AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I had purchased a Denon HTIB model # DHT-591ba. It sounded pretty good for the price and also considering it was a HTIB. Well, I decided to take it back to Best Buy and really get serious about my home theater. I read some reviews on CNET and decided to go with a Denon AVR-1911 Reciever and the Mirage MX 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers. After reading up on both items, I was prepared to be blown away. Unfortunately, that's not the case. It definitely sounds better than any home theater system I've owned yet, but for spending $1300 I really expected more. The clarity is a step up from what I previously had, but not as clear as I had hoped. There's still a bit of distortion every now and then. If anyone has any tips or suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe there are some settings that I'm unaware of. Btw, I used my audessy program with the mic to auto adjust my Speakers. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy /forum/post/19555816

Hey guys, I had purchased a Denon HTIB model # DHT-591ba. It sounded pretty good for the price and also considering it was a HTIB. Well, I decided to take it back to Best Buy and really get serious about my home theater. I read some reviews on CNET and decided to go with a Denon AVR-1911 Reciever and the Mirage MX 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers. After reading up on both items, I was prepared to be blown away. Unfortunately, that's not the case. It definitely sounds better than any home theater system I've owned yet, but for spending $1300 I really expected more. The clarity is a step up from what I previously had, but not as clear as I had hoped. There's still a bit of distortion every now and then. If anyone has any tips or suggestions for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Maybe there are some settings that I'm unaware of. Btw, I used my audessy program with the mic to auto adjust my Speakers. Thanks guys.

Mirage set is actually sort of HTIB. So you can't expect too much from it. But can you explain what kind of distortion do you hear?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
To be honest, JewDaddy, you shortchanged yourself on those speakers. $800 is barely enough for either a good subwoofer or a speaker set, much less both.

Most likely the reason they’re distorting is the little 2.5” woofers they have. I don’t care what Mirage claims, you can’t get “substantial low-distortion bass performance” from a “woofer” that tiny. And what’s up with the tweeter pointing at the ceiling? No wonder clarity isn’t that great.

I’d suggest returning the speakers for something with at least a 5” woofer. 6” would be even better. That’d leave you without a sub, but you can upgrade to that later.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's kind of depressing to hear. I actually thought I did good this time. So are you saying that the Receiver is still good, and that I should just get different speakers? Also, I have no problem taking those back, but if I do, does anyone have any suggestions on what I need to get. I am pretty much at a loss right now. I don't want to spend more than a $1,000 on speakers and a sub. Can that get me something that will wow me without breaking the bank? If I have to a little over, than I can. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh I almost forgot, the distortion I am hearing is when there is alot off bass going on in a movie or game. It's not alot but it was enough to bother me. There no distortion in the sub, just the front left speaker. And, seeing as the tweeter in the speakers are pointing up, if you mount them 6th or more off the ground, you mount the speaker upside down.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
- "upside down", in this case, means "inverted", not "pointing at the ceiling"...

- it's not surprising they distort when you "have a lot of bass"... that poor little driver is probably getting killed in there...

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewDaddy /forum/post/19556690

I don't want to spend more than a $1,000 on speakers and a sub.

You can get five speakers for that price, but sub will cost extra. If you want to stay under $1000, look at used market (Audiogon?). You can find nice deals with 30-50% off original retail price.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, I started looking online and came across this speaker package. What do you guys think? Will it be a significant difference over the MIrage MX 5.1 system I have? Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
How about HSU's packages start you off with a relatively higher sensitivity, which is a very important aspect in HT.

Every 3db in higher sensitivity, equates to a doubling of power. So for any given listening level, your amplifier is operating half as hard,...and those power reserves are in high demand in the wildly dynamic nature of HT.

Additionally, the HSUs, or any other product that has some measure of directivity control (waveguide/horn), has the ability to focus more energy toward the primary listening area, and off the walls. This results in more direct sound and less reflected energy at the LP.

Sensitivity=Good

Directivity=Good

Good luck

·
Registered
316 Posts
My first HT system was a denon 1707 with Klipsch Quintet III's and the matching sub that is sold separately. I honestly was really happy with the system and even though I have "upgraded" since then, I have kept the system because I just couldnt part with it.

I bought it because I had two relatives that worked at best buy as installers and swore by it saying it was the best bang for the buck when it comes to the cheaper systems.

If you are considering it, best buy usually sells the sub and the 5 speaker quintet system for half off at various times of the year.

Edit:

I have to add that it rocked for movies, kind of sucked for music. But my primary concern was movies and video games so it was perfect for me.

·
Registered
318 Posts
If best buy is your shopping location, and it sounds like they have a magnolia. Check out the definitive 600 package or step up to the 800 both are strong options. Or just buy a mirage 8" sub ~350

Have you run the room EQ on your denon yet? Also corner load the sub and see if you can take the sub volume down some. It won't fix the lackluster sub but it could help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts