so we had the receiver, DVD, VCR, cable box, and center speaker sitting all on top of the TV. The sales guy said it was shielded and should be no problem. We noticed, when looking at a downward angle from above, a triangle of "rainbow", though you could not see this from out front of the TV.
See ***************.com again for more info than you can stand. I, and most others, have found that heavy components on top bend the cabinet enough to distort the screen stack and cause visual problems.

Quote:
3) In the settings on this TV, for display mode it has 480p and 960i. In the manual it says that the TV has the capability to "double" the lines of normal 480i broadcasts in either of the above two modes. I set it to 960i, but when I hit "Info" with either a DVD or Digital cable playing, it still shows it is in 480i mode. Any ideas on this? I know that these modes are in 480i by default, but what about the TV's feature of "doubling" the lines?
I think it always just displays the input resolution of the signal, not the displayed resolution. In any case, see hts.com, once again. Most folks think 480p is best and leave it there.

Quote:
4) We don't have the best of the best cables hooked up between the receiver and the TV right now. Will Monster Cables or some equivalent (suggestions welcomed) make that much of a difference? Might they eliminate the "halo" problem described above?
You can try -- does your cable box just have composite out? Composite will always look pretty so-so, even if the source is good. If your box supports S-Vid or component (quite unlikely), try a Monster cable of that sort and return it if no help.

Quote:
Notes: The "stretched" mode on this model is rather annoying...maybe it just takes getting used to... but if something is moving quickly from left to right or right to left across the screen, it looks silly, like the screen is a concave shape so the movement is not smooth. Maybe I just have to get used to watch regular TV on a 16:9 format screen. We have been watching in "Expanded" mode which chops off a little of the top and bottom, but at least it looks normal.
I mostly use expanded also. Sometimes narrow, but limit it to a few hours per week due to burn in concerns.

Opinion: for just watching NTSC, even digital cable, a 16x9 46" TV is barely worthwhile. The picture is never going to be really good unless you sit at least 15 or so feet away. But, HD and DVD's look great. You should try them if you can. Research the DVD player, though, and make sure you get a good prgressive one. (Yes, see ***************.com...)

------------------

R. Aster, scanning the forums

[This message has been edited by R. Aster (edited 05-23-2001).]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a few questions.. some of these may be general HDTV and some may be specific to this particular TV (WT-46807).

We bought one this weekend and have it all setup at home now.

1) We have noticed that the picture is not quite as sharp as it looked in the store. Granted, yes I know that they were displaying HDTV at the store, and at home we are using just digital cable, but we are seeing what look like "halos" around the edges of things. When the news came on and they had text on the screen, it had such a halo that it was very hard to read the smaller text. We have not noticed this before with our old 25" TV. I tried to fix this with the convergence settings but it didn't seem to help. I also tried the sharpness settings and no luck there either. We have not bought an extended warranty yet, but we plan to from the store we bought it from (Home Theater Store). This is through Philips Warranty and they offer in-house cleaning once a year. I'm wondering if we should have this done. Has anyone had their TV professionally calibrated, in-house? How much does this cost? Is it worth doing this?

2) We didn't have a stand for the first day so we had the receiver, DVD, VCR, cable box, and center speaker sitting all on top of the TV. The sales guy said it was shielded and should be no problem. We noticed, when looking at a downward angle from above, a triangle of "rainbow", though you could not see this from out front of the TV. I haven't checked this since we moved all of the components into the case. Is it possible that the TV has a defect or is this most likely just interference?

3) In the settings on this TV, for display mode it has 480p and 960i. In the manual it says that the TV has the capability to "double" the lines of normal 480i broadcasts in either of the above two modes. I set it to 960i, but when I hit "Info" with either a DVD or Digital cable playing, it still shows it is in 480i mode. Any ideas on this? I know that these modes are in 480i by default, but what about the TV's feature of "doubling" the lines?

4) We don't have the best of the best cables hooked up between the receiver and the TV right now. Will Monster Cables or some equivalent (suggestions welcomed) make that much of a difference? Might they eliminate the "halo" problem described above?

Notes: The "stretched" mode on this model is rather annoying...maybe it just takes getting used to... but if something is moving quickly from left to right or right to left across the screen, it looks silly, like the screen is a concave shape so the movement is not smooth. Maybe I just have to get used to watch regular TV on a 16:9 format screen. We have been watching in "Expanded" mode which chops off a little of the top and bottom, but at least it looks normal.

Thanks for any responses!

-Mike- [email protected]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.